Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Grants - a bit confused.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
At the moment, I live with my mum and brother and before benefits my mums income is around £8000 a year, so i can get the full grant plus other stuff. But she's planning to move in with her bf later next year and I'm taking a gap year. Does that mean that if I go with her they'll take his income into account? I dunno what kind of income he's on, it's modest but i dont think its loads.
I also heard they're raising the limit for the full grant from £18,000 to £25,000 a year. When is this coming in?
I'm going to be living with my bf in the gap year, will they add it up then because that's where I'll be living or will they still take my mum and her boyfriends income into account?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's only taken into account if you live with your mum and her boyfriend.
    The way it worked for me (on the old system, but its probably the same now) is that the only way they would base it on your own earnings is if you are over 25 and have been living on your own income for 3 or more years, married to your partner and living with them or can prove you are estranged from your parents. I don't know if your mum's boyfriend will be taken into account if they aren't married, but I'm not sure and you are best off ringing up the SLC or you LEA to find out.
    I *think* (and it's only think because trying to second guess it without reading millions of pages of the details will only ever give you think) that they will base the assessment on your 'family' income, which iirc on the current system would be that of the adults in your household and/or your natural parents.

So if you just live with your mum then it would be her (and possibly something from your dad depending on the situation), if your mum moves in with her boyfriend and you live with them then it is likely that they will take both your mums and her boyfriends income into account.

Living with your boyfriend won't make any difference, unless you've been independant for 3 or more years, or are a mature student they will do the assessment based on your parent.

Sometimes connexions can be really helpful on the nuances of higher education funding.
    when can i apply? i'd like to do it before she moves in with him (she doesn't want to wait for me to go) i don't think she'll actually be living with him til summer. Will i be able to get it sorted before then?
    Ballerina wrote: »
    when can i apply? i'd like to do it before she moves in with him (she doesn't want to wait for me to go) i don't think she'll actually be living with him til summer. Will i be able to get it sorted before then?
    I would say you really SHOULD get it sorted by then. I'm only just getting my loan this week and I've been at uni for a month.
    Well im doing UCAS and everything now rather than after my gap year. So i can apply for the grant, loan etc now aswell? Can I start doing it any time now?
    I think youneed to apply for your loan etc the year you're going.
    damn :( when are they raising the threshold for the full grant?
    No idea. Makes no difference to me anyway.

I think they will still take your mum's income into account because it's to do with who will be supporting you. Which means they'll take your mum's OH into account as well I reckon. You should still get a sizeable chunk though, and if you get a job as well, you'll be fine. What are you doing in your gap year?
    The thresholds and rules etc all apply to the academic year, so if the threshold moves it will apply to everyone who is studying in 2009/10 regardless of when they apply.

You can apply for finance from about February for the next academic year, so if you in 6th form at the moment, then taking a gap year you'll apply for finance not Feb coming, but the next one.
    I'll be going to uni in 2009.
    So you apply for your finance in Feb 2009
    So it isnt known when they are going to change the threshold?
    They twiddle all sorts from one year to the next, nothing ever stays quite the same and the outline plans of what they may or may not be doing.

A lot of the information is on the Student Finance website

On the same website there's a bit where you can Calculate your entitlement. Part of that is for the income of your parents partner if you live with them, so you can do it with and without that to see if there's a difference.

That website will also tell you that the threshold for full grants for 08/09 funding is £25,000.

Have a good look at that site, it should answer a lot of your questions.