Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Christ on a bike

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well he'll have to be now, since he won't be able to drive anywhere soon. Story.

Comments

• Options
    I don't see the point, people break the limit too often already. When I've been driving at a 30mph limit, it's interesting that within a few minutes the road is clear infront of me yet there'll be a line of cars behind me.
  • Options
    The safest place on the planet for a pedestrian is a supermarket car park, because everyone is trusted to act safely, and unsurprisingly, everyone does. Pedestrians look where they're going and drivers drive at a safe speed. No speed cameras, no speed bumps (except confusingly sometimes one when you first come in).
  • Options
    Well he'll have to be now, since he won't be able to drive anywhere soon. Story.

Do you know what'd make the roads even safer? 15mph speed limits.
  • Options
    The safest place on the planet for a pedestrian is a supermarket car park, because everyone is trusted to act safely, and unsurprisingly, everyone does. Pedestrians look where they're going and drivers drive at a safe speed. No speed cameras, no speed bumps (except confusingly sometimes one when you first come in).

So the safest place on the roads is where drivers manage about 10mph

:chin:

Not rocket science why that might be..
  • Options
    fuck that for a game of darts
  • Options
    I do think there is a case for some 25mph limits, as they have in the USA, for roads where that is appropriate.

There does seem to be a bit of an obsession that lower speed limits means fewer accidents.

The most accidents involving cyclists, who were among those mentioned, happens at junctions usually by vehicles turning either into the path of a cyclist or around one (left-hook), and these usually happen at below the speed limit.

There is a lot to be said also for having speed limits on single-lane country roads reduced to 50mph on many such roads, if not all of them, and upgrading the major ones to dual-carriageways which are a lot safer anyway, and for the 50mph speed limit to apply to HGVs as well, as many accidents come where cars attempt to overtake HGVs sticking to their 40mph limit.
  • Options
    There does seem to be a bit of an obsession that lower speed limits means fewer accidents.

Not with fewer accidents but lower speed means fewer fatalities which is a totally different thing.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    and yannoo whats safer than 10mph.... 5mph!

my boyfriends work carpark has a 5mph speed limit which is IMPOSSIBLE to stick to because there is no 5mph on the speedometer. i usually do about 15mph and I haven't killed anyone yet :thumb:
  • Options

ACtually no[/i],

the safest roads are the motorways because a) they're quite straightforward and b) due to the seed, people pay more attention. at 30mph in town people just get tunnel vision and play with the clutch / brake / accellerator cos the car in front slowed down too much. And when that pedestrian crosses between you it just winds you up more, so when he passes you speed up too fast and bump.

Accident.

At even lower speeds it's worse, impatience is the opposite of a virture, according to the film The Mummy :p lol. I can't remember what the opposite of a virtue is - a curse?

I think this is a bad idea because it makes it easier to penalise those who are doing safe (appropriate speeds) and will have little difference on those who speed at 70 through a 30 (yes, this is the Taxi's in York, it's so scary :()
  • Options

The safest place is where the drivers are given the responsibility to drive an appropriate speed and look where they're going, rather than at a speedometer. And it's done without speed cameras or (for the most part) speed bumps, or even enforcement, unless you've ever heard of anyone caught speeding in a car park? My road is a 30mph zone, but no-one ever gets over 20 because people are actually capable of using their judgement and driving an appropriate speed. There are always kids playing on the road, and yet to my knowledge, no-one has been hurt in the 10 years I've lived here. There are some areas where badly designed roads give the impression that a road is safer than it appears, but for the most part, drivers can be trusted to drive a sensible speed. So a blanket 20mph speed limit on all built up areas is ridiculous.
  • Options
    The safest place is where the drivers are given the responsibility to drive an appropriate speed and look where they're going, rather than at a speedometer..

Frankly if you don't drive at an appropriate speed and look where you're going you shouldn't be on the roads.
    And it's done without speed cameras or (for the most part) speed bumps, or even enforcement, unless you've ever heard of anyone caught speeding in a car park? My road is a 30mph zone, but no-one ever gets over 20 because people are actually capable of using their judgement and driving an appropriate speed. There are always kids playing on the road, and yet to my knowledge, no-one has been hurt in the 10 years I've lived here. There are some areas where badly designed roads give the impression that a road is safer than it appears, but for the most part, drivers can be trusted to drive a sensible speed. So a blanket 20mph speed limit on all built up areas is ridiculous

I'm not sure of your argument. Yes, people should drive at the appropriate speed, even if its lower than the speed limit and yes, most drivers are sensible. But even the most sensible driver can get into an accident when a small child steps into the road and as you say some raods are badly designed and seem safter than they are.

I'd be happy for a higher speed limit on motorways and lower in towns (both for safety and the by-product it gets people out of cars for little trips and onto the public transport - which is good for air quality and the wider environment).