Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

pregnant and on pill??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey....ive been on the pill for bout 3yrs...never miss it, but have been taking topical antibiotics for my skin recently. Can this reduce the success of the pill??
Ive been feeling sick and bloated in the last week, and have put on a bit of weight round my tummy...anyone have any advice??? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    do a pregnancy test is my only advice.
    Some antibiotics do reduce the efficiency of the pill, and if youre pregnant enough to get symptoms, youll be pregnant enough for a test to be accurate.

I hope its the result you want :)
  • Options
    do i have to wait a certain amount of time before doing a test thou?? i dont have periods anymore seeing as thou im on the pill, so i dunno if it will be accurate??
  • Options
    As I said, I think if you were far along enough in a pregnancy to start getting bloated and feeling sick, then youre probably far enough along that a test would be accurate.

How long ago was the course of antibiotics?
    A pregnancy test should be accurate around two weeks after fertilisation (if it occured)
    If its positive, then the sooner you know, the better.
    If its negative, then if it was me, id re-test again in a week just in case, and if that was negative too, then id safely assume i wasnt pregnant.
  • Options
    cool......i'll prob do a test tday then.
    still on the antibiotics, only started them a few weeks ago and have to take them for another 2 months :-( its just so difficult to know when u dont get periods anymore!!!!
  • Options
    Are they topical antibiotics or oral ones?

Or easier question, is it a cream/gel/lotion you put on your skin (topical) or are you taking tablets (oral)?

The creams etc are supposed to be fine with the pill, the tablets can reduce it's effectiveness. Did the doctor who prescribed them know you were on the pill?

If you're worried it's worth doing a pregnancy test, but also talking to a doctor or pharmacist to find out whether or not there's an interaction.
  • Options
    I've always been advised to use other temporary options (eg condoms) if using any other medication as it can alter the efficacy of the drug.

Consult your local sexual health nurse or clinic if you're still concerned :)