Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Being off sick

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right.

I've been off work sick for the last couple of days, heart palpitations and sweating like a nympho. It comes and goes, but I handed in a sickline to my work which covers me for tomorrow - so as things stand I'm due back on Friday.

Thing is, it's the football tomorrow night and I'm supposed to be going up to watch it, had a half day booked months in advance. I really want to go cause it's the UEFA Cup, even if I'm not well enough to go up I'd still want to watch it in the pub, fuck I'd even drink Britvic all night if it came down to it.

I was thinking about going in to work tomorrow irrespective of how I feel and just doing my best, but basically my issues are...

1. My flatmate says that because I've put in a doctor's sickline then I can't go into work tomorrow because I'm not insured?

2. It's on my time (evening kick off obv), so if I get seen in the pub or even get my face seen in the crowd on TV could I get fucked by work for it? Assuming I'm at work on Friday (which I'm 999.9999% I will be, if I wasn't then I wouldn't be out on Thursday anyway)

Cheers :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    cannie do bugger all if ya got a sickline, sickline stops ya working not going out so your fine

it's "not" illegal to go back to work on a sickline as far as i've just been told.

why you got a week, you don't need one for the first week of sick leave?
  • Options
    1. You can go back to work at anytime, you don't have to wait until a sicknote has expired.

2. If I was your manager I would be interested why you were too ill for work, if you are fit enough to go to football. However, if you have a doctors note there is fuck all they can argue - without a second opinion that is.
  • Options
    Just got to the pub. If you get seen, just say you felt better. :thumb:
  • Options
    2. If I was your manager I would be interested why you were too ill for work, if you are fit enough to go to football.

What would you say (as a manager) if I said I was feeling really bad until say 6pm (I work 8am-4.30pm) then I felt better afterwards when I wasn't supposed to be at work?

It'd be a bit convenient fair enough, but who's my manager to say when I was and wasn't feeling better? Fuck, the last couple of days I've felt rough as fuck first thing, then gradually better during the day - football or no football.

Hellfire - the doctor gave me a 48hr sickline I think, which I handed into my Operations Manager today. She didn't even look at it tbh.
  • Options
    I'd be pissed off, but I couldn't prove that you'd done anything wrong.

I would, however, be looking for any excuse to get shot of you asap.
  • Options
    I would, however, be looking for any excuse to get shot of you asap.

You've put the fear of God into me now :nervous:

I'm pretty sure I'll feel shite tomorrow morning, but it's only a half day and I suppose I'll get some brownie points for showing up when I'm already covered by the sickline?

Chances of me getting seen are pretty small in a pub in a city this size or on TV, but my burkas in the wash and I've just got this horrible image of getting caught red handed. I'd also feel like shite deceiving to my manager because he's a really good guy, a mate even.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    You've put the fear of God into me now :nervous:

Look at it from his p.o.v.

Would you employ someone who was too sick to work, but fit enough to go to football a couple of hours later? Unreliable employee.

Now, add to that is the argument that "after work hours I felt better". Well that will just piss him off, partly because he knows that he can't do anything about it, in this instance.

Seriously, I would be looking for an excuse to get rid.
    I'm pretty sure I'll feel shite tomorrow morning, but it's only a half day and I suppose I'll get some brownie points for showing up when I'm already covered by the sickline?

Damned right you would.

In one post you've gone from being unreliable piss taker, to Mr Committed Employee of the month. Fancy a promotion?
    Chances of me getting seen are pretty small in a pub in a city this size or on TV, but my burkas in the wash and I've just got this horrible image of getting caught red handed. I'd also feel like shite deceiving to my manager because he's a really good guy, a mate even.

You are right, chance are slim. But shit happens.

besides, someone who is like a mate may well take the insult a little more personally....
  • Options
    Look at it from his p.o.v.

Would you employ someone who was too sick to work, but fit enough to go to football a couple of hours later? Unreliable employee.

Now, add to that is the argument that "after work hours I felt better". Well that will just piss him off, partly because he knows that he can't do anything about it, in this instance.

Seriously, I would be looking for an excuse to get rid.

Damned right you would.

In one post you've gone from being unreliable piss taker, to Mr Committed Employee of the month. Fancy a promotion?

You are right, chance are slim. But shit happens.

besides, someone who is like a mate may well take the insult a little more personally....

In full agreement with this.
  • Options

And this is why I'm in at work today.

I'll be blatantly honest in my back to work interview later too, I feel like shite and I wouldn't be here if I didn't have plans for tonight.