Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hit and run!

Ok, so if a driver knocks someone over, and gets out of the car to tell the victim "you shouldn't really have done that" then gets in his car and drives away. that the accident was caused by both driver and victim, but avoidable if the driver had been paying attention.

Would you be able to get them done for hit and run? Yes I did get his number plate, and no I'm not too badly hurt.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    how was the accident coursed?
  • Options
    Crossing 2 lanes on a dual carriage way,not a git massive one,just between a couple of big roundabouts on an industrial estate. Car on the lane closest to me (quite close) slows right down and waves me across, this car is about 20metres away.

I cross gthe two lanes and get to within 1ft of the far side,and a car who has seen me from all the way down the road, 150 metres or more,hits me.

Maybe I misjudged etc,but if the driver had been paying attention, he would have had ample time to stop
  • Options
    Regardless of fault, the person has to notify the police of the accident because you could have been hurt.
  • Options
    Well i have notified the police, as soon as i got checked over by the hospital.

Got the reg number as i said, and because i dont live in the area, cleavland police are coming to see me at work tomorrow.

Been making me think, if that guy has not informed the police what soever, i mean he had no details or anything of mine, then he could be in a bit of trouble, even if it was totally my fault, which it wasnt.
  • Options
    Failure to report an accident within 24 hours is a criminal offence, so yes, he could be in trouble.
  • Options
    From the situation you've described I am definately 'on the fence' with this one. You really shouldn't rely on one person 'waving you across' a dual carriageway.

From experience he'll probably be charged and we'll be reading a thread from you about how you sued him. :(
  • Options
    TBH though Bumble, a couple of hundred yards is plenty long enough to slow down. Besides even if it was G's fault the bloke still should have stopped.
  • Options
    TBH though Bumble, a couple of hundred yards is plenty long enough to slow down. Besides even if it was G's fault the bloke still should have stopped.

He did stop, and get out of his car:
    gets out of the car to tell the victim "you shouldn't really have done that" then gets in his car and drives away

Perhaps "you shouldn't really have done that" wasn't the only thing he said? Perhaps in a dazed and confused state MrG said he was ok/ I know when I in an accident once I was asked if I was ok and I said I was absolutely fine. An hour later I was in hospital.

No disrespect to MrG. I'm sorry if I come across as mean but I feel that people running out into the road is one of the main dangers to drivers!
  • Options
    He didn't run out into the road tho :confused:

he was waved across buy only car near him then as he reached other side another car hit him cos the driver wasn't paying attention
  • Options
    The guy who drove off has to legally report to a police station within 24 hours of the accident regardless of who's fault it was, however failing to do so is a serious offence.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The guy who drove off has to legally report to a police station within 24 hours of the accident regardless of who's fault it was, however failing to do so is a serious offence.

So even if MrG was perfectly fine and was quite happy with what happened the driver is still breaking the law? What if the driver went to a police station and said 'I ran someone over' but there was no record of it (i.e. MrG hadn't gone to the police) could he still be charged?
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    So even if MrG was perfectly fine and was quite happy with what happened the driver is still breaking the law? What if the driver went to a police station and said 'I ran someone over' but there was no record of it (i.e. MrG hadn't gone to the police) could he still be charged?
    Probably not.

The point is he could get charged for not reporting the accident. It's important to report it incase an injury becomes apparent later.

However IMO you were stupid to cross a duel carraige way and you'd be even more stupid to go after compensation (I know you've not said you're going to do this but I'm preempting the inevitable 'sue his ass' replies)
  • Options
    Theres walkways to walk across the carriageway, its not a massive dual carriageway, the lanes are quite narrow. You know those bits of kerb where it dips, the points where you are supposed to cross the road, thats where i crossed.

Turns out the reg number i gave, its a fake, but has been reported to the police before today for other offences.
  • Options
    Bumble, a driver is in responsibility for his car. If, as MrG says, he could have seen him from a way off then he should have slowed down. Saying 'I was the car on the road so it was my right to drive there' doesn't work anymore.

Same as on a roundabout, if someone pulls out in front of you, it used to be that he was automatically liable. Nowadays, if the police think you didn't react properly / were going too fast / weren't paying attention - then they will say you're liable too (they can tell by skidmarks etc.).

Today in town there was a driver that had stopped, I went to cross the road at the crossing and they floored it. The amount of drivers that assume because they're in the car, get blinkered vision on the road and think they own it because of the white lines is shocking. Same ones who have the accidents too.

Having spoken to IAM members etc., they say the best thing is constantly being aware of the surroundings and stopping an accident happening by being pro-active; if someone looks like they might cross, keep an eye on them and ease off a tiny bit so if you need to stop you can, that kind of thing.

Unfortunately my cheap-ass driving instructor just tells me I'm in the car ignore everyone else I've got right of way (I don't use him anymore :p).

Wee rant, sorry.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Turns out the reg number i gave, its a fake, but has been reported to the police before today for other offences.

Probably why he just drove off. Grrrr at him! :impissed:
  • Options
    I've got nothing to say on the legal side but I hope you're ok!
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »

No, if you're involved in an accident where both parties are happy, ie you've exchanged details and there are no aggravating factors, ie had the driver been drinking e.t.c. then neither party needs to report to the police.

It really applies in situations like MrG's, where the guy has stopped, said it's your fault and driven off without exchanging details, or just driven off without stopping.

Going to the police station and reporting it, doesn't mean you'll be charged anyway, especially if noone steps forwards to say they were run over. Make sense?