Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lost my voice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Out for the football last night, was shouting and bawling and now I've totally lost my voice (work aren't letting me go home till lunchtime either, handy seeing as I work in a call centre!)

How long do you reckon it'll take to clear up, and what sort of stuff should I take for it?

Cheers :thumb:

Comments

  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Out for the football last night, was shouting and bawling and now I've totally lost my voice (work aren't letting me go home till lunchtime either, handy seeing as I work in a call centre!)

    How long do you reckon it'll take to clear up, and what sort of stuff should I take for it?

    Cheers :thumb:

    mwahahahahahahahahahaha! a quiet Brian, hahahaha!

    Right...that is out of my system now. Go and buy some throaties from the chemist and drink plenty of water, but tbh once it is gone, it is gone for a couple of days as you have strained your vocal chords.

    Next time I suggets charades at the footie ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    (work aren't letting me go home till lunchtime either, handy seeing as I work in a call centre!)

    What are you expected to do in work then?:confused:

    Honey & lemon might be a good idea.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    What are you expected to do in work then?:confused:

    I work in a call centre. When I lost my voice a couple of weeks ago they kept me on the phones as long as they could then made me move chairs. :yeees: Hopefully where Bri-namite works they've got better ideas!
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Nikki* wrote: »
    I work in a call centre. When I lost my voice a couple of weeks ago they kept me on the phones as long as they could then made me move chairs. :yeees: Hopefully where Bri-namite works they've got better ideas!

    move chairs? just randomly, or to a specific place?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bunnie wrote: »
    move chairs? just randomly, or to a specific place?

    Apparently the chairs have specific places, the numbers on the chairs correspond to the numbers on the desks. I find it hilarious. I did that for 3 hours.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Apparently the chairs have specific places, the numbers on the chairs correspond to the numbers on the desks. I find it hilarious. I did that for 3 hours.

    and the gold star goes to Nikki, for managing to waste 3 hours and therefore get paid for re-arranging chairs!

    :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had to stay and complete half my shift otherwise it'd go down as a full absence and a written warning - had two previous absences including one where I got three teeth extracted and couldn't speak.

    In all honesty, it was quite humiliating having to try and deal with customers today. It was getting to the stage when I was considering whispering down the phone.

    Can't stand honey, needs must I suppose!
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I had to stay and complete half my shift otherwise it'd go down as a full absence and a written warning - had two previous absences including one where I got three teeth extracted and couldn't speak.

    In all honesty, it was quite humiliating having to try and deal with customers today. It was getting to the stage when I was considering whispering down the phone.

    Can't stand honey, needs must I suppose!

    If you dont like honey get some honey, ginger and lemon tea. You cant taste the honey, but you know it is there working its magic. I think it is Twinings.

    Is this your supervisor or the big boss man that is threatening disciplinary action?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bunnie wrote: »
    If you dont like honey get some honey, ginger and lemon tea. You cant taste the honey, but you know it is there working its magic. I think it is Twinings.

    Is this your supervisor or the big boss man that is threatening disciplinary action?

    Cool, Twinings. Will have a trip to Morrisons in a while and have a look :thumb:

    Company policy apparently, granted it was my own fault for shouting and bawling all night but it's a stupid rule and that place is doing my box in. Can't be arsed changing jobs now cause I've got bonuses on the way and I've got Xmas off guaranteed.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Cool, Twinings. Will have a trip to Morrisons in a while and have a look :thumb:

    Company policy apparently, granted it was my own fault for shouting and bawling all night but it's a stupid rule and that place is doing my box in. Can't be arsed changing jobs now cause I've got bonuses on the way and I've got Xmas off guaranteed.

    No dont leave just coz of that. But one day send me a copy of your contract and I will take a nosey. You are unable to perform your job through no (debatable) fault of your own, and if they cannot provide you with alternative work you should be sent home - even without pay. But I dont think you should be disciplined for it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bunnie wrote: »
    and the gold star goes to Nikki, for managing to waste 3 hours and therefore get paid for re-arranging chairs!

    :thumb:

    Yeah that did amuse me. I'll enjoy my wages that little bit extra this month as I've also been paid to have my hair cut today, and am being paid to go to the Zoo on Monday.....:D
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Apparently the chairs have specific places, the numbers on the chairs correspond to the numbers on the desks. I find it hilarious. I did that for 3 hours.
    And how did the chairs get out of their places? Is it common in offices for people to exchange chairs as a joke, or to roll around on their chairs instead of walking and then leave them in a random place? :confused:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And how did the chairs get out of their places? Is it common in offices for people to exchange chairs as a joke, or to roll around on their chairs instead of walking and then leave them in a random place? :confused:

    The second one is true. But the main thing is that people see a chair they've decided is comfier at a different desk, so they swap them over. This happens repeatedly until all 300 chairs on my floor are at the wrong desk.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Nikki* wrote: »
    The second one is true. But the main thing is that people see a chair they've decided is comfier at a different desk, so they swap them over. This happens repeatedly until all 300 chairs on my floor are at the wrong desk.
    :lol:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I had to stay and complete half my shift otherwise it'd go down as a full absence and a written warning - had two previous absences including one where I got three teeth extracted and couldn't speak.

    What a sympathetic boss you have.:rolleyes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ah jesus mate my voice totally went at the end of last week i know how you feel, bar the whole having to go into a call centre and attempt to talk down the phone part

    i sounded like a spasticated frog from last friday til the start of the week, it was disgraceful!

    i have no advice bar drink more and shout more :D
Sign In or Register to comment.