Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Burma- a question

Admittedly I'm not an expert on that country, but nonetheless I am under the impression that:

a) the country is under one of the most repressive and odious regimes in modern human history

b) pretty much everybody there is united in their contempt for the military junta that governs them and there are no sectarian factions gagging to get at each other's throats and no religious extremism

c) the military muscle of the regime is comparable to that of an old people's home in Andorra

With the above in mind, could anyone explain to me why we have not intervened to get rid of the fuckers in charge? If there is such thing as a justified and worthy call for use of force, this is certainly it.

ps. no real need to answer. I am aware of the size of the oil reserves in Burma and its geographical location are not nearly as attractive as those of one or two countries I could mention...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I want to know why they're calling it Burma on the news. I had to do a general knowledge quiz in a job interview the other week, and one of the questions was "what is the modern day name of Burma?" and I thought it was still called Burma so I got it wrong. Still passed the test mind.

Anyway isn't it Myanmar?
  • Options
    Yeah it's called Myanmar these days. I hope to visit it on my travels in Thailand next year. Should be interesting...
  • Options
    I think the monks are pacifists so wont actually try to get the military. Weither the civs try to get them or not i dont know, last time they tried a lot of them got shot i think.
  • Options
    I want to know why they're calling it Burma on the news. I had to do a general knowledge quiz in a job interview the other week, and one of the questions was "what is the modern day name of Burma?" and I thought it was still called Burma so I got it wrong. Still passed the test mind.

Anyway isn't it Myanmar?

The junta changed the name to Myanmar, Britain and several other countries still call it Burma because they don't believe it has the authority to change it's name.
  • Options
    If only the poor fuckers had any oil beneath their land the military junta would have been kicked out decades ago...

Well, if it had been unsympathetic to the powers that be, that is.
  • Options
    The monks were asking civillians not to protest with them to stop them getting killed by the military. They're being so brave though, I really respect what they are doing.
  • Options
    they do have oil dont they?
  • Options
    Not to any significant extent- certainly a far cry from the reserves under a certain Middle East nation.

I see on the news they've started killing people now. :no:
  • Options
    Well Burma keeps much to itself, it's never invaded a neighbouring country, subsidised terrorists in others, gassed it's own people etc.

Though all I can say is thank goodness it hasn't got oil, or we'd have people marching the streets demanding that we don't do anything.
  • Options
    and.... we had a colony there which was just as repressed as they are now, until we got kicked out by the japs in WW2 and then after ti was made independent

i'd say the best bet is to support the non-violent democratic people there whilst sanctioning the government itself, giving more people to join their cause and causing their government to collapse or for people in the junta to rebel against the leadership, whilst planning how to run the country after ie a workable long term constitution

i dont think military action will sove it, it's a country plagued by oppression, so another foereign power won't help, foreign assistance would be handy
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    I think the monks are pacifists so wont actually try to get the military. Weither the civs try to get them or not i dont know, last time they tried a lot of them got shot i think.

Yep - August 1988 - around 3,000 protesters were killed, mostly shot, during an intensely violent repression of demonstrations.

A good overview of the current situation from the BBC
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7010202.stm
  • Options
    Though all I can say is thank goodness it hasn't got oil, or we'd have people marching the streets demanding that we don't do anything.

Exactly.

Lose, lose
  • Options
    Well Burma keeps much to itself, it's never invaded a neighbouring country, subsidised terrorists in others, gassed it's own people etc.

Exactly.

Lose, lose
    I must admit you two have a point. However it is painful to observe it because on paper at least a more forceful intervention would be practically incident-free, compared with Iraq. Other than a few US-led sanctions (and the US should be congratulated for at least doing something) the international community have been pretty indifferent for decades.
  • Options
    well that does seem like a bad country.
  • Options
    Given that Britain was once a ruler of Burma as it was one of Britains colonies, i think it is Britains responsibility to take some action, in the same way it is Britains responsibilty to deal with Zimbabwe in some way.

This is a regime that was so afraid of an amphibious invasion by the Americans they had a brand new capital city built further inland so they could move their leadership to it and feel more secure. They kill and oppress their own people while keeping them living in poverty.

Realisitically given the geographical position, the country does fall into China's sphere of influence... but how likely are the Chinese to do anything about this?
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote: »
    Given that Britain was once a ruler of Burma as it was one of Britains colonies, i think it is Britains responsibility to take some action, in the same way it is Britains responsibilty to deal with Zimbabwe in some way.

:yes:
  • Options

This is a regime that was so afraid of an amphibious invasion by the Americans they had a brand new capital city built further inland so they could move their leadership to it and feel more secure. They kill and oppress their own people while keeping them living in poverty.

Realisitically given the geographical position, the country does fall into China's sphere of influence... but how likely are the Chinese to do anything about this?

they moved the capital city inland to get away from an end of civilisation disaster as suggested by an astroleger :crying:
  • Options

Why is it Britains responsibility?
  • Options

Given we used to own half the globe that means we're responsible for sorting out a lot of problems - what about India and Pakistan, graft in Kenya, . Heck, what about problems in the US and New Zealand - they used to be part of the Empire as well.
  • Options
    Given we used to own half the globe that means we're responsible for sorting out a lot of problems - what about India and Pakistan, graft in Kenya, . Heck, what about problems in the US and New Zealand - they used to be part of the Empire as well.

India And Pakistan are not our responsibilty, the Soviets or rather the former Soviets allowed them gain Nuclear technology, so its their mess to clean up. The religious and historical elements to that problem go back before British involvement anyways. Either way, other countries have intervened and taken action or influenced India and Pakistan since Britain to such an extent it has fallen outside our sphere of influence to sort out.

The US were aided in gaining independence by the French which turned the tide in the "War" of Independence, so frankly, France can sort that mess out, they brought it about really! ;)

I didnt know New Zealand had a problem?
  • Options
    Smash the Junta!

410w
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    That's still in the empire silly. How could there possibly be a problem in the empire? It's unspeakable!

Anyway, I'm off to do evening colours in front of a makeshift flag pole and ships bell in my broom cupboard. God save the queen!

You know Sarcasm isn't always that clever.