Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

172mph guy a hero?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why is the 172mph speeder being treated / reported on as some kind of hero?
Fastest man in a car gets nicked for speeding ... whoopee doo
This is only going to encourage eejits to try and out-do him in terms of speed.

Also, I don't know (m)any people who have been done for speeding - but what is the general sentence for speeding? Surely you shouldn't have a sentence lengthened because of how fast you, but purely because he broke the law.
90mph or 172mph in a 70mph zone is the same regardless. speeding.

Comments

• Options
    Thats dissaponinting.....

I would have thought a Porsche 911 Turbo could have at least done 180mph. :p

TBH speeding drivers (on motorways) dont bother me that much, far more important crimes to be dealing with.

Give him and fine, ban him for a year but taking up another prison place for a couple of weeks just seems like a waste in my opinion.

:thumb:
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »
    Also, I don't know (m)any people who have been done for speeding - but what is the general sentence for speeding? Surely you shouldn't have a sentence lengthened because of how fast you, but purely because he broke the law.
    90mph or 172mph in a 70mph zone is the same regardless. speeding.

Eh?? The general 'sentence' is 3 points mate. Of course the punishment adjusts to fit the crime.

That's like as if someone gets done doing 33 in a 30 or 70 in a 30, you think they both carry equal weight ??
  • Options
    Eh?? The general 'sentence' is 3 points mate. Of course the punishment adjusts to fit the crime.

That's like as if someone gets done doing 33 in a 30 or 70 in a 30, you think they both carry equal weight ??

Yes. It's speeding, regardless of how much above the limit you were.
  • Options

If you look in the thread about the train vandals / spray painting I say that one of the virtues of the British legal system is that cases are (or should) be judged on an individual basis.

Of course 172mph is worse and endangering more lives than doing 77mph.

I think it's right that he's been locked up. From my experience on a motorbike forum, over 100mph is generally a ban with a chance of a prison sentence, really depending on circumstances. One guy I knew got off by saying he'd just bought the bike and wasn't used to the power, and sold it before going to court.

In this case the driver was told he couldn't, he wasn't insured incase he DID have an accident (which would have meant anyone who needed medical support for the rest of their lives as a result of his reckless driving would have had to foot the bill themselves), yet he took the car anyway and drove massively in excess of the speed limit.

I think doing 80, even 90mph on the motorway isn't a major issue. It's statistically the safest road and as long as you drive appropriate to the conditions and circumstance it's often very safe to drive that fast.

But if you want to race, or push a car to it's limits, then go to the track. Using the public highway will and does end up with people being killed or crippled.
  • Options

I can't even entertain this comment, wait til you have kids then walk up the street with some cunt driving past you at 70/80, tell you now, it's not a nice feeling and VERY different.
  • Options
    I can't even entertain this comment, wait til you have kids then walk up the street with some cunt driving past you at 70/80, tell you now, it's not a nice feeling and VERY different.

That only supports my statement that speeding is speeding, regardless.
  • Options
    What I find annoying are roads where the speed limits are kept low to help the flow of traffic during the morning and evening peak times but stay that same speed even at like 11pm.

The A40 for example has limits of 40 MPH to help traffic flow but is built like a motorway with 3 lanes at some places.

Trying to constantly keep an eye on your speed and limit it to just 40 mph when you're on what otherwise would be 70 mph road is probably more distracting and less safe then driving faster.

I think if there were smart speed limits which were posted on electronic signs and variated based on the time of day, traffic and weather conditions people might stick to them more. But not like those stupid signs you see on the motorway which tell you to go 50 mph cos of roadworks which don't exist.
  • Options
    And assault is assault, so presumably somebody lightly pushing you is as serious as somebody punching you to the ground and jumping repeteadly on your head until all your teeth are out and your nose is broken in three places, right?

Other than the fact that you are breaking the law there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing 80 or even 90+ on a motorway on the right conditions. However there is a lot wrong with doing 172mph on any UK road, and in particular on non-motorway ones.
  • Options
    Driving fast on motorways is not inherently dangerous. Many sections of the autobahns in Germany have no general speed limit for cars and their safety record is good. However, there are lots of police around and they're very hot on dangerous driving, I've heard you can get fined a couple of hundred euros for stuff like tailgating.

Going through Bavaria at 150mph in a Mercedes has to be done. :D Not that I was driving! Although tbh struggling along at 70 in my mini feels faster than 150 in a Mercedes... Even at 150 a Merc is still very quiet and smooth.

As for speeding in general, it's not really the figure itself that should be the issue. Doing 45 in a built up 30 when the place is busy with pedestrians is probably a lot more dangerous than doing well over 100 on a quiet stretch of motorway. But - on a congested bit of motorway right before a very busy junction, in fog and rain doing 70 might well be dangerous. Proper police enforcement should be a bit more like Germany where they come down hard on dangerous driving - but where going fast, when it's safe to do so is allowed...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And assault is assault, so presumably somebody lightly pushing you is as serious as somebody punching you to the ground and jumping repeteadly on your head until all your teeth are out and your nose is broken in three places, right?

And in that same vein, stealing is stealing, whether it's some kid stealing a couple of penny sweets from the newsagents, or someone commiting an armed robbery at a bank...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    What are you talking about? Is there a link anywhere?
  • Options
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1285441,00.html

Doesn't sound hero like there - but on TV reports etc it comes across as a superhero who defied all odds and went so fast they just had to charge him.

Anyways, he was speeding - why should THAT get in the news?! Because it was faster than anyone else - thus, he HAS done something special :rolleyes:
  • Options
    And in that same vein, stealing is stealing, whether it's some kid stealing a couple of penny sweets from the newsagents, or someone commiting an armed robbery at a bank...
    So you would agree with sentencing someone who has stolen 2p worth of sweets to twenty years without parole, just as you would with someone who's stolen millions of Pounds from a bank? Funny sense of justice you have...
  • Options
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1285441,00.html

Doesn't sound hero like there - but on TV reports etc it comes across as a superhero who defied all odds and went so fast they just had to charge him.

Anyways, he was speeding - why should THAT get in the news?! Because it was faster than anyone else - thus, he HAS done something special :rolleyes:
    Well of course he has. The speed at which he was clocked was nothing short of fucking obscene. If you really think there is no fundamental difference between going a couple of miles over the limit and travelling at 172mph you really need to sit down and think things through a little.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    So you would agree with sentencing someone who has stolen 2p worth of sweets to twenty years without parole, just as you would with someone who's stolen millions of Pounds from a bank? Funny sense of justice you have...

I was agreeing with you about the the ridiculousness of saying speeding is all the same, by saying stealing is all the same... :p
  • Options
    I was agreeing with you about the the ridiculousness of saying speeding is all the same, by saying stealing is all the same... :p
    :o
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    What I find annoying are roads where the speed limits are kept low to help the flow of traffic during the morning and evening peak times but stay that same speed even at like 11pm.

The A40 for example has limits of 40 MPH to help traffic flow but is built like a motorway with 3 lanes at some places.

Trying to constantly keep an eye on your speed and limit it to just 40 mph when you're on what otherwise would be 70 mph road is probably more distracting and less safe then driving faster.

I think if there were smart speed limits which were posted on electronic signs and variated based on the time of day, traffic and weather conditions people might stick to them more. But not like those stupid signs you see on the motorway which tell you to go 50 mph cos of roadworks which don't exist.

drivers should really use common sense in adverse weather conditions and not just because the sign tells them to
  • Options
    Driving fast on motorways is not inherently dangerous. Many sections of the autobahns in Germany have no general speed limit for cars and their safety record is good. However, there are lots of police around and they're very hot on dangerous driving, I've heard you can get fined a couple of hundred euros for stuff like tailgating.

I think the standard of motorway driving in this country is a joke. I really try hard to drive the right way, even though I regularly go over the speed limit when the conditions are okay for it. I only go into the outside lanes to overtake like you're supposed to, and I've noticed that most of the drivers who speed a lot actually tend to be much better drivers than those who don't. Then you see some pricks who refuse to move into the inside lane even when they're not overtaking, but of course they think they're a safe driver just because they're going under the speed limit. It's dangerous, because it creates a load of congestion behind them since everyone has to overtake them in single file (and then you get the other type of prick on a motorway - the one who thinks that if they indicate, it's automatically safe to pull out in front of someone).

I think variable speed limits are the way forward (although to be fair, they don't tend to be too bothered about motorway speeding most of the time) along with everyone having to do the Pass Plus course or something similar. I was on the M6 toll road the other week, and there's no way I'm going 70 on a completely clear road in perfect conditions, and neither was anyone else. I'd say most people were going over 100 on it, yet it was perfectly safe. I love that road, but it's a bit expensive at £4 for only a few miles.
  • Options
    So true. I think some dickheads think the inside lane is only for slow cars and lorries or something. Grr, what is with that. Although, even more annoying is when one lorry tries (and often fails) to overtake another lorry... Unless it's a four lane bit of motorway, or there's something going under 50mph I would restrict lorries to the inside lane only...except between 1am and 4am. Same goes for caravans. Will never happen though.
  • Options
    Lane discipline in this country is not very good, it has to be said. Then again nor is it in most other places.
  • Options
    The faster you go, the more you put others at risk (lesser brakeing distance, more damage on impact) thus the more you are punished. Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    So true. I think some dickheads think the inside lane is only for slow cars and lorries or something. Grr, what is with that. Although, even more annoying is when one lorry tries (and often fails) to overtake another lorry... Unless it's a four lane bit of motorway, or there's something going under 50mph I would restrict lorries to the inside lane only...except between 1am and 4am. Same goes for caravans. Will never happen though.

Funnily enough, I was discussing this on another foum and broughtt up the exact point.

Specially on the A14.
  • Options
    Yeah, my idea was that if you are going to impliment variable speed limits based on the volume of traffic, then you can also impliment a ban on lorries overtaking using the same technology. It's usually not a problem when there's not much traffic. It's when the motorway is completely full, everyone's going 60, and some bright spark has the idea to pull his lorry into the middle lane. Incidentally, overtaking long vehicles on a motorway or A-road is one situation where it's often actually safer to go above the speed limit.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Woop de do, he broke hte speed limit. 172mph? Lame.

180mph in 3rd gear - thats impressive. But that was a Spitfire engined rover SD1.