Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Moving to London

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Taken a year out of uni, althought still need to make it 'official' purely cause i'm feeling its the right thing for me at this time.

Looking at my options right now, the one thing that keeps coming up in my head is moving to London for six months in the new year.

Don't want to do anythng too rash so thats why i'm not leaving as we speak, but I am nineteen and feel like at the stage i am at in life it would be a really positive thing for me.

Lookin at it practically, my rents paid til end of october, i can move in with my gran til january and save all my wages in the meantime.

Just lookin for any advice on where the fuck to start really.

Any one been through anything similiar? Or any specific tips with movin to London?

Cheers. x

Comments

• Options
    Why would you want to move to London? as in, what would you do there?
  • Options
    London is fucking expensive and the people are miserable. Other than that its a great city. :thumb:
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Why would you want to move to London? as in, what would you do there?

Well the same thing i do in glasgow!

Work some crappy job, earn enough to pay my rent and spend the rest on enjoying life.

Its something I want to do while I am young and dont have any ties holding me down.

My friends and family will all still be here when i get back.
  • Options
    Why would you go for six months?

Chances are the weather will be pretty shit for when you're going, it'll be a pain in the hole finding a flat/flatshare that's a) within your budget and b) not deep in the heart of ASBO Britain, you'll bankrupt yourself every time you fancy a pint of cider, and if you get lonely then it's very possibly the loneliest city in the world for a newbie.

A lot of my mates from uni were all "Aaaah, we're all going to move to London and live da vida loca and all this", but it was a pipe dream. London is somewhere you move when you get a great career opportunity or something, not just for a random experience.

Didn't want that to sound like I'm pissing on your bonfire there, if you decide to do it then good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    London is pretty much just the same as any other city 'cept its more full of cunts than most.
    If you want a new city experience go work abroad somewhere!
  • Options
    Well the same thing i do in glasgow!

Work some crappy job, earn enough to pay my rent and spend the rest on enjoying life.

Its something I want to do while I am young and dont have any ties holding me down.

My friends and family will all still be here when i get back.

Ooooh, whereabouts in Glasgow are you from?

You are right about doing stuff when you're young and all that, t'is how I ended up in the Weeg :nervous:
  • Options
    I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to live in one of the biggest cities in the world for 6 months - if anything will probably make them see that the grass isn't always greener and it's also a chance to meet people from all over the world in one place.

Don't know where your gran lives but I would say you can probably only enjoy the city if you stay close to the centre or places that have the kind of things you're looking for cos it's a pain to get home after midnight in London with no trains. I can get into central London in 40 minutes by tube but to get home is more like 2.5 hours on the night buses... including a death defying 30 minute walk in the dark from the bus station..

I'm NOT a huge fan of London .. it's simply too large and has a population bigger then some countries . eg. 8 million in London vs 4 million in the whole of Ireland!!
  • Options
    I reckon you should go for it ! The experience of living in another city should be good.

Maybe go down there for the weekend with a friend or something and start looking at places to rent because London is reeeeally expensive for property (and so is most of the south tbh) but the jobs might be slightly better paid.

But all in all I think it sounds like a good idea change is good !

ps 4 million in Ireland? Seriously ?!
  • Options

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ei.html

There's practically no one in Ireland .. probably why I like it ;)
  • Options
    I moved to London when I was 19 to start university here and having graduated last year I still live here. For me, I find it a great city to live in. I much prefer it to where I'm originally from (Reading and the surrounding area).

If you are looking for accomodation a good place to start is www.gumtree.com as they have flatshares etc on it.
  • Options
    If you decide you'd rather go to a smaller city then I'd recommend Newcastle :D
  • Options
    Will everyone stop dissin london??

I moved there when I was 16 and it was the best thing I've ever done. I'm from Newcastle and loved living in such a huge city. It has so much to offer and there are so many opportunitys down there.

But it is very expensive to live. Depends on where you want to be and what you'll be doing down there??

But whatever i'd highly reccomend it :D
  • Options
    I love London, it's a great place and the people are NOT miserable as most people seem to think. It's just like any other city - just a bit bigger.

It is what you make of it...
  • Options
    I reckon you should go for it ! The experience of living in another city should be good.

Maybe go down there for the weekend with a friend or something and start looking at places to rent because London is reeeeally expensive for property (and so is most of the south tbh) but the jobs might be slightly better paid.

But all in all I think it sounds like a good idea change is good !

:yes:

You only live once! If you don't do it now... when will you do it? Like you say, anything goes pearshaped just get a train back to glasgow. At least you can say you tried something :)