Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Speaking of cool people that knit...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need help :( Provisional cast on with a crochet hook. I've tried youtube, knitting help (anybody else think she sounds like a bitch?) and probably the first page of a google search and I'm helpless. I do it and it looks alright, like I've done it right, but when the time comes to undo it... it just doesn't undo. Pull/twist/unweave I can't get the damn waste yarn out of there. Any tips?

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Whatcha making? :p

Have you tried knittinghelp?

EDIT: I didn't read what you wrote properly :|

Whenever I have done a provisional cast on I have undone it crochet stitch at a time, with a sewing needle to guide the yarn. Maybe you are crocheting too tight? Have you tried with a larger hook?
  • Options
    Oh, and for more cool people that knit, sign up to Ravelry. It's on invite only at the moment but they are getting through the list at quite a pace. There are forums on there with people who can help or give better websites or whatever to assist. I spend so much time on there I knit less :(
  • Options
    Oh I did that a while ago. Lets see where I'm at now...

You are #30959 on the list.
    10457 people are ahead of you in line.
    6834 people are behind you in line.

But anywho, I'm 'currently trying to make http://www.pepperknit.com/patterns/AnastasiaSocksPatternRevised.pdf One day I'll actually finish something. Maybe if I do the cast on with the two strings as opposed to a crochet hook like the mean lady says then maybe that will work? Ho hum we'll see.

I wonder if theres an anger management class specifically for new knitters out there :p
  • Options
    Ooooooh, I've never done toe up socks before. I shall look forward to seeing pictures :D

Have a look at this knitty article for an alternative cast on for the toes. It may help a bit :)
  • Options
    This maybe of interest to you Knitters

http://tinyurl.com/29p7yl
  • Options
    i'm getting so frustrated cos i can't do something really simple like rib stitch! :(