Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What would you do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you went to a cashpoint, took out £200, a week later it hasn't appeared on your statement. I took out £300 last night and that's came on this morning. I'm aware privately owned cashpoints might take a bit longer because they need ot send a bill off to your bank I'm guessing but the money was withdrawn last thursday.

For obvious reasons I don't want to query the bank :p but I'm not sure how much money I'm supposed to have now, I'm apparently £200 up... (or has anyone else had to wait 7days + for a cashpoint withdrawl to appear on their statement?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    If you went to a cashpoint, took out £200, a week later it hasn't appeared on your statement. I took out £300 last night and that's came on this morning. I'm aware privately owned cashpoints might take a bit longer because they need ot send a bill off to your bank I'm guessing but the money was withdrawn last thursday.

For obvious reasons I don't want to query the bank :p but I'm not sure how much money I'm supposed to have now, I'm apparently £200 up... (or has anyone else had to wait 7days + for a cashpoint withdrawl to appear on their statement?
    cash point withdrawels always show up the next day on mine but then I refuse to use the cash machines you have to pay for.

Phone your bank and request they check the statement, they could take it out of your account at any time and if you've spent it it's classed as stealing.
    Say nothing.

If it appears on your statement soon (99% chance it will) then fair enough.

Otherwise just keep stumm. Spend it, and if the bank want it back let them chace you

And let me know where this cash machine is :p
    I'd be careful about spending some of that money if you have 200 or less on your account. Even if it takes time sometimes (perhaps some technical prob etc.) financial institutions have a remarkable ability to claim their money.
    make sure you got 200 in your account in case it comes off but if not then ;)

also the question isn't "what would you do?" it's what would Brian Boitano do..
    I've got the cash to cover it, I'm not so worried about that.

Just not sure whether to count it as 'I got lucky' and not worry about it, or count it as 'i withdrew this so i can't say i didn't have it'.

Each paints a different picture of my finances. Both manageable though :)

I've got quite lucky this week actually :D got a bike for 1/3rd of what it's worth (people don't know how to use ebay lol), not sure whether to sell it for the profit or just keep it.
    so what type of cashpoint was it, where was it etc?
    it will probably come off your account at some point so dont spend the money
    Hellfire wrote: »
    so what type of cashpoint was it, where was it etc?

It was a privately owned one in a post office kind of thing. I think it was a newsagents actually. needed to get the cash out to pay for the service / new tyre on my bike.

Well, checked today and it's still not come out.

I wonder what the legal cutoff is. Probably something like 5 years. I'm sure they will take it out eventually, but I've withdrawn money before from 'private' ATMs and it comes out the next day. Theoretically, I could just withdraw tonnes of money from this one if it's not debitting my account and get unauthorised money. Which is wrong really (I would get charged by the bank - but still, I don't have a credit agreement so I shouldn't be entitled to it).

Won't complain for the time being :angel:
    I wonder what the legal cutoff is. Probably something like 5 years.

The legal limit is 6 years for any outstanding monies to be paid/claimed.

Bank can and do loose money and transctions for various reasons. You dont have to say anything but once your bank realise they've not taken the money they will, its in your bank account or not.
    At the mo treat it likes its about to go out of your account and if it hasn't by the New Year drink the new year in
    Asta wrote: »
    if you've spent it it's classed as stealing.

It isn't.

There can often be delays of a week for these sorts of transactions to go through (worst I've experienced was 5 weeks for Tesco to present a bill to the bank), so make sure you have the money to pay for it. They can recover the money from you for up to six years by means of legal action.
    It's kind of appeared on my statement, but wrong. :s

Enderby
    Debit Card - Tastes Chinese

I withdrew the money from Enderby, then friday had a chinese in a different location, but it thinks that was in enderby. It's charged me the amount for the chinese, not the amount for the withdrawl (I haven't been to Enderby for anything else - it's a bit out the way). Halifax is rubbish.
    its probably a set up. they're onto you. noticed anyone unusual following you lately? that'll be them. watch it.

:lol: the hell are you smokin
    coz he wants some!
    It's kind of appeared on my statement, but wrong. :s

Enderby
    Debit Card - Tastes Chinese

I withdrew the money from Enderby, then friday had a chinese in a different location, but it thinks that was in enderby. It's charged me the amount for the chinese, not the amount for the withdrawl (I haven't been to Enderby for anything else - it's a bit out the way). Halifax is rubbish.
    Unless you spent £200 on Chinese food I'd say you've done well out the situation ;)
    In case anyone was interested...

still hasn't appeared on my statement :D free money!
    mint! Wish I was so lucky