Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

personal statements...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
anyone else finding it bloody hard!

any ideas would be greatly recieved...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hmmm i got a really good guide when i was at 6 form college, it was along the lines of talking about what inspired you to pick the course, mention your favourite fields of it and mentioning side hobbies associated with it if possible, then talking about social acitivities and then personal goals and then rounding it off with a killer ending :)

just done my one for my job application so i can remember it lol
    What Chris said, basically. Start with why you want to do the course, and PLAN it.

I'll email you mine if I can find it. That might give you some ideas?
    Remember to keep it course focussed, link it all back to the course, and why your hobbies/studies thus far link to it, why you like it.

Write a really rubbish one, just get something down, then play with it lots.

If you want more advice I'll go into Admissions Talk to 6th formers mode when I'm more awake although I usually do sciencey stuff.
    What course you looking to do?

As far as I know they don't look at your Personal Statement as long as you get the grades and it's not a competitive course. That's what I was told in school anyway.
    I didn't want to go to Uni until about a week before the UCAS deadline, so I had to find out which Uni's I wanted to apply for and write up my personal statement in a week (still haven't visited the Uni that I'm going to).

The personal statement was a phat mish to write and I hated it. You basically have to become a really stuck up, self obsessed fuck whilst you write it. It's basically you bragging about what amazing things you've done and how you're perfect for them because of this.
    Am findin it so hard, what course is it you are applyin for??
    i wrote mine and was pleased with it...then went to the uni open day on saturday and found out there are only 28 places on the course! so i need to make it excellent or there is no way i am going to get in!
    i want to do something along the lines of music tech, but so far i'm applying for commercial music (production), creative music tech and music tech with sociology...which makes it a bit difficult...

i'm freaking out a bit cos people are telling me that all the courses and the uni's i've chosen are crap, and i can't really be going out of london (well, i am looking at bath spa and UWE (bristol), but i know those areas sort of)

it's complicated...
    If you're worried about them being 'crap' then talk to the departments about what their students do when they graduate.

How many go straight into employment, what fields they work in, average starting salary, common companies to work for, next steps, that kind of thing.

It sounds like the kind of course you are after is one that has only become a degree course relatively recently, so will be mainly offered by ex polys or new unis which is why some see it as 'crap' although what they see as 'good' won't offer your course.

PM me if you want some more help, or to look over your personnal statement.