Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bulimia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Do you mind if I ask if you got professional help last time, or was it your own work?

I don't have experiences of eating disorders, but I used to self-harm, and after some CBT I was able to recognise the negative thinking patterns that I used to get into, which would lead to me wanting to self-harm. Sometimes I still want to harm when things are really bad, but I have the mechanisms in place where I can recognise and stop the negativity in its tracks. Maybe something like that could help you?
  • Options
    I had an eating disorder too, but I've been "clean" for about 3 years now. Whenever I had negative thoughts or contemplated doing it again I found a hobby to take over the urge. I started running when I felt like I was going to purge and it worked.
  • Options
    Hey there

Really sorry to hear what you're going through...

As go_away said, it might help if you can access some professional help and support. There are different ways you could approach this. The most obvious step is to talk to your doctor (GP), who may be able to help you get some counselling or cognitive behaviour therapy (cbt).

It can be really hard to speak openly about these things, especially if you don't have a great rapport with your GP. So, you could also contact an organisation like b-eat - they have a helpline especially for young people you could call on 0845 634 7650, plus a good section on getting help and support.

Beyond this, is there anyone close to you that knows about your bulimia? It can help so much if you can open up and have someone to give you some moral support when you need it.

Take care
    x
  • Options
    Hey
    thanks for the advice everyone
    no i never got professional help i got through it on my own with the help of my boyfriend.
    Its just it was pretty obvious what was wrong back then ( i was stressed, ex worries, exams etc) but at the moment theres nothing sticking out thats wrong.
  • Options
    i sympathise with you. I purge daily, sometimes more than once. Its a horrible mind fuck. Compulsions just take over and its a hard habit to break.

As others have said, speak to someone about it.
    good luck
  • Options
    its really hard to get over. For me it always comes back in times of stress.
  • Options
    its really hard to get over. For me it always comes back in times of stress.
    usally same but I dont think I'm stressed or atleast not on the same scle as I am usually
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    I got myself out of it eventually but now I'm finding I'm slipping back into binging habits and purging is once again becoming normal behaviour and i dont know why, i just cant stop it.

I just cant stop though.

i've gone back to vomiting too; something i feel i can't get out of.
  • Options
    5 years.. still going.. strong?

its been 5 years since i started having bulimia. i started purging in grade 7 just to lose weight and look good. It seemed to work because every time i would eat anything i would throw it up.. and not even large amounts.. like.. a bite of bread . It was more like anorexia but then if i was forced to eat i would throw it up. However, along this time period it has become more of a binge,purge,binge again, purge again (continuously) cycle and i dont know what to do about it. Like.. five years.. and i know how harmful it is to my heath (ie. cardiovascular problems) but i just cant stop! I have seen many phyciatrists.. no one helped.. any suggestions?
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    Hey
    thanks for the advice everyone
    no i never got professional help i got through it on my own with the help of my boyfriend.
    Its just it was pretty obvious what was wrong back then ( i was stressed, ex worries, exams etc) but at the moment theres nothing sticking out thats wrong.
    Sometimes things happen or we do what we do when there isn't really anything going on or things are going ok. I still self harm when I have good days, not all the time, but sometimes I do do it. But when I think back its usually because of the thing that happened before which has triggered it. I believe that there is a cause and a concequence/action.