Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Under warranty laptop repairs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend got a laptop last xmas, the battery went weird 3 months ago so she got it repaired because it was under warranty. The battery has just gone again and it's still under warranty but this time the manufacturers are refusing to repair it. Are they allowed to do this even though it's still under warranty?

Comments

• Options
    Nope. She has a right to demand her money back.

I would, then go elsewhere and buy another laptop
  • Options
    I would've thought that under warranty it was unlimited repairs?
  • Options
    It's her statutory right to have a product fit for purpose. The battery not working means it is not fit for purpose. I don't know if she can have her money back? But I'm sure they ought to replace or repair.
  • Options
    well it was from woolies and they said it's nothing to do with them, it's all down to the manufacturer. I'll tell her to demand her money back.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    well it was from woolies and they said it's nothing to do with them, it's all down to the manufacturer. I'll tell her to demand her money back.

She would have to get the manufacturer to fix it or demand her money from Woolworths. They might fob you off, but you are entitled to a full refund.
  • Options
    Ok woolies said that they need authorisation from medion (manufacturer) to say its unrepairable before they'll refund. Medion are refusing to refund and are saying it can be repaired. They have been arguing on the phone but they refuse to give her money back. What should she do?
  • Options
    Check this bad boy out

Tells you everything you need to know about your rights.

:thumb:
  • Options
    mention the Sale Of Goods Act. It's Woolies who have the responsibility to her, not the manufacturer. She purchased from them, not direct.

She is entitles to a full refund if the item purchased is not "fit for the purpose" for which it was bought. If she can use it then they have to refund her.

If they refuse again then she should threaten to call Trading Standards. I've yet to meet a shop owner who wanted them digging aroung ;)