Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Flatmates.

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Franki wrote: »
    I don't care about the butter. But I didn't spend money on a box of eggs just so everyone else could eat them. I wouldn't have even minded so much if they'd even asked if they could take the last one. I just think it's rude to take the last of something that you know doesn't belong to you.

Yea I agree, especially when they take all of it :(
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Yea I agree, especially when they take all of it :(
    Exactly :(
    I wouldn't have even minded so much if they'd even asked if they could take the last one. I just think it's rude to take the last of something that you know doesn't belong to you.

yes i do see where you're coming from but i reckon if you were to just mention it the one time it wouldn't be an issue in future

obviously some people are just different to others! i dont know if i would go and eat the last of someones food but i wouldnt be overly fussed if it was mine, because then it'd be fair game to eat theirs the next time ive none :D

just bring it up tho, they've probably got the mindset that they wouldnt be bothered if it was theirs, so wouldnt think differently for other people! :thumb:
    z- wrote: »
    yes i do see where you're coming from but i reckon if you were to just mention it the one time it wouldn't be an issue in future

obviously some people are just different to others! i dont know if i would go and eat the last of someones food but i wouldnt be overly fussed if it was mine, because then it'd be fair game to eat theirs the next time ive none :D

just bring it up tho, they've probably got the mindset that they wouldnt be bothered if it was theirs, so wouldnt think differently for other people! :thumb:

I concur.
    say something to them before resorting to writing over everything and being a food nazi. if they don't listen, then it's LABEL TIME MOTHERFUCKER!

as for washing up, well it's nearly always an issue. when i lived with 5 boys we had a rule 'wash what you use', but it only takes ONE person to not abide by the rule and everyone else ends up having to wash stuff before they want to cook. that's what happened with us anyway, and then because the one person wasn't doing their bit other people start to think 'well if he's leaving dirty stuff why should i wash my stuff' and it gets out of hand. thank god we had a dishwasher in our next flat.
    Addict wrote: »
    say something to them before resorting to writing over everything and being a food nazi. if they don't listen, then it's LABEL TIME MOTHERFUCKER!

Yeh, that's what I've done. I don't really see them, 'cause we're all in and out at such different times, so I left a note on the fridge. If it happens again I'll be like :mad:. But I'll just keep all stuff that doesn't need refridgerating in here with me.
    i just ended up speaking to people individually and asked them not to take my stuff without asking as i was on a very tight budget and couldn't afford to buy alot. They were fine about it.
    Try and say something before going haywire with the permanent marker, that just causes more aggravation not less, but if after a polite reminder people still nick all your stuff then take further action.

Most students are lovely, but there is always one selfish twat in every flat I've found, and they ruin it for everyone.

Be rational and explain it, and don't go off on one. Anyone who gets irate is probably the selfish twat who's nicking everything.
    My biggest issue with my last housemate was that he used to drink my milk. All of it. I would end up buying about 6 pints a week, just so I could have some cereal in the mornings (which was all I used it for..). It used to wind me up like nothing on earth, I'd tell him every single week not to use it, and he'd promise he wouldn't and then do it again. Hehe, I'm feeling wound up just thinking about it :p
    I got into the habit of checking i had milk before I put cereal in my bowl, just in case. The last week I was there, I checked for milk, and was amazed I had some. So I reached for my box of cereal, and the bastard had eaten every last flake! I sort of laugh about it now, but at the time, angry wouldn't even have come close :lol:
    Anyway, haven't got any advice really, just wanted to sympathise. Hope talking to them/notes works.

On this subject, there's a book out this year called something like 'I lick my cheese' and is a book full of snotty post-its students have left for each other :D
    Argh I hate people who steal food. The worst is things like butter because its quite cheap people go mad when you make a fuss about it, but it all adds up. In my first year people used to 'borrow' my milk which annoyed me, but in the 2nd year there was 2 fridges so I shared with one girl and we basically shared milk, butter etc, and most things were fair game as long as you replaced them if asked or donated something of yours! Although taking the last of something is always a no no. But if you're not happy with people taking your stuff then they shouldn't do it and thats the end of it. If anything goes missing again like the eggs I'd be inclined to walk around with the empty box and DEMAND to know who nicked them. If the bastards didn't nick the box as well :mad:
    Guess I was pretty lucky, when i lived in halls nobody used to take other peoples food. If anyone did, they would ask first.

Our problem used to be washing up. We would use every plate, cup, bowl and piece of cutlery, then argue over who was going to do the washing up. This stalemate could go on for weeks until someone caved and done the washing up.

If the girls did it, then we wouldnt hear the end of it for weeks. If the lads did it, the girls would just say it was our mess anyway. :D
    I'm not entirely sure how this suggestion is going to be received, but here goes... does all of your food have to be kept in the kitchen? OK, there are some items which simply have to go in there - frozen foods, for example, unless you've got a mini-fridge. I ended up keeping some of the food I bought in my own room, especially if it was unopened. It did no harm, and meant nobody could steal it. If you're in with a bunch of people whom you can't particularly trust, (and I certainly was) that might be an option.

As for people not cleaning up after themselves, that was much the same issue I had with the cunt in the room next to me. Put it this way - it wasn't nice going to the toilet after he'd been there. I'll state no more details. I used to clean up myself, but now that I've gone, they can wallow in their own filth. I'm not going to miss the bastards.
    That's what I do SG.

My mum suggested I get a mini fridge but I dunno if we're allowed them :chin:.
    My mum suggested I get a mini fridge but I dunno if we're allowed them :chin:.
    I suspect you wouldn't be. Before moving into halls, I was given a list of things that I was and wasn't allowed to bring in. Mini-fridges were on the banned list, though I have no idea why. Check with your university or whoever's in charge of your hall.
    I'm gonna have a look on my tenancy agreement. Might be on there...
    I think we're allowed mini-fridges at Newcastle uni, but they have to be safety checked first unless you've hired it from the uni. I presume Northumbria would be the same?
    We just used our mini fridges and didn't have any problems. The only things that were banned were candles. I didn't use it for long though because they are incredibly noisy and I couldn't sleep :grump:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    they take up too much power, thats why you arent allowed them.
    They said that at my uni.

I left my computer on 24/7 for 4 months. They didnt mind that....
    'Puters use nothing compared to Fridges and kettles.

Big difference with kettles is you don't leave them on all day every day.
    It says something in my tenancy wotsit which implies I'm not allowed one.

Might have to actually talk to them.

Arse.