Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drug 'Rewards' Given To Drug Addicts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7049934.stm

:eek2: Surely if they are going to be 'rewarded' for good behaviour, it should be stuff like holidays and not more drugs? This seems really messed up to me.

Comments

• Options
    I would rather they were getting drugs from offical sources rather than the dodgie dealer they usually purchase from.

If this helps put the dealers out of business, Im all for it.

Tbh i think its an incredibly brave move by the National Treatment Agency. Its really difficult to convince the public of this, but Im convinced its a better idea than sending them to DinseyWorld.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Very dodgy practice. Contingency management is the new buzz word, but it doesn't mean witholding or rewarding scripts.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Tbh i think its an incredibly brave move by the National Treatment Agency. Its really difficult to convince the public of this, but Im convinced its a better idea than sending them to DinseyWorld.

But surely someone is rewarded with drugs, then they'd just get addicted to that drug?:confused:
  • Options
    I would rather they were getting drugs from offical sources rather than the dodgie dealer they usually purchase from.

If this helps put the dealers out of business, Im all for it.

Errrm...the NTA regard it as unethical.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    But surely someone is rewarded with drugs, then they'd just get addicted to that drug?:confused:

They are already addicted to it.
  • Options
    I mean different drugs. In the article it says:
    Its own survey of almost 200 clinics in England found users were being offered extra methadone, a heroin substitute, or anti-depressants for good behaviour.
  • Options
    They are already addicted to it.

The amount of methadone someone is on should be a clinical decision, it should not be contingent on treatment goal compliance.
  • Options
    As much as people giving treatment should be given a reasonably free hand to use what works for that individual I'm concerned about the message this would re-enforce with the user - that drugs are a reward, that they are whats worth obtaining - it keeps drugs and drug use at the heart of their life which is exactly the problem in the first place.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »

It's not the drugs they were addicted to like heroin but the substitutes that help them deal with the side effects, anti depressants / methadone etc.

I can see how it might work in a 'tough love' sense, but I think it is unethical if someone needs it that it shouldn't be provided freely.

Then again, maybe 'need' needs to be defined in a context. Arguably getting someone off these hard drugs for good is their greatest need of all, and if it's working - should we let ethics / social rules stand in the way? (Ok, that sounds really hitler-ish, sorry - I'm playing a bit of devils advocate here anyway)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    It's not the drugs they were addicted to like heroin but the substitutes that help them deal with the side effects, anti depressants / methadone etc.

Methadone isnt something to help with the side effects, its an addictive opiate - very much like heroin.
  • Options
    That would then defeat the whole purpose of methadone prescribing.
  • Options
    id rather they prescribed diamorphine, methadone is a load of shit and theres a great market in drugs for that too
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Which is what? To get them to give up surely?

No.
  • Options
    id rather they prescribed diamorphine, methadone is a load of shit and theres a great market in drugs for that too

Methadone has one big advantage over heroin. It has a much longer half life, so only needs to be used once a day, rather than 3 or 4 times a day. The downside to this is that it takes a bit longer to detox from.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Methadone has one big advantage over heroin. It has a much longer half life, so only needs to be used once a day, rather than 3 or 4 times a day. The downside to this is that it takes a bit longer to detox from.

And many addicts think it too 'boring' so will drink and take benzo's with it.

Heroin should be allowed to be prescribed just as widely as methadone, that way you could better tailor the treatment to the person.
  • Options
    Heroin is legally available for prescription for substitute prescribing. Unfortunately, I think you have to apply for Home Office permission and most prescribing services won't do that.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Heroin is legally available for prescription for substitute prescribing. Unfortunately, I think you have to apply for Home Office permission and most prescribing services won't do that.

Its nigh on impossible to get all the right paperwork to prescribe it so very few doctors can.