Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

An issue with taking a work placement, some advice please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi

Any advice here would just be great, I have an important meeting next Monday that I need to be prepared for, its a bit of a story, i'll explain..

I am doing a course in Computing for Medical and Health Sciences at Leeds University(in year 2 now) and the course no longer continues for first years. Not only this but the cirriculum in Computing for first years has recently changed.

This presents a problem because if I do a placement then the cirruculum for my final year will have completely changed and it presents problems with fitting back into the course. Therefore the department wants me to change onto Computing for Business to do a placement. However, this isn't good enough for me because then I have to do 40 credits of business modules instead of studying the medical domain (business does not interest me and this is a vast change) as well the fact that my final year project (also worth 40 credits) will then have to be business related and wont apply if I do it in the medical domain (say if my project was a system in the pathology lab- it wouldnt be relevant). Therefore that is an 80 credit change - 2/3rds of my final year that i do not want.

I am not signed onto a placement programme but it was made clear in inductions/enrollement etc that the option will apply and it states in last and this years handbook that a year out is actively encouraged. I really see it vital to do one to gain that indsutry experience that very few other graduates have, as well as wanting to gather cash to go travelling.

Does anyone have any reccomendations? Do I have a standpoint going into this meeting, in which i expect to be cornered to changing course or dropping the placement idea, which I will be gutted about..

Thnx
Steve
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It sounds like you're going to be stuck in a corner.

It sounds like they won't be teaching what you want in your 3rd year if you take the year out, and if they're not teaching it then they won't change that for one person.

Only thing I can think of is to look into whether other departments have modules/credits that might be suitable that will still be running and see if you can persuade them to let you take credits from those departments in your final year.

That or look into summer placements, most students can get a 3 month placement in the summer.
  • Options
    Thank you.

My meeting is today, i'll let you know what happens
  • Options
    It sounds like you're going to be stuck in a corner.

It sounds like they won't be teaching what you want in your 3rd year if you take the year out, and if they're not teaching it then they won't change that for one person.

Only thing I can think of is to look into whether other departments have modules/credits that might be suitable that will still be running and see if you can persuade them to let you take credits from those departments in your final year.

That or look into summer placements, most students can get a 3 month placement in the summer.

As you rightly said I was put in a corner, so I am no longer taking a year in industry option because it is not possible.

I'm going to try and find an internship over summer and hope that this as well as my part time job in a technical role will satisfy the CV on graduation.

Steve
  • Options
    Sounds like the best solution under the circumstances.

Start looking for an internship as soon as you get the chance, and write to companies you're interested in, even if they don't advertise an internship programme you may find if you impress them they'll have you anyway.
  • Options
    do you know about YINI year in industry?