Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hi all from the new guy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

I stumbled across this site and couldnt resist jumping on the bandwagon. I'm a 32 yr old Aussie guy (single) who's moving to Wiltshire in December for work reasons. I dont know anyone in England (or the Northern Hemisphere for that matter) so am both excited and scared as hell! I've travelled overseas a fair amount in my time, but this will be my first time in England, so have no idea what to expect. I guess my biggest fear is of becoming a lonely hermit who never leaves his house and only talks to his cat :nervous:

If anyone has any tips for me before I arrive, I'd love to hear them. What should I look for when I'm choosing an apartment/flat to live in? What mobile phone carriers should I consider or stay away from? How much is broadband internet? I'm going to hit the ground and have to create a whole new life in about 3 weeks before I start work, and that's going to be over the Xmas and New year period - could be interesting! I know nothing - I'm a blank canvass for you to destroy or develop - bring it on :wave:

And of course, being a single guy I'm interested in comments on the dating scene over there. Is everyone as sick of smoky, boozy nightclubs as we are over here? Is internet dating taking off in the UK? What should I expect? Is my accent just going to attract drunken yobs who want to rub it in about the Rugby Union??? (yeah yeah - I know... we lost!)

Would love to hear from all and sundry. Hope to make some friends and practise my cockney before I get there :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Here's a tip, stay where you are. This country has turned to shit.