Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

stubborn jar tops!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have a jar of salsa dip here from last night. i tried to open but i couldn't! it just wouldn't come off and it was killing my hand trying to get it off! and i'm a young person with reasonable strength, god knows what some old person would do.

so, any tips for removing stubborn jar tops?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Either stab it with a knife, or use a rubber 'washing up glove' to get a good grip

:thumb:
    There are all sorts of devices that people can buy for removing jar lids, try lakeland limited.

As for me, I'm crap at opening jars, but my mum seems to have superhuman wrists, so I get her to open them if she's here at the time :p Otherwise I have to find someone else, or starve :(
    nice one! stabbing a hole in it with a big knife worked a treat!

an afternoon of rugby, football, doritos and dip awaits me :thumb:
    Ah its so easy! Just take a blunt knife and push it under the lid. Prise it until you hear a popping sound then it will open easy!!
    Run hot water over the lid.
    Stab it with a knife is my technique of choice. Such fun too!
    crazy, here's some things I never even thought of. Always learn something new I guess. :)
    I go for the stabbing of the lid too, and then stick some sellotape over the hole.
    or it's always a good excuse to eat the whole jar!
    It tends to be Branston pickle I cant open, Im not eating that all in one go :p
    The two best remidies i know are (1) hitting the lid with a metal utencil(spoon) so that there is a dent ... then it should just open.. the other is run the lid under hot water it should expand and open ver easily
    Putting a damp cloth over the top should give you more grip when you're trying to turn it as well.
    if you hit it on a hard object it will pop open, you need to hit on the side of the lid
    I was going to mention hitting it on something. Basically it's all about air pressure or some equally science based thing, that's why it's not opening - anything that allows air in will mean the lid will open - so expanding it with hot water, stabbing a hole in it, knocking it on something all do the job