Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why is it that I get the sense of people pointing their finger at everyone/anyone but themselves.

Without doubt society plays a part, but you are still responsible for your own actions surely?

Exactly.
    Why is it that I get the sense of people pointing their finger at everyone/anyone but themselves.

Without doubt society plays a part, but you are still responsible for your own actions surely?

Do you understand what I mean when I say it's a dialectic?

Does anyone?

Why the fuck do I bother?
    Perhaps if you were so pretentious and clearly stated your opinion then you wouldn't find it such hard work... :p
    I have clearly stated my opinion.

Fuck all ya'.
    Blagsta wrote: »

Does anyone?

Explain what you mean in plain English and I think you'll find a lot more understanding from people on here. It's not a word commonly used in general conversation, is it, so go easy on people mate!!

I'm following you as I looked up the meaning on www.dictionary.com.
    If you can look stuff up so can MoK.

a synthesis from theses

nobody-cares.jpg

perhaps.

try a marxist forum
    MoK did look it up :p
    I have clearly stated my opinion.

You have, it's still bollocks though, and it's still a case of excuse making.
    If you can look stuff up so can MoK.

I know, but people tend to get by by doing as little as possible - it's human nature (and I am not having a go at MoK here).

I just think that sometimes you may forget that a lot of the people on this board are quite young (the P&D forum could be the odd one out though) and so a lot could go right over people's heads without it being spelled out a little simpler.
    g_angel wrote: »
    I know, but people tend to get by by doing as little as possible - it's human nature (and I am not having a go at MoK here).

I just think that sometimes you may forget that a lot of the people on this board are quite young (the P&D forum could be the odd one out though) and so a lot could go right over people's heads without it being spelled out a little simpler.

Though I'm in my thirties and still scratching my head over abstract individualism...
    Though I'm in my thirties and still scratching my head over abstract individualism...

Aye - so imagine a 17 year old (for example) trying to get their nut around it! ;):no:
    Kermit wrote: »
    The best the medical fraternity have come up with is BMI, which classifies most professional sportsmen and many film stars (such as Brad Pitt, for instance) as grotesquely obese.

Well actually the best we've got is body fat percentage, which is far more accurate, but takes longer to determine. Presumably doctors are intelligent enough to judge when BMI is an appropriate measure, and when it isn't. If a clearly obese man walks into your office and you give him the target of getting his BMI down, then I don't see it as a poor measurement in that situation.
    The worst thing about body fat determination is that the easier the method is to determine it, the more inaccurate it is likely to be. Apparently the most accurate way to determine body fat is via autopsy, but a little inconvenient for most people ;)

In clinic, so far I've seen BMI being used as a guide is for anaesthetists before they see the patient.