Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Therapy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I havn't gone in a couple years, and then it was for specific things. In the last month or so, I went down on my medicine, got a new stressful job and started another semester at school. I went back up on the medicine (but that was only on saturday so nothing has really taken effect yet) but I've just been so down lately. Things are good but I just can't seem to see that anymore. I can't think of a reason why things are bad except for stress maybe. I don't know. Its to the point I can barely even bring myself to shower and get out of bed, even on the weekends! I havn't felt this way in a long time and I'd forgotten how terrible it is. So whining over, I was thinking about maybe going to see and talk with somebody. Just a therapist probably. But since I can't really think of anything wrong, would it be worth it? Would there be somebody more helpful than a therapist?

Comments

• Options
    I think it depends what you mean by a therapist - if you mean specifically a psychotherapist (which tends to be how therapist is used in the UK) then it might be helpful with the right person. However it might be worth exploring some other forms of talking treatments and finding a counsellor with a style that might have a broader focus.

Whilst I'm not a great fan of CBT for all circumstances - I do know it's been very useful for people dealing with periods where they find themselves reinforcing their own periods of lethargy. (If that makes sense, I don't mean to imply that someone is actively trying to feel down)

Of course if you meant therapist as any talking treatment then that paragraph was pretty worthless... :P

As well as looking around for different styles of counsellors/therapists in the area (which I'm sure would help if they were good) then I guess there's the other old but true clichés about trying to push yourself to get out more, meet new people, exercise more but I guess that's probably closer to what you want help with through therapy rather than a solution.
  • Options
    I think it sounds like a good idea to find someone to talk to, whether it's a professional or not. You should try to talk to someone and maybe it will help you work through your problems.