Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sentencing for Crimes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is what the average sentences for commiting crimes are, sentences may differ depending on area, or said otherwish.

Petty Theft: things like shoplifting, 1 day to 2 years
Robbery: things like stealing items of a high value like tvs, 60 days to 10 years
Armed Robbery: robbing someone using a weapon, 4 years to life imprisonment
Threats:when you say things like, "i will do something bad to you," 15 days to 3 years
Statutory Rape: having sex with a consenting minor, 30 days to life imprisonment
Rape: having sex with someone without their permission, 10 years to life imprisonment
Murder: when you kill someone,17 years to death penalty
Mass Murder: when you kill a large # of people in a short period of time, 30 years to death penalty
Serial Murder: when you kill 3 or more people in a long period of time, 20 years to death penalty
Arson: 90 days to 25 years
Attempted Murder: 5 years to life imprisonment
Torture: abusing someone over a long period of time, 2 years to life imprisonment
Abuse: beating or hitting someone, 120 days to 35 years
Assassination: murder of a powerful government figure, life imprisonment to death penalty

Comments

• Options
    if you know of any penalties for crimes that i have not listed please list them. this is in a campaigne to prevent crime by making public what sentences for general crimes are.
  • Options
    The penalty for posting in an incorrect forum?
    Politics? Debate? Are you averaging these sentences because you're in the States and the majority of the users here are in the UK?

Who is this thread aimed at btw?

Curiously yours (not)
    J
  • Options
    I see a distinct lack of community service on there. And we don't do the death penalty in the UK. Why would we know sentencing for crimes in America?
  • Options
    i want to know sentencing for crimes in your location. or what you think would be the best sentence for certain crimes.
  • Options
    speeding

- 3 points on your licence

and a £60 fine

dont do it folks
  • Options
    Whats a point mean or do?
  • Options
    Whats a point mean or do?
    I don't hold a british driving license, but I think it's the same as here; you get a certain amount of points for traffic perpentrations, the more serious the more points you get. If you reach a maximum amount of points during a set period of time, your license will be withdrawn for a while. Basically it was introduced so that the rich people couldn't get away with just paying the fine all the time.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yep, you can only get so many points before your licence is removed from you - so essentially you get fines and punishment and at the same time rack points towards a driving ban. It's basically in place to avoid repetitious behaviour that doesn't earn an outright ban by itself.
  • Options
    Yeah, but here it's still pretty easy to be banned from driving regardless. Friend of mine were a bit over 80 KPH in a 50 KPH zone for overtaking, he was banned right on spot.
  • Options
    I see a distinct lack of community service on there.

With the possible exception of petty theft (and possibly statutory rape in certain cases) I think all of those listed should result in jail.
  • Options
    With the possible exception of petty theft (and possibly statutory rape in certain cases) I think all of those listed should result in jail.

Even "threats" whatever they are?

Incidentally, does anyone know how long after you're caught by a speed camera you get a letter? I don't think I've ever been caught, but you know that nervous feeling you get when it was borderline?
  • Options

Going round to your neighbours house, brandishing a knife and saying something like "i'm going to kill you, you mother fucker and rape your children" will probably result in jail if the victim thinks the person will make good on their threat.
  • Options

yes
  • Options
    That's about half of our school population in prison then.
  • Options
    That's about half of our school population in prison then.

I honestly hope you never get jury service if you can't tell the difference between palyground arguments and threats...
  • Options
    I honestly hope you never get jury service if you can't tell the difference between palyground arguments and threats...

How is serious playground bullying, which often includes death threats, any different from the same thing outside of school?
  • Options
    How is serious playground bullying, which often includes death threats, any different from the same thing outside of school?

if it's serious bullying involving death threats then yes we should be taking action and if it include serious death threats (as opposed to 'I'm going to punch you after school) the police should be involved and the bullies dealt with - by young offenders institution if needed.

I haven't found the UK definition of a threat, but here's the US's

http://www.mit.edu:8001/activities/safe/safe/cases/umich-baker-story/Baker/legal/threat.html
    on its face and in the circumstances which it is made is so unequivocal, unconditional, immediate and specific as to the person threatened as to convey a gravity of purpose, imminent prospect of execution

And yes I think in all circumstances that this should result in jail time