Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rice encourages Russian human rights activists

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7042822.stm

What a fucking idiot. I swear the only reason people are talking about a new Cold War is that the US is doing it's damndest to piss Putin off. The equivalent would be Vlad going to the US and encouraging the pro-choice movement to annoy Bush. There are some things you just shouldn't do on a foreign visit. Though I'm sure most of you will think that she's doing the right thing and that anything bad done to Putin is a good thing, I think this is a very stupid and clumsy piece of diplomacy.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I disagree... I believe that governments should support human rights activists globally if they consider themselves to be democratic and to support any form of freedom.
  • Options
    The equivalent would be Vlad going to the US and encouraging the pro-choice movement to annoy Bush.

:confused:

You think that he shouldn't do that then?
    Though I'm sure most of you will think that she's doing the right thing and that anything bad done to Putin is a good thing, I think this is a very stupid and clumsy piece of diplomacy.

There are certain standards which we should hold, and be prepared to state.

Of course, someone who is part of the Govt resposnsible for a number of death sentences and Gitmo really has a large glasshouse to worry about when she throws this sort of stone.
  • Options
    I think it's good to encourage human rights activists in Russia. However, coming from a source as sick and hypocritical as the current US administration, it doesn't mean much.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Look at his avatar for just one minute. Does it give you any clues about his reasons for slating American diplomacy in Russia?

Oh, I know that it's a running thread - hence why I asked about whether he objected to Putin saying something about the US administration. Something which he has, incidentally, done in the past.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Namaste wrote: »
    I disagree... I believe that governments should support human rights activists globally if they consider themselves to be democratic and to support any form of freedom.

It's a bit hipocritical when the US administration is taking away civil rights left right and centre don't you think. Get youro wn ship in order before you tell others how to run thiers.

Also, if you support freedom of choice and liberty, shouldn't Russia be free to make its own choices on how it is run? Putin won the election, he isn't cancelling the next election, let the chap alone. Ok, so it's an Authoritarian stance. It's as Democratic as the west though. So let Russia the fuck alone. It's got enough shit on its plate since the collapse of the USSR, with crime rife and civil unrest and Nazism. Authority has a place in such a choatic land. Freedom won't help Russia in the slightest at the minute. If Nazis were running riot, criminal gangs were everywhere, and people were generally pissed off, I think they last thing they'd want was someone to go "You're free, we're not stepping in to stop this!".
  • Options
    Beware the ulterior motives of the 'benevolent' american empire-it's pursuit of a 'democratic prescence' throughout the world has always come complete with a ' shiny pair of corporate jackboots' marching to the rapacious tune of ruthless self interest.
    What a party pooper Putin is- looks like Russia and the US are on a collision course for cold war 2 -here we go again folks!