Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Primark

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I just want to see if there is anybody out these who dislikes Primark as much as I do?

The clothes are covered in bobbles so look like they've already been worn and washed before you get them home. The jewellery is cheap, tacky and downright NASTY (today I bought some absolutely hideous fake gold stuff as part of a pirate costume!) The people in there are an eclectic mix of odd folk and I don't know whether to laugh aloud at their horrendous and often ostentatious outfits or take them out and buy them a pair of tights that aren't electric green.

So, is there anybody at all who can't stand the place? Anybody..?

Disclaimer: I was only in there to buy things for our fancy dress outfits. :angel:

Comments

• Options
    I went to Primark today for the first time in ages and their clothes have barely changed in ages - but some things they do like jackets which for their purpose are excellent buys - like I got a yellow jacket for winter to keep me warm and it does the job better then any other coat I have - I can go out in a T-Shirt if I want with this thing and it will keep me warm. And the attention to detailsis excellent, with different pockets and toggles, etc.
  • Options
    I HATE Primark. I hate it's cheap-ness, it's disposable-ness and downright nastiness.

My worst fear is dressing like the masses, so get me into a Primark and I'm ready to have a heart attack. All you get in their are clones, all vying for the same items that are pictured in the latest issue of Heat magazine.
    Girls clawing their way through what looks like a jumble sale, just so they can swoon over cheap nasty fabrics that crumple in minutes of putting them in a carrier bag.

Pure and utter filth imo. (Yes, I have such an empty life, I feel the need to rant about my pure hatred for the shop known as Primark! Meh.)
  • Options
    My worst fear is dressing like the masses

You'll grow up some day :)
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    You'll grow up some day :)
    Some people don't change. I'm as likely to change that part of me, as I am likely to win a nobel peace prize.
  • Options
    Some people don't change. I'm as likely to change that part of me, as I am likely to win a nobel peace prize.

Talkling complete and utter shite. You'll spend so much time trying to be an individual that you'll wake up some day and reaslise your 50 and just fucked about your whole life.

Primark is class, I can walk in, spend £20 and come out with a whole new outfit. And to be fair, no one is actually going to give a fuck what label is on it, it's such a teenage thing to care who's wearing what label. So yeh, you ca waste all your money trying to "hip", but at the end of the day, you can get as much clothes as possible for fuck all! Yip ya, yip yo! :thumb:
  • Options
    Primark was ace last year but I don't often see anything I like in there now. It is good for jumper dresses at the moment though! And if you need some basic tops then you can't beat primark. They do great knickers too although their sizing is odd.
  • Options
    Primark means I can have new clothes every month instead of having to save up 3 months to buy one thing, so yeah, I think it's ace.

The sizing's rubbish, and it's a bit shady ethically, but I can't really afford to shop elsewhere atm. Primark, ebay and charity shops make up 95% of my wardrobe.
  • Options
  • Options
    Love Primani! Getting a bit too pricey nowadays, mind you. Got a dead nice shower curtain the otherday for £4.00 so it kinda redeemed itself. :razz:

Starting to go to Zara and Marks and Sparks if I want my basics, but saying that I have a mustard coloured tshirt on from Primani on just now and you wouldn't know it was only £2.50. :blush:

Love the leggings at Primani, toooooo. Dead good to wear with denim shorts, chunky cardigan and scuffy brown boots. Perfect autumny wear if you sling a slouchy wooly hat and leather jacket in....or a PLEATHER jacket from Primark which cost me £12 and is my second love in life.
  • Options
    I don't like the disposable fashion idea, because I find it hard enough to find clothes that I like and that fit me as it is and then when I do I want them to last, not fall apart, you know?

I don't care if everyone wants to look and wear the same (apart from Ilora because she is unique etc) because it's up to them but quality wise I think it's shit. Like a jumble sale as well, it's one of the worst shops I've ever been in. I'd never buy anything for myself from there.

But then I am a bag lady, clothes wise, so my opinion probably doesn't matter. To quote my sister, if she wanted my fashion advice she would wear a sack :(
  • Options
    There isnt a primark round here so if i buy something from there its unlikely many people in the town would have the same thing. Not that id give a fuck anyway. Id be quite happy wearing plain trousers jeans and a plain tshirt every day anyway as its my inner glamour and beauty ;) that makes me me, not something i can buy in a shop:thumb:
  • Options
    (apart from Ilora because she is unique etc)

:D
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I love it, but there isnt one here, so I aint been in ages.

Sometimes there is some shite in there, but I normally find a good few bargains to wander home with.

I have a question Ilora, if you want to be individual and unique, where do you shop?

Coz the last time I looked, werent you claiming benefits? So I assume you cant afford boutiques?!

Anything else surely is bulk manufactured, and therefore (correct me if I am wrong) is not unique?
  • Options
    Primark is for clothes what Macdonalds is for food...

Dirty, tacky and cheap looking.

But then for ethical reasons I rarely shop anyway, or I go to charity shops.
  • Options
    I dislike Primark, but sometimes needs must. Like when I started a proper job and had to kit myself out with clothes for work, it helped my bank balance out a lot.
  • Options
    I had never been to Primark before until a few weeks ago as I wanted to look for a cheap top for a night out. It was really unpleasant, women everywhere clawing at things, busy, hot and a guy wondering around with a broom to sweep up all the dust, dirt and mostly clothing that had fallen to the ground.

I found a nice looking top that I wanted to try on, but the queue for the changing rooms was so long, I thought fuck it, and left.

As far as clothing goes, I can't really afford to buy anything at the moment, which is why I was prepared to give shops like this a go. But now that I spend most of my time in hospital, I need to dress smartly, so I find Zara good for bits and pieces. Casual stuff, I still have tops from 7 - 8 years ago that are still good. I don't think I could say the same about Primark if I bought from there, so for my needs, I'm happy to abstain at the moment.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Primark is for clothes what Macdonalds is for food...

Dirty, tacky and cheap looking.

I'd love to see what non-dirty, tacky and cheap looking clothes you wear.
  • Options
    i dont understand the snobbery behind it to be honest

NOTHING has ever fallen apart on me, nothing has shrunk in the wash etc...

shoes are comfy, prices are good

i always have nice compliments about what i wear, and last week was described as classy by some girl i didnt even know...so no, its not cheap, tacky and nasty (just cheap)

i've paid 3x the price for things in new look and they havent lasted as long as primark

as for it not being unique...its how you wear it, how you mix and match it

for example, i have a mustard tea dress that i wear with black tights on a night out n it looks glam

however, my mate wears it over jeans with a waistcoat and it looks equally fab

unless you go to an expensive botique, or make your own clothes, i'm afraid you're about as unique as the next person...
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »

I think it's something to do with us lot who buy our clothes from places that other people buy their clothes from (?!) looking like mindless, 'conformist' drones who are all wearing some sort of uniform for some giant army of non individual people.

We're also probably having our minds controlled by the ready meals we eat and the brainwashing on tv.

Is that about right?
  • Options
    Haha, love the mixed reposnses! I don't care if I wear the same jeans / top / dress as someone else, since there are only so many clothes and millions of people it's unlikely I'm ever going to be an individual! It's not that that I don't like! It's the jumble sale element of it, and the fact that you know anything you've bought has probably spent half the morning lying on the floor. Most of the clothes are my idea of Hell anyway, as described by 1983...
    Love the leggings at Primani, toooooo. Dead good to wear with denim shorts, chunky cardigan and scuffy brown boots.

ARGH!! And to defend Primark by saying stuff from New Look hasn't lasted as long is hardly a reasoned argument. :sour:

Here is the 'classy' jewellery I got yesterday:
  • Options
    I think your experience of primark differs between each store. The new one in cardiff and the one in the metro centre are bigger and nicer to shop in. the one in newcastle city centre is a nightmare

anyway considering my spending budget at the moment is about 30 quid a week i'm relying on primark to get me some winter clothes as i've grown out of my stuff from last year. it definitely is how you wear the clothes. if you can afford not to shop in primark then lucky you - go for it! i'd rather shop in topshop or h&m but at this moment i can't afford that so primark does the trick :thumb:
  • Options

I agree. The sizing is rubbish, and you do have to try everything on to see, but the actual quality (especially stuff like the t-shirts, jumpers, jeans etc) is comparable to any other high street shop. I've got tops that I bought at uni (5ish years ago) that are still totally fine!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Talkling complete and utter shite. You'll spend so much time trying to be an individual that you'll wake up some day and reaslise your 50 and just fucked about your whole life.

Primark is class, I can walk in, spend £20 and come out with a whole new outfit. And to be fair, no one is actually going to give a fuck what label is on it, it's such a teenage thing to care who's wearing what label. So yeh, you ca waste all your money trying to "hip", but at the end of the day, you can get as much clothes as possible for fuck all! Yip ya, yip yo! :thumb:

:yes:

I go for cheap clothes too. But they have to be non offensive to my tastes, so nothing too extreme. I think a lot of the 'this shop is much better' is a bit daft really, most of them come from the same place anyway, and are just slightly different designs - but all rip offs for what's 'in' that season.

My suit that I wear for professional kind of jobs / interviews etc. came from Matalan. Shock horror.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

My suit that I wear for professional kind of jobs / interviews etc. came from Matalan. Shock horror.

Mine is Tesco.

Have been complimented on it on several occasions!
  • Options
    tbh, i prefer peacocks and matalan, and i do feel guilty just stepping over the threshold of primark...

like namaste, i prefer charity shops for ethical and moral reasons...and TX max is very close, and always a goody...
  • Options
    Mine is Tesco.

Have been complimented on it on several occasions!

Heh, my shoes are tesco, but I don't shop much there because the clothes section doesn't cater for me needs (xxxxs mens)
  • Options

shoes are comfy, prices are good

i always have nice compliments about what i wear, and last week was described as classy by some girl i didnt even know...so no, its not cheap, tacky and nasty (just cheap)

i've paid 3x the price for things in new look and they havent lasted as long as primark

as for it not being unique...its how you wear it, how you mix and match it

for example, i have a mustard tea dress that i wear with black tights on a night out n it looks glam

however, my mate wears it over jeans with a waistcoat and it looks equally fab

unless you go to an expensive botique, or make your own clothes, i'm afraid you're about as unique as the next person...

Hit the nail on the head there:yes: :thumb:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I think your experience of primark differs between each store. The new one in cardiff and the one in the metro centre are bigger and nicer to shop in. the one in newcastle city centre is a nightmare

No, they're all shit. I was in the Metro Centre store yesterday and I was the only person who wasn't dressed like I fell in the Bargain Bin in TopShop.
  • Options
    I love primark but up here (in aberdeen) we have a huge 3 floor one, and I think it's the most northern (if that's the right way to put it, ie. there's none further north..) in Scotland, which means it's always packed out! Once stood in a queue for 40 minutes!!

Usually go there for bed stuff or holiday clothes - ie. stuff that i won't wear a lot, but yeah it's also good for things that are on trend - and the best part being that if you're a fashion victim then you can get whatever's 'in' and it shouldn't cost too much. Though I agree with the fact that the jewellery's a bit tacky and cheap!

However, its not favourite shop and I much prefer new look/ Jane Norman/ warehouse lol
  • Options
    I'm not keen on Primark, although I have a few things I like from there: a turquoise jumper, and a plain black top with jewelled neckline.

Usually I walk in and after 20 seconds walk out as I can't bear it. Especially the one in Birmingham.