Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cocaine found in de Menezes urine sample

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2556024.html

I wasn't sure if this should go in the drugs forum or not because I just wanted to ask, why is this being reported? Does it have any significance, do you think? Is it just for the public's general interest? I couldn't understand the relevance of it to the de Menezes case as a whole...any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well, if he was doing cocaine then he must have been evil, therefore a real terrorist, so they were right to shoot him, no?
  • Options
    As I believe you detected, it's an irrelevant non-story, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Ah...the BBC's reporting of it includes a doctor associated with the case's assessment that cocaine "could cause anxiety and paranoia and make someone 'abnormally fearful, abnormally apprehensive and abnormally suspicious'." So it's being used as a possible reason for why de Menezes reacted the way he did to the police presence...:chin:
  • Options
    I would have thought that he would have to be a fairly frequent (heavy?) user to display those symptoms ... but his test results would seem to prove otherwise.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well, if he was doing cocaine then he must have been evil, therefore a real terrorist, so they were right to shoot him, no?

Best answer.

The UK police do not have a policy of shooting people who do cocaine. No change in the murder. End of, media story pointles non-shocker.
  • Options
    Desperate attempt to grasp any hint of credibility from a huge cock up. It's of no relevence at all.
  • Options

ditto to what you said
  • Options
    Based on no real evidence of him actually being 'on' cocaine they are saying that he could have been acting really strangely, be paranoid and suspitious and therefore they were totally justified in killing him.

This line of argument falls down however in two places;

1) the use of cocaine isnt normally seen as a crime deserving a death sentance

2) he wasnt acting suspitiously
  • Options
    I think the significance is that someone is trying to show that he may have been acting in an agitated, anxious way which maybe would mean he seemed more suspicious. However, there were only traces in his urine not his blood and so that suggests he hadn't just taken it and so it shouldn't mean he was displaying those reactions.
  • Options
    byny wrote: »
    I think the significance is that someone is trying to show that he may have been acting in an agitated, anxious way which maybe would mean he seemed more suspicious.

I'm cynical, and believe what they were trying to show was he wasn't as innocent as we are lead to believe. I think its a poor attempt to dirty his character to help sell the Mets version of events.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I'm cynical, and believe what they were trying to show was he wasn't as innocent as we are lead to believe. I think its a poor attempt to dirty his character to help sell the Mets version of events.

Which is exactly what they did after the Forest Gate raid.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

Yea, when I first heard this story I thought 'smear campaign'.
  • Options
    Even more worryingly, it now seems somebody might be attempting to pervert the course of justice...

De Menezes picture 'manipulated to prove likeness to terrorist suspect'

Same old Old Bill eh? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Even more worryingly, it now seems somebody might be attempting to pervert the course of justice...

De Menezes picture 'manipulated to prove likeness to terrorist suspect'

Same old Old Bill eh? :rolleyes:

That's a little dodgy to say the least - what possible reason would you have for doing this?

Surely if they look so much alike then just comparing their photo's would be enough.
  • Options
    There are a lot of senior officers in the Met who should be spending a long long time at Brenda's pleasure.

There's more chance of the Hillsborough victims getting justice, though.