Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Laptop Recommendations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Because I've been awarded DSA, I have an allowance of £1k for a lightweight laptop. The one that my assessor looked at, was a Dell Latitude D420 which has now been superceded by a higher spec model (which I'm assuming, will cost more?)

I'm not keen on Dell's personally, and am using a Compaq right now (mums lol) so I don't know what else is out there for that sort of money.

Any recommendations would be awesome, thanks. Oh, and it's got to be under 1.8kg in weight... on Win XP and have bluetooth, wireless and all that jazz... ta.

Comments

• Options
    when i got my DSA though i decided to pick my own laptop, but i had to pay the money up front and claim it back? it maybe worth thinking about if you dont have 1k spare
  • Options
    Get a Macbook they're well light and you can also install Windows XP on them very easily.

I bought a Mac a few weeks ago (Mac Mini) and installing windows was a breeze.

.. just checked the weight may be more then 1.8kg but everything is built in ... no separate optical drives, etc.
  • Options
    You can go for Dell's lightweight laptops they are the bees knees.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    when i got my DSA though i decided to pick my own laptop, but i had to pay the money up front and claim it back? it maybe worth thinking about if you dont have 1k spare
    Nah, my LEA have said they will invoice the company so I won't have to pay for anything myself.

What's a Macbook??? :o
  • Options
    Win XP

Don't think it's possible to get them any more, unless you buy them second hand.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Melian wrote: »
    Don't think it's possible to get them any more, unless you buy them second hand.
    It is, they now allow you to get that instead of Vista. Recent news.
    uf010726.gif

Macbooks are Macintosh laptops, btw.
  • Options
    i just bought an ibm t40 off ebay for £190.
  • Options
    Disabled Student's Allowance
  • Options
    Disabled Student's Allowance

Isn't your disability something to do with you being on the computer for too many hours a day? RSI?
  • Options
    Macbook :yes:

http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html
    teh sex, and you won't need to upgrade it for a few years.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Isn't your disability something to do with you being on the computer for too many hours a day? RSI?
    No, it was never RSI in the first place, I was misdiagnosed with RSI, then I was seen by a consultant Rheumatologist who diagnosed me with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type III (Joint Hypermobility Syndrome) which causes pain in all joints, particularly wrists if being overstretched.
  • Options
    Not sure about weight but me and Dom both use a HP laptop which has been great for everything at work (well was until Dom split coffee on his - the GIMP). I'm tempted to second the suggestion of the Macbook (a Mac laptop) though if you're doing anything based on graphic design or art.
  • Options
    I've never owned a laptop or mac but when I was at university I remember that sometimes the students with macs would have trouble with compatibility with the university systems and printers etc which weren't macs (unless this was just a cover up excuss for not having done the work due in!!)
  • Options
    God, you'd think the last thing they'd want to buy you would be a laptop. Talk about encouraging you to sit badly.

Oh, and is your £1k including or excluding VAT?

This one's only 1.2kg, but it is expensive for the specs you're getting (£50 over budget if you allowed to top up the grant yourself). You'll get a much quicker computer if you're willing to go up to 2kg.

This Sony is 1.12kg and in budget. It comes with Windows Vista Business though. Hope that's not an issue. Is there a reason why you want XP?

This Philips is 1.52kg and not bad. Unfortunately it involves giving money to PC World who are run by Satan himself.

This one's is much better, but it's 1.86kg. It also comes with Vista instead of XP. Or you can get it in red with a bigger hard drive for a bit more.

This Fujistu seems pretty good for the price too. 1.7kg, but again with Vista not XP.

And here's a Lenovo that doesn't look bad. Comes with Vista Business and weighs 1.8kg.

This Fujitsu is the weight you want and comes with a 14" screen. Personally though, I think the hard drive is a bit small, but the processor's good. Here's the same machine with XP instead of Vista, but half the RAM.

If you're looking at Dells, check out this too.

But seriously, there are so many decent laptops that weight about 2kg rather than 1.8kg, so consider them instead.

Can you tell I'm looking for a laptop myself at the moment? :p
  • Options
    don't buy a single core laptop whatever you do

They get too hot under pressure and then the fan kicks in and the noise levels can go up a lot.
  • Options
    These day's its 2 or more :)