Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

tattoos and careers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to get a small buttefly tattoo somewhere on my wrist, wherever is least painful(anyone know) on top or underneath. Im just worried that as it will be hard to cover would it `cause many employment problems? Perhaps if it was underneath it would be well hidden. I want a job in marketing or PR when i graduate so not sure if it would be an issue like in the police?

Comments

• Options
    just my own afterthought, could put it where it can be covered with a watch? Oh i really want one but dont wnat it to affect employment!
  • Options
    i have a tattoo on my wrist. its about 2 inches wide and 3 inches wide, and i hve to say that, yes it has affected me workwise.

i worked in universal studios over the summer and because of my tattoo i wasnt able to do certain jobs because it meant that my tattoo would be seen by the guests. even though i said id get a watch and cover it they wouldnt allow me to!

i think tho that it completely depends on what area of work you want to get into.
    if its an office job where u wont be interacting much with customers then id have thought it would be fine - same goes for some retail jobs (ie pub, restaurant, certain clothing stores) but others it wouldnt be

i got mine because i live in hope that ill work in an area where its ok to have tattoos... but.. who knows. tis rather frustrating!! but then thats my fault for getting it i guess :p
  • Options
    mines only gonna be ickle, id prob keep it a secret from my employers as it wudnt be more than an inch wide :)
  • Options
    ah well in that case im sure it would be fine :)
    tho id definately put it on the underside of ur wrist if u DO get one! if it was on the outside then it might not be looked too kindly upon.. plus i think ones on the inside look better neway!
  • Options
    "There is a risk of getting Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV/AIDS and other infections when getting a tattoo. Protect yourself from Hepatitis B by getting vaccinated. There are no vaccines for Hepatitis C or HIV."

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! This is my opportunity to overreact but if i go to a reputable long standing company it should all be above board....im not having doubts i just like to be informed!
  • Options
    ^^Yes. It's a known fact that cross contamination can occur during a tattoo. Pamela Anderson has Hepatitis C as a result of a tattoo.
  • Options
    and youd think that she would have afforded a good tattooist. Hmm so where exactlu does the risk form, at a fersh tatto or at the needle? I have ears and tongue pierced and never considered any health risks but i guess it would be the same? Gosh ignorance is bliss!!! I tend to start worrying about this stuff but hate it when i do things coz im scared of risks(ie flying etc)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    If the needle isnt brand new then you could contract hep B and C I think.

All the equipment should be steralised and the tattooist should wear gloves.

But to be honest, in relation to your initial question, I personally dont think you should get it, as the work you want to go into can often be face to face contact and some companies will not want that sort of image portrayed as an example of themselves.
  • Options
    i wnat it i want it! Decided on the wrist, probably the top, no bigger than an inch, i'll post photos after, i've tried watches on and im gonna go with marks on my arm to make sure its done inside the watch area, hopefully tuesday!!! :hyper:

I really like this one, got it off a picture of a cluster of butterflies on someones back

http://www.imagehostworld.com/image/1090TUyCC-9903.jpg
  • Options
    http://www.dermablend.co.uk/info.html

ding ding ding!

ladies and gentlemen we have a winner!

given that i apply make up every day that i leave the house this won't be too much of a commitment. Might i add this is only in the event of an anit-tattoo policy when i start work!
  • Options
    Have you considered how much effort covering a tattoo is? Dermablend takes a lot of working, to blend the right colours to match your skin tone, and your sleeves will be covered in makeup the minute you put your sleeve on it, even when it's powdered. It's very heavy, and expensive.

To be frank, it doesn't sound like a good idea at all, to me. If you're hellbent on having an 'office' type of job, then some sacrifices need to be made.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Dianne1985 wrote: »
    I want to get a small buttefly tattoo somewhere on my wrist, wherever is least painful(anyone know) on top or underneath. Im just worried that as it will be hard to cover would it `cause many employment problems? Perhaps if it was underneath it would be well hidden. I want a job in marketing or PR when i graduate so not sure if it would be an issue like in the police?

Funnily enough my friend who is actually a police officer has a butterfly tattoo on her wrist - she covers it easily with her watch. :)
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Funnily enough my friend who is actually a police officer has a butterfly tattoo on her wrist - she covers it easily with her watch. :)

There's a Police Officer in my town who has tattoo's all up both of his arms, and he always has them on show as he wears a short sleaved shirt.
  • Options
    I've been arrested by polizzies with loads of tats on display.
  • Options
    a lot of old school characters in the business world look down on visible tattoos and to be honest i'd agree with them. I think they look cool and everything but are certainly not very professional looking, you wouldnt get a job in my office with visible tattoos anyway and its fairly laid back.

as others have said, i've seen plenty of coppers with them, but it does ask on the application where your tattoos are.
  • Options
    It's funny. I would have said in my office that tattoos wouldn't be looked upon favourably (I work for the Home Office, broadly speaking) but one of our senior members of staff often wears short sleeved shirts to work and he has proper large, colourful old-skool style tattoos (of anchors and the like) on his upper and forearms that are really noticeable. So, it depends really.

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful - but I should think if your tattoo is small enough to be covered by a watch and on the inside of your wrist then why do they even need to know about it?
  • Options
    I have a tattoo on the inside of my wrist and work face to face with clients- I make no attempt to cover it and most people don't know I have it.
  • Options
    i have to admit, ive questioned a lot of the "you wont get work with tattoos" ideas as they seem very common nowadays. And im not even talking about jobs such as the police force etc as have been mentioned. I regularly see retail staff, everywhere from New Look to McDonalds, witht hem. In fact, stores like New Look and every high street clothing store seems to have a significant amount of them. Lower backs, wrists and necks seem popular...very unusual.
  • Options
    Lower backs,

Nothing worse than the sight of a Tramp Stamp.
  • Options
    i spoke to a friend on the phone today who i am only just back in touch with after 2 years or so apart(just drifted). Ive met her about 4 times in the last month for breakfast/lunches. I mentioned my tattoo and she told me about her rose thats on her wrist, she got it last year for her 22nd birthday and is about 2 inches big....I had no idea she had it!! I'm getting it on thursday afternoon, all booked in and deposited, going to a long running business with a woman who fronts it, the kind that has her whole arjm done but is still sophisticated! Quite relaxed about it now, no pain no gain bring it on!
  • Options
    That looks really cute :)
    Id love to get something similar, but I dont think a secondary science teacher with a visable tattoo would go down too well..although Im sure the kids wouldnt mind!
  • Options
    My friend got a tattoo on her wrist recently and I think it looks hot ! I nearly got one on my wrist but I'm glad I didn't because I know I would have regretted it.

Get one where ever you want one it's your body but some people have warned me about not being able to get a job because of tattoo's but I don't think people can deny you a job because of a tattoo so I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    well....i've had it done! Its not as small and dainty as i'd hoped but that could be coz its still wrapped in clingfilm so it stands out a mile, might blend in once its in the mass of my forearm, not a lot i can do now anyway but i think its just shock of something new on my arm! I'll post a pic if anyones interested?

Oh and it felt fine, like they say, more a niggly feeling than pain, worse waiting for it than actually having it done! Saying that its not directly on my wrist its more to the side
  • Options
    Yeah, post apic. And, I bet it's not as nig as it feels to you. You know when you get a mouth ulcer and it feels huge, but then you look in the mirror and it's a tiny dot? Just like that I recon.
  • Options
    yeah post a pic, of your whole hand arm etc so we can see properly
  • Options
    this is the original picture i copied off http://www.imagehostworld.com/image/1090TUyCC-9903.jpg

and this is mine close up
    http://www.imagehostworld.com/image/1090TUyCC-9950.jpg
    and to show its size
    http://www.imagehostworld.com/image/1090TUyCC-9951.jpg

I actually think it looks bigger and thicker on the pics, but then again my camera is like minus 7 megapixel haha. Its growing on me now, i can't believe all that fuss over nothing! It never bled either and only a few tiny speckles afterwards!
  • Options
    (its obviously still a bit red too which might ruin the pics)
  • Options
    Thats quite pretty, nice postion too.
  • Options
    ta, i did some movements in the mirror and its not really seen from head on(like in an interview etc) so thats a bonus :)
  • Options
    well i have a pretty big tat on my wrist of an amy brown fairy (the rose fairy) and i have also just managed to bag a job. my advice: cover it up for the interview and unless they ask then theyll never know ;-)