Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shandy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone like the drink Shandy - i.e. Lemonade and Beer mixed together if so - which makes of Lemonade and Beer work best and in what proportions?

Also anyone ever been charge stupid price for a Shandy.

I once was charge £5 for a pint of Shandy as they reckoned it was two separate drinks!!

Never went back there again.

Shandys are good ... you can have what looks like a pint and look well 'ard and yet fine to drive home .. :)
I'm not too fussed on what Beer or Lemonade (as long as it ain't diet lemonade) they use but prefer more Lemonade the Beer about a 60 / 40 split at the most.

Comments

• Options
    When I make Shandy's at work, I'll do them 50/50 unless asked otherwise.
    I use the P Mix Lemonade that we have on tap (not sure who it's made by - I'll get back to you) and then depending on whether they ask for a Bitter Shandy or a lager Shandy... I'll use Harveys if they ask for a Bitter Shandy and Oranjeboom if they ask for a Lager Shandy....again, unless they specifically ask for a certain beer.
  • Options
    I was reading up on Turbo Shandy - i.e. beer mixed with something like Smirnoff - never tried it though.

Although another one says use:

1/2 Pint lager
    1 Shot vodka
    1 Bottle Smirnoff Ice
  • Options
    Mixing lemonade and beer does seem a bit unsuitable, but many drinks are so I'll try that once ;)
  • Options
    T-Kay wrote: »
    Mixing lemonade and beer does seem a bit unsuitable, but many drinks are so I'll try that once ;)

Try it, it actually tastes quite nice!

Another very popular drink is a Lager top.... which is basically a pint of Lager with a bit of Lemonade in the top (about an inch). Not weak like a shandy, but just enough lemonade to make it taste sweeter...although, always put the lemonade in first - despite it being called a top.
  • Options
    Yeah, sounds nice. Have you tried mixing red wine and fanta? It really does sounds horrible at a first glance, but it's actually not too uncommon in Spain. It's lovely. Don't remember the name tho.
  • Options
    you southerners seem to know a lot about shandy....:chin:

only time i'll have a shandy is if im driving or first pint of the day if im a bit fragile.

shandy is not acceptable at any other times. might as well have a bacardi breezer
  • Options
    I just don't like the taste of beer - but love the taste of a good shandy - dunno why.

But all the shandys you get ready made in cans and bottles is rubbish - one of those drink you have to make yourself.
  • Options
    I'll make you all a pice of the B52 drink. Have a pint of beer, make a shot of vodka or other spirits. Drop the shot (including the glass for some reason) into the pint.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    you southerners seem to know a lot about shandy....:chin:

only time i'll have a shandy is if im driving or first pint of the day if im a bit fragile.

shandy is not acceptable at any other times. might as well have a bacardi breezer

:lol: Only because I work at a bar in a Golf club...

Trust, I never drink Shandy myself....tastes alright, but I won't drink it. Although I am quite partial to a Lager top from time to time...it's basically still a pint, but tastes a little bit sweeter...
  • Options
    Been living off Alsterwasser in Hamburg, which is their version of shandy. All the cafes sold it and listed it on their menus, so its perfectly acceptable :thumb:

The best beer I tried for Alsterwasser was either Beck's or a local beer from a braukeller in Hamburg.
  • Options
    I've never drank shandy since I was a kid and you could get it out of the can machine and pretend you were drinking real lager. I don't get it tbh. Make a few at work sometimes though. Bitter shandy is even wierder. You have to stir the lemonade first or it all just fizzes up and you end up with half lemonade and half head.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Been living off Alsterwasser in Hamburg, which is their version of shandy. All the cafes sold it and listed it on their menus, so its perfectly acceptable :thumb:

The best beer I tried for Alsterwasser was either Beck's or a local beer from a braukeller in Hamburg.

was gonna make a point about that! funny how they call it alsterwasser (obviously because of the alster in hamburg) up there but for the rest of us its radler. i dont really understand it from taste reasons. if you want something sweeter, drink cider, if you want something weaker just have half a beer...

beer and coke is popular here too, crazy!
  • Options
    I'm from Yorkshire, I can drink with the best of em, but sometimes it just hits the spot, especially on a warm lunchtime when a whole beer is a bit too rich.

I suppose the image of shandy in this country is cultural as much as anything; there's more to life than the strength of the alcohol.

I was never brave enough to try the beer and coke, but I could drink spetze all day long.
  • Options
    I didn't realise that not many people drank them, my boyfriend used to have them all the time at the pub because he was driving, but now they have that carling c2 stuff on tap he just drinks that instead.
  • Options
    Personally I cant see the point in Shandy, I would rather have a pint.

Although it is very refreshing on a summers day. :thumb:
  • Options
    Never really drink shandy (Except when driving), although in the pub i used to work in you can't go in and just have a normal pint if your mate is working - you get 'turbo shandy' - double vodka in the bottom of your pint. You can't even taste it, making it even more deadly, especially when you only plan to go out for a couple :lol:
  • Options
    Bitter shandy is even wierder. You have to stir the lemonade first or it all just fizzes up and you end up with half lemonade and half head.

Haha yeah it is a mish. I've just about mastered it, although the Masterbrew tap where I work is a big no, no when it comes to making bitter shandy's.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I can honestly say I have never had one. Mainly as I have no use of the car after touching one drop, so I will just stick to the proper stuff ta!
  • Options
    Don't think anyone drinks shandy here, unless it's comes in the wee can and it's only 0.05% alcohol content.

Don't see the point, pints all the way de fuck.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    always put the lemonade in first - despite it being called a top.

If they ask for a top I put it in the top, if they ask for a dash then it goes in the bottom. Someone asked for a top one and I put it in the bottom and they shouted at me
  • Options
    Bitter shandy is even wierder. You have to stir the lemonade first or it all just fizzes up and you end up with half lemonade and half head.

Just take off the nozzle and pour it with the end of the spout thing above the lemonade rather than at the bottom of the glass. Voila!
  • Options
    I drink shandy whenever I'm out. I don't like alcohol, but love the taste of beer and lemonade. and it makes me look more grown up with a pint. My dad HATES ordering me a pint of shandy, coz it's not 'ladylike' to drink in pints hahahaha.
  • Options
    The only shandy is I've had is the stuff in cans when I was younger they were by a brand called Panda.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    If they ask for a top I put it in the top, if they ask for a dash then it goes in the bottom. Someone asked for a top one and I put it in the bottom and they shouted at me

Fuck 'em, I always put the Lemonade in the bottom, you get a fucking hench frothy head otherwise and it makes no difference to the taste.
  • Options
    Shandy's are alright, although I haven't had one for years. My Dad always used to make me them when I was little on bonfire night though to keep me warm when stood outside watching fireworks and the likes. used to make me feel well grown up being allowed beer :lol:
  • Options
    I had a 'ye olde fashionede' type one once which was beer and ginger beer. Was quite nice.
  • Options
    only ever drank the wee tins when i was kid thinkin i was all cool

have barely even heard of the stuff since .. pussies :p
  • Options
    do they still do top deck shandy? that were alright