Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Seven Year Marriage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A German politician has suggest that marriage should be limited to seven years and, unless both parties wanted it to continue, at that point the marriage should end.

Clicky From Times Story

I'm caught in two minds here, seeing the positives and negatives of such a move... haven't really decided if I like the idea or not...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't see why it can't be kept as it is. Marriage is for life, unless the people in it want it to end.
    I agree, leave it as it is.
    I don't really see the point and splitting up/ divorce isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    I don't see how this is any different from a divorce.
    They can get a divorce. What's the problem? Having said that, I believe that a marriage should be able to be altered to whatever the parties involved want. After all, it's no-one else's business but their own.
    that's like a post pre nup get out clause? goes against the whole idea of marriage tbh, surely you don't get married unless you think it's for life and you don't have to get married straight away, so this seems a bit daft.
    From the article (about the politician who suggested this):
    She has been married twice. Her second marriage ended in divorce last February. It lasted seven years.
    What's the problem with keeping it the way it already is?
    the person that wants the divorce has to get the other person to sign or they cant get divorced for 6 months, currently.
    i don't like it i think people are becoming to inclined to just get divorced rather than working at what they have...like if you where having problems and your marraige vows had to be renewd your more likely to say fuck it and leave....call me old fashioned but till death do us part and all that...if things are really bad thats fine...it was a mistake and leave...but the idea of the 7 year marraige i think would just desensitise people to the idea of divorce...
    dmdsexgod wrote: »
    the person that wants the divorce has to get the other person to sign or they cant get divorced for 6 months, currently.

Are you talking about the US?
    I think so, im not sure (i read it somewhere), im 21, never been married.
    If I were about to get married I would feel insulted if this 7 year bollox was standard, I mean- why should a politician decide that I, or anyone, can't decide that I want something for life? Who are they to decide that although both myself and my partner say we want something for life, they expect that we only really want it for 7 years? Yes, there may be a high(er) rate of divorce now and rising, but that doesn't mean the problem weith marriag is the lifelong commitment.
    i think they just want no one to get married. for example, most american politicians cheat on their spouses, don't really love each other.
    sounds like a good idea to me, like handfasting...
    what's handfasting?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    katralla wrote: »
    what's handfasting?
    Probably a period of 40 days during which you eat no hands.
    um who eats hands? seriously that sounded like something a 5 year old would say.
    um who eats hands? seriously that sounded like something a 5 year old would say.
    It's what you call a joke.
    Probably a period of 40 days during which you eat no hands.

or without using your hands. lol
    ok....

this is from wikipedia and i'll correct it at the end

Handfasting is a betrothal or wedding ritual in which the couple's clasped hands are tied together by a cord or ribbon ? hence the phrase "tying the knot". The tying of the hands may be done by the officiant of the ceremony, by the wedding guests, or by the couple themselves.

In the present day, some "Neopagans" practice this ritual. The marriage vows taken may be for "a year and a day", a lifetime, or "for all of eternity". Whether the ceremony is legal, or a private spiritual commitment, is up to the couple. Depending on the state where the handfasting is performed, and whether or not the officiant is a legally recognized minister, the ceremony itself may be legally binding, or couples may choose to make it legal by also having a civil ceremony. Modern handfastings are performed for heterosexual or homosexual couples, as well as for larger groups in the case of polyamorous relationships. "Handfasting is not currently legally recognised in the UK."

it is completly legally, though only legaly binding if performed by someone licenced to perform marriages, and thus would need to be divorced from if you decided not to continue. there is also the seven year option which isn't added in the article above...
    wikipedia is bullshit. they said all people with my disability are retarded. i think not, they are just incompetent bastards who don't bother to look at information, so they just make it up and neglect to be truthful in their writing.
    would you like to enlighten us what your disability is? and also thats why wiki is editable...i just don't have the time to edit even pagan related piece...

it was the easiest to find...
    It was mentioned in the thread he made about health care.

Wikipedia is alright for a starting point, but I do prefer uusing other sources.
    Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, hence my name is dmdsexgod.
    ok....

this is from wikipedia and i'll correct it at the end

Handfasting is a betrothal or wedding ritual in which the couple's clasped hands are tied together by a cord or ribbon ? hence the phrase "tying the knot". The tying of the hands may be done by the officiant of the ceremony, by the wedding guests, or by the couple themselves.

Aw, well that all sounds lovely. Thing is, the handfasting people don't say "forever" and then someone else tells them they can't make a forever decision without a review at 7 years. If a couple decide to handfast for seven years that's up to them, and their right. I don't see any good reason to change marriage to seven years- if enough people want this sort of arangement, I think it should be called something else, perhaps a seven year handfasting.
    and terms like that are childish.
    they are called pagans not "handfasting people" :)

all handfastings start at a year and a day, then 7 year, for life time and then for eternity...
    ok, but isnt this kind of off topic?
    Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, hence my name is dmdsexgod.
    yeah well i wouldn't think much of it. I have a litany of "disablities" which do have a marked effect on my life and if talked about being dyspraxic, dyslexic and having irlen's syndrome then they think i'm stupid and incapable of achieving academic success, yet i have 9 GCSEs which i got within the space of 9 months after being out of mainstream education for over 2 years...sorry completly off topic but i thought it might help to let you know...