Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Welsh Police Chief Supports Drug Reform

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...and politicians oppose it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7044115.stm

The First MP's comment is brilliant; "He's just simply wrong".

What brilliant deductive logic, a truly immense moment in the history of thought.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whats most frustrating about this debate is how the terms of it get deliberately misunderstood. When someone suggests the legalisation of heroin they dont mean (strangely enough) that its given to kids during their break times - they mean that it should be on wide spread prescription so that addicts wouldnt need to steal to buy over priced dirty crap.
    And that's because it's never allowed to be debated in reasonable terms. It's like saying you don't believe in God in American elections; you just don't do it. Say you think drugs should be legalized, and you're somehow trying to force everyone to take drugs. People seem to think legalising = condoning, which is ridiculous.
    Well done Mr Police Chief. At least someone has some sense.

At the moment drug legislation isn't working. People can buy cannabis, cocaine and pills anywhere they like. Its time to wake up are realise the current situation isn't working.
    budda wrote: »
    Whats most frustrating about this debate is how the terms of it get deliberately misunderstood. When someone suggests the legalisation of heroin they dont mean (strangely enough) that its given to kids during their break times - they mean that it should be on wide spread prescription so that addicts wouldnt need to steal to buy over priced dirty crap.

Spot on ^^

Until middle England can understand legalisation doesn't mean lots of drug users running around trying to get their kids into it, then the debate wont move on.

I wish some politicians or even a political party would entertain the idea of legalisation, yes they would get shit from the Daily Mail :p But I would vote for them, and I'm sure lots of others would too.
    And that's because it's never allowed to be debated in reasonable terms. It's like saying you don't believe in God in American elections; you just don't do it. Say you think drugs should be legalized, and you're somehow trying to force everyone to take drugs. People seem to think legalising = condoning, which is ridiculous.

Exactly - its because drugs can be very dangerous that they should be legalised, not because they are safe.
    Calvin wrote: »
    I wish some politicians or even a political party would entertain the idea of legalisation, yes they would get shit from the Daily Mail :p But I would vote for them, and I'm sure lots of others would too.

David Cameron once signed something saying that we should look again at the drug laws because they are clearly not working, strangely he's dropped that now he is leader. Its a shame really because he knows full well the drug laws dont work - one of his indirect family had a heroin problem.