Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

sociology?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
what exactly does it entail?

i'm thinking of doing a joint honours at london met with music tech,a nd it sounds interesting but the course details are still a little vague (i.e. giving topics of study rather than what they tend to look at ect.

can anyone help me?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I did Sociology for AS (I got an A in one exam and a U in the other lol - leaving me with an overall E, I have no idea how that happened).

It is basically the study of people...usually broken down into sections... Family and Education being one of them, basically looking into how people's education and family status can affect them e.t.c and how society has made this the case.
    You'll also look at different Sociologists and their theories about things with certain experiments that they've done to prove this... some really quite interesting one's like going under-cover in the BNP...
  • Options
    sounds like my kind of thing...

any idea how i could use the 2 in conjunction?
  • Options
    Eds pretty much right. If you like looking at society its a good one to do.

Sociology would help you in reaserching, debate, understanding other people points of view and trying to explain the same thing from different viewpoints.
  • Options
    but how would i be able to use it with music tech stuff?
  • Options
    Not sure about Music Tech... but in relation to music, you could look at the different sub-cultures in music, how they are viewed in Society and what has made them this way.
  • Options
    People who do socilogy tend to me pretty clever but they can sometimes try to label people or do the 'ahhhh...' as if they understand you when you say something in particular.

Last sociologist I knew was into BDSM. *shrug*
  • Options
  • Options
    Here is some information related to your question from the British Sociological Association. :)
  • Options
    Just remember that a lot of the time with joint honours you seem to end up with three quarters of the work from each subject so have much more to do over all (even if the universities say otherwise).