Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

storage heaters

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
We have some storage heaters, and tbh have no idea how to use them.

We can apparently store the heat during the day to use at night (or is that the other way around? :confused: ) so it is cheaper, however the main issue is when we turn it on it takes a good couple of hours until anything starts coming out.

Please help a frozen koe and bunnie....brrr!!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh how exciting! :hyper:

I deal with this issue all day at work.

If you have storage heaters you need to ensure you have an economy 7 electric meter installed. This should have two readings. ie. Day & Night.

If your meter only has one reading on it, then get it exchanged (your energy company should do it for free) The cheaper electricity times at night depend on your area, so I would call your energy company and ask them what times the cheaper electric kicks in.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Oh how exciting! :hyper:

I deal with this issue all day at work.

If you have storage heaters you need to ensure you have an economy 7 electric meter installed. This should have two readings. ie. Day & Night.

If your meter only has one reading on it, then get it exchanged (your energy company should do it for free) The cheaper electricity times at night depend on your area, so I would call your energy company and ask them what times the cheaper electric kicks in.

*clears throat*

I am blonde...please talk slowly....

I have a thing on the wall with a clock on, a winter or summer setting and a boost button. Is this it?

And my god, what is your job?

(I love it when I have Calvin on the case!!)
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »

I have a thing on the wall with a clock on, a winter or summer setting and a boost button. Is this it?

That will be your time switch. If you go and have a look at the meter. There should be two or three readings (depending on the meters age)

One reading will be called normal or day and the other reading should be low or night.

With the special Economy 7 meter there are 2 rows of figures. One is for the lower priced night-rate electricity in the top line - it is marked LOW or RATE 1. The other is for the day rate - it is marked NORMAL or RATE 2. When you read this meter, always check both rows of figures.

Meter should look like this electric-economy-seven.jpg

If your meter doesnt look like that and have two readings you may have the wrong meter installed.
  • Options
    right yep.

We have 2 readings.

Thanks for the pic.

So how do we make the heating come on?
  • Options
    So how do we make the heating come on?

Storage heaters usually have two controls - a charge control (often called "input"), which controls the amount of heat stored, and the draught control (often called "output"), which controls the rate at which heat is released. These controls may be set by the user, or in some models are automatic and allow you to set the target room temperature using a thermostat.

If you still cant get them working you two are going to have to think of another way of keeping warm ;)

PS: I work for an energy company.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Storage heaters usually have two controls - a charge control (often called "input"), which controls the amount of heat stored, and the draught control (often called "output"), which controls the rate at which heat is released. These controls may be set by the user, or in some models are automatic and allow you to set the target room temperature using a thermostat.

If you still cant get them working you two are going to have to think of another way of keeping warm ;)

PS: I work for an energy company.

it is far too cold for any of that business! ;)

i have output and input (my comment was, "input...what the hell am I going to put into it!") but they are both set at 7. Can I not get them to just come on when I am cold? Do we need to have the heaters on all the time for them to charge? I just dont want to leave and the heating be on and as a result cost us a fortune for wasted heat.

Oh Calvin, I dont like this, please help...or just come here and sort it. I will give you a beer!
  • Options
    it is far too cold for any of that business! ;)

i have output and input (my comment was, "input...what the hell am I going to put into it!") but they are both set at 7. Can I not get them to just come on when I am cold? Do we need to have the heaters on all the time for them to charge? I just don't want to leave and the heating be on and as a result cost us a fortune for wasted heat.

Oh Calvin, I don't like this, please help...or just come here and sort it. I will give you a beer!

You will need to set the timers then, this way you can time the heaters to come on and store the heat during the night (call your energy company and find out when your cheap elec is) and set them to give out heat when you both in the house during the day.

If the heaters don't have any heat stored yet, you should still be able to turn them on and set them to output which should warm you up for now.

You can then work out the timers tomorrow and get them working properly.

PS: Who is your energy company ?
  • Options
    we have worked out how to set the time on the wall thing.

there is a time on and a time off setting.

do we set the times for when we want it to store the heat, or for when we want it to output heat?

on the heaters themselves there is a input and out put as you said with ratings 1 - 7, so we can figure that out.

also, do the wall heaters have to be turned on at the wall switch all the time for them to charge or do we just turn them on when we want heat?

thanks!!
  • Options
    do we set the times for when we want it to store the heat, or for when we want it to output heat?

Im not sure, aint even seen on before. But i would guess

on the heaters themselves there is a input and out put as you said with ratings 1 - 7, so we can figure that out.

also, do the wall heaters have to be turned on at the wall switch all the time for them to charge or do we just turn them on when we want heat?

thanks!!

Check out this bad boy.

Everything you could ever want to know about the exciting world of storage heaters :p

That should pretty much talk you thru everything regarding your heaters. Any questions just drop me a line.

Good luck and dont feeze.