Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Moving Cities

Has anyone experienced a major move of towns/cities on their own before? Other than going to uni I mean. I'm in a situation now where I'm only at my job until the end of next week, Im looking for another one and things keep springing up in different parts of the country which would be perfect if I lived there. I just constantly feel like Oxford is going to be somewhere that I associate with the period of my life where I was a student and think I need to break away from that and make a fresh start somewhere for work, find a career etc. rather than just a job. I guess it would help if I knew what I wanted to do in the long run but I just cant seem to work that out either :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, done it a few times.

London baby!
  • Options
    If you see a job then like then go for it. You should be able to at least get a flat share fairly quickly if you need to. It doesnt matter if you dont know what to do, even just moving might gove some ideas/motivation.

Or just move down south. ;)
  • Options
    Or just move up north. ;)

Good plan :thumb:

I guess it just depends how much you have tying you to the old city. If there isn't that much - go for it. What do you have to lose?
  • Options
    I moved to Glasgow on the spur of the moment for the sheer fuck of it at the start of last year.

I'd split up with my ex, was in a crappy job and I didn't see why I was still in Dundee? Considered going back to Aberdeen, but I thought fuck it, the nightlife is a lot better in Glasgow if nothing else - went and got a job down here then worked my way up to another semi-decent job justnow, made a lot of good pals (and remember I'm really shy) and I'm waaaay happier than I was 18 months ago. Could be argued that it's matured me quite a bit too.

Go for it!
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I moved to Glasgow on the spur of the moment for the sheer fuck of it at the start of last year.

I'd split up with my ex, was in a crappy job and I didn't see why I was still in Dundee? Considered going back to Aberdeen, but I thought fuck it, the nightlife is a lot better in Glasgow if nothing else - went and got a job down here then worked my way up to another semi-decent job justnow, made a lot of good pals (and remember I'm really shy) and I'm waaaay happier than I was 18 months ago. Could be argued that it's matured me quite a bit too.

Go for it!

I have moved to a new city before, and planning on doing it again soon.

Not much for me in my current place, so I don't really have anything to loose.

Bri story is a good one. You have to think about what your leaving behind and then think to yourself, 'is it worth it'. If the answer is yes, then go for it as you have nothing to loose.

You might end up in a much better position, after all your hometown will always be there.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I've just moved from Lancashire to Southampton purely for work purposes. Knew no one down here when I moved, but in 3 weeks I've already got a good friendship base and so on and am loving it. Best decision I've made in ages. Was nervous about doing it though and did worry that it could be a really silly thing to do.
  • Options
    Move to Leeds :hyper:

I moved to Leeds recently but I'm still at uni in York so it wasn't much of a change, although my parents live a lot further away so it is a big move in that respect.
  • Options
    Ive done it twice and i dont regret either. Its great to have a fresh start