Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rotton Tooth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I've got a rotton tooth, I've had it for ages, a year or two maybe and it doesn't hurt or bother me, isn't rotting more but i'm starting to think i should maybe get it sorted. the reason i haven't previously is because im loathed to pay £60 odd for it. but now i am in austria and im wonderin if health insurance would cover it? any ideas? obv i have the ehic but top up insurance too.the tooth started as a cracked tooth, well still is i suppose. thankies.

Comments

• Options
    No idea about the Austrian health care thing but you should have a cracked tooth looked at - there's more bacteria in a person's mouth then anywhere else on the body, some of which could get into your bloodstream.

If you had some kinda infection you could have something that would spread from tooth to tooth. - whatever you do you should get it looked at.
  • Options
    You should get it looked at, but it's also worth checking whether or not your health insurance will cover it.

Lots of insurance doesn't cover pre existing problems.
  • Options
    I don't think it would cost you £60 to get it sorted in this country:

See the pdf here
  • Options
    It depends on what's wrong with it. If it's a root canal, it'll cost around £150 (which is still cheaper than the £280 for a private one). If she doesn't want a silver filling, she'll have to pay for a white one. My teeth got really really bad, and the NHS dentists wouldn't touch me because they wouldn't be reimbursed enough for their time under the new system - they're paid the same amount 'per treatment', no matter how much time it takes. My treatment is costing approx £7000 altogether, there's no WAY the NHS would have covered it.
  • Options
    What they mean Sara is that they are greedy bastards who won't give you the treatment you need because they would rather cream off the profit. They are lucky that they can pick and choose their customers like that.

Worth also reporting them to the PCT because I have a feeling that they are breaching their NHS contract by refusing to treat you, as an NHS patient, under the NHS tariff system.

As for the OP, health insurance will not cover treatment for an existing ailment, only emergency health needs.
  • Options
    What they mean Sara is that they are greedy bastards who won't give you the treatment you need because they would rather cream off the profit. They are lucky that they can pick and choose their customers like that.

Or they can't be arsed to work for the NHS anymore because the new contract is rubbish beyond belief.
    Worth also reporting them to the PCT because I have a feeling that they are breaching their NHS contract by refusing to treat you, as an NHS patient, under the NHS tariff system.

NHS dentists don't have to take anyone on, and the new contract means that people don't stay 'registered' with a practise for very long, so unless you're doing for regular check ups you're a bit stuffed. The new contract also means that long treatment plans (people who need lots of work) are not attractive patients (often lucky to break even on overheads, let alone make a profit). It's also worth remembering that one of the reasons people can't get an NHS dentist is because the dentists who do offer NHS treatment are set a quota of how many units of NHS work they will get paid for a year, which is now where near enough to meet the demand.
  • Options
    Or they can't be arsed to work for the NHS anymore because the new contract is rubbish beyond belief.

Only if you are greedy. It's amazing how many Dentists are actually satisfied and adhering to the contract. They just don't make the news.
    NHS dentists don't have to take anyone on, and the new contract means that people don't stay 'registered' with a practise for very long, so unless you're doing for regular check ups you're a bit stuffed. The new contract also means that long treatment plans (people who need lots of work) are not attractive patients (often lucky to break even on overheads, let alone make a profit).

If you are registered with them as an NHS patient, the you should be getting NHS treatment. Full stop. Not just on those areas where they will make a tidy profit.

It's no different to a hospital refusing to treat you because you need a new hip. Hospitals actually lose money on those cases. The whole concept is that the negatives are far outweighed by the areas where profits can be made.
    It's also worth remembering that one of the reasons people can't get an NHS dentist is because the dentists who do offer NHS treatment are set a quota of how many units of NHS work they will get paid for a year, which is now where near enough to meet the demand.

In some areas.

In much of Kent the reverse is true and so I must use that experience.
  • Options
    It depends on what's wrong with it. If it's a root canal, it'll cost around £150 (which is still cheaper than the £280 for a private one). If she doesn't want a silver filling, she'll have to pay for a white one. My teeth got really really bad, and the NHS dentists wouldn't touch me because they wouldn't be reimbursed enough for their time under the new system - they're paid the same amount 'per treatment', no matter how much time it takes. My treatment is costing approx £7000 altogether, there's no WAY the NHS would have covered it.

how will you afford that? :no:
  • Options
    That's rough Sara, there is a way you can appeal for NHS dentist though I'm not sure how to do it. I do know it works though because I have a friend who is having to have teeth implact things, and a whole load of other work because she basically doesn't have any teeth left, she was refused, made some appeal thing and is now getting the work done under NHS.
  • Options
    I think I must be the only person in the whole of the UK to have a great NHS dentist. There are 12 dentists, open 8am-7pm Mon-Fri and 9am-3pm Saturday. I called last Tuedday and got an appointment the next day.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    I think I must be the only person in the whole of the UK to have a great NHS dentist. There are 12 dentists, open 8am-7pm Mon-Fri and 9am-3pm Saturday. I called last Tuedday and got an appointment the next day.

You aren't the only one. Just that stories like yours don't sell papers.
  • Options
    My treatment is costing approx £7000 altogether, there's no WAY the NHS would have covered it.

What you having done for that kinda money?

There was a programme on people flying to Poland to have work like that done, think one woman was quote £20,000 for some dental work in the UK and only £5,000 in Poland including 4 weeks in a nice hotel whilst the treatment took place, whilst in the UK it would take like 4 month..
  • Options
    god....im sorry and yeah its a ridiculous amount of money to pay for medical treatment but i dont understand how anyone can let their teeth get to the rotten stage. much less the needing to pay 7 grand stage.
  • Options
    paperdoll wrote: »
    god....im sorry and yeah its a ridiculous amount of money to pay for medical treatment but i dont understand how anyone can let their teeth get to the rotten stage. much less the needing to pay 7 grand stage.

Sometimes it isn't a case of 'letting' teeth get into any state. You can take great care of your teeth and gums and just have poor teeth anyway. My brother never used to do anything with his (gross, I know!) but they're still in perfect condition, whereas other people I know take great care and even floss daily only to be plagued by problems. Some people just have 'weak' teeth, like my mum. It doesn't mean she doesn't go for regular check ups and clean her teeth properly.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Sometimes it isn't a case of 'letting' teeth get into any state. You can take great care of your teeth and gums and just have poor teeth anyway. My brother never used to do anything with his (gross, I know!) but they're still in perfect condition, whereas other people I know take great care and even floss daily only to be plagued by problems. Some people just have 'weak' teeth, like my mum. It doesn't mean she doesn't go for regular check ups and clean her teeth properly.

Yes, definitely. I've got weakened tooth enamel (i think this is what sara has too, im not sure?) and even though I've always brushed my teeth twice a day, etc I've still got quite a few fillings :( and need more but I'm scared to go! And like your brother my brother used to do the same, and when we went to checkups together he would always be fine and I'd need a filling, well annoying.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    What you having done for that kinda money?

Six root canals, with porcelain crowns. Nine fillings. 6 more porcelain crowns, two veneers. Some of it is cosmetic and i would have had to pay for it even if it'd been done on the NHS - like i'm having white fillings instead of silver, special crowns which won't stain the gums (which some of them will), and the veneers. But still, it's pretty pricey - some of my teeth are going to cost about £600 each!

And no, paperdoll, it's not a case of that. Some people have malformed enamel on their teeth, and as such need more extensive dental treatment than others.

And I agree MOK, I should have had a reasonable amount of it done on the NHS, but part of the reason it's costing that much (and they're so bad) is because we spent two and a half years being passed from dental surgery to surgery, to Guy's dental dept, to Kings... while noone would actually do anything about it. So we've paid for it before they get worse.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I think I'm gonna go see a dentist here and have a chat about it and if I can't sort it here and it's not a problem I'll wait till i'm back in England at christmas and go to the dental hosp in manchester. I know it really bad and lazy but I've had so much crap with my teeth and it's not bothering me in anyway and I keep putting it off.