Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

EU: Expansion too rapid?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you think of the relatively rapid EU expansion, especially towards the East? Will the dream of a united Europe evapourate because of inlcuding too many countries too fast?

My (somewhat subjective) opinion is that the EU would benefit from slowing down a tad or two. In order to successfully establishing a healthy economy, it would be better to focus on already existing members first.

Comments

• Options
    You're right, the new member economies are much weaker than ours, relying on manufacturing economies, and as such incomes are lower which causes a lot of people looking for jobs in the promised lands, and causes our industries to want to move over there. In the long term it's a good thing - minimising costs and keeping the supply of labour high means suppliers can employ the best labour for the cheapest prices.

However, doing it very quickly causes massive instability as the 'system' can't cope with the change quickly enough, meaning there aren't enough new jobs over in the east and too many new workers over in the west.
  • Options
    while i'm in favour of the EU, you have to be honest and acknowledge that its main part is keeping ineffecient french farmers in business - and to extent those who are in other countries like the uk. what the EU doesn't seem to do enough of is to economically support the countries which lack some kind of development - it personally annoys me somewhat to see an "EU Grant" so some post-feminist muppet can make an art exhibition out of reused bottle tops while people in the east are literally starving, being exploited as sex slaves and living in communist conditions. i don't think that the expansion is too rapid, just that it was done for the wrong reasons - when you consider that more than two thirds of the EU budget is devoted to the CAP (common agri. policy) then visit these countries (and you can even find this in former eastern germany and relatively rich places like czech republic and poland) and see some of the conditions you have to wonder where the money is going and why.
  • Options
    I thoroughly support an economic Union but a political Union is a no go area for me. As the E.U is going toward an political union, I am highly skeptical of more countries becoming E.U members.

The obviously differences between potential members and members themselves are economic, social and political.

Economically, they are more deprived and indeed will need lots of funding to get anywhere near the economies of the west.
    However, free open markets should help both the E.U and new members in this area.

Politically, many of the countries are post communist and are still to this date trying to get over their troubled past. I think some countries are not yet ready to join such a big organization although they believe, joining the E.U will provide security against the past.

Socially, many, actually pretty much all new E.U members are more socially Conservative in their views. I think the E.U would play a good role in developing rights for minority groups in these countries, However, I think such change should take part from within, instead of forcing them to change. The E.U should be socially liberal and to become a member, the countries should take note of this.

On the whole, I do believe E.U expansion is too fast. The countries are not economically developed enough therefore causes masses of immigration and a lack of opportunities and jobs in their own countries.
  • Options
    I agree, that the EU needs to slow down a bit. Even though im american, i want to become a citizen of the uk, so i read a lot about european politics.
  • Options
    Denying EU membership to Eastern European countries would I imagine have strengthened Putin's influence in that region and isolated Western Europe whilst continuing a divide between Western and Eastern Europe. Expansion was right and necessary.

That said the EU needs to be reformed. In its current state membership would not seem to be in the interests of Britain, Germany and the Netherlands. French farmers come in for a lot of deserved criticism but the biggest beneficiaries of EU funds have recently tended to be Ireland, Portugal, Greece and Spain.
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with the expansion of the EU per-se. I think a wider economic union, rather than a deeper political union would be beneficial to all involved. Expansion would be fine if it was simply an economic union, where we could decide who we wanted to allow in, based on the skills we need, and the levels of migration we are able to prudently subsume.

But then you have to face the facts. You can't separate the two because the powers-that-be in Europe want both a wider and deeper union; the two go hand in hand; recognising this, I don't support expansion. That's why the Tories (who supported expansion) and are now complaining about Labour's 'shambolic' immigration policy - as if the current state of things wasn't the obvious outcome - are a bunch of turds.
  • Options
    I'm not against expansion in a long term perspecive per se, but EU will have to focus on financial support on higher education and "knowledge business". If not, one will end up with a economy based on (mainly) manufacturing businesses in the east (as no western manufacturing companies can compete with the price level) and service/knowledge business in the west. As knowledge businesses are traditonally associated with a higher salary, this doesn't contribute to even out the economical differences between west and east.
  • Options
    EU expansion towards the East might be considered positive in reducing Putin's influence in the region, however realistically, is a split Europe, considering there is no Iron Curtain anymore, and Russia is a far more wealthy and economically viable land of opportunity compared to the old USSR, such a bad thing? Would allowing Russia to Burden some responsibilty while We wealthy western powers burden the other responsibilties not a good economical concept?

I dont know about you, but a United Europe means nothing to me in a political sense, and the only economical side of it i want is to take whatever Britain can get that is viable... beyond that, it seems an unnecessary expense and poltical quagmire.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The EU is fine, nottoo rapid at all. The Euro has been getting stronger with the newer member states.

Due to them often being more industrial, than commercial, economies, they only contribute to Europe. That and the slave, sorry, cheap labour thier workforce offers the rest of the EU is only a benefit. Lets face it, they are not "stealing" jobs at all. They are doing it for less than others do it. How many brits would work the conditions the polish labours do?

It's a capitalist world, that's how it works, get over it. Don't like it? Change it.
  • Options
    The American economy runs on illegal immigrants. At least Europe is getting the same cheap labour in an above board way. I'd rather our immigrant workforce weren't living in constant fear of being caught, afraid to go to the hospital when they get hurt, or being tied to dodgy contracts by employers/landlords housing ten in a two bedroom flat, and were actually treated like human beings instead. The main issue everyone seems to have is allowing them access to public services. But if they're contributing to the economy, then they have as much right to hospital treatment, or housing benefit as some of the lazy fuckers who accuse them of "stealing our jobs" (that they've not had in ten years, but lets not let facts get in the way of blaming anyone but yourself).
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    The EU is fine, nottoo rapid at all. The Euro has been getting stronger with the newer member states.

Due to them often being more industrial, than commercial, economies, they only contribute to Europe. That and the slave, sorry, cheap labour thier workforce offers the rest of the EU is only a benefit. Lets face it, they are not "stealing" jobs at all. They are doing it for less than others do it. How many brits would work the conditions the polish labours do?

It's a capitalist world, that's how it works, get over it. Don't like it? Change it.

When it occurs to fast it causes negative externalities, which is why it needs to be controlled. Think of it like setting a sleeping baby down in a cot, there's no harm in letting it lay in its cot, but you can't just drop it down there else it will wake up and cry. You need to gently lower it in so the baby doesn't realise at all, then it can have a fantastic nights sleep.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    When it occurs to fast it causes negative externalities, which is why it needs to be controlled. Think of it like setting a sleeping baby down in a cot, there's no harm in letting it lay in its cot, but you can't just drop it down there else it will wake up and cry. You need to gently lower it in so the baby doesn't realise at all, then it can have a fantastic nights sleep.

Jesus, it's not like we let the world join europe with 1 hours notice is it? It's not even like there are many countries left who can join with that much wealth or influence.

Turkey definatley should be told to fuck off mind. Not in Europe, and still illegally occupying Cyprus. I hate that. Alot.
  • Options
    Turkey definatley should be told to fuck off mind. Not in Europe, and still illegally occupying Cyprus. I hate that. Alot.

Part of Turkey is in Europe. Plus, who are we to say what's European or not? Where are the geographical boundaries? As long as Turkey share common European ideals then I see no reason for them not to join, however they're not in that position at the moment so shouldn't join.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Part of Turkey is in Europe. Plus, who are we to say what's European or not? Where are the geographical boundaries? As long as Turkey share common European ideals then I see no reason for them not to join, however they're not in that position at the moment so shouldn't join.

... and the part of the Turkey that is in Europe is actually not really thier land at all.

I bet if Russia or America wanted to join, there'd be all sorts of outcry. But Turkey people don't seem to care about, despite thier actions, location, and political decisions.
  • Options
    ... and the part of the Turkey that is in Europe is actually not really thier land at all.

I bet if Russia or America wanted to join, there'd be all sorts of outcry. But Turkey people don't seem to care about, despite thier actions, location, and political decisions.

Everyone says that Turkey shouldn't join until such issues are sorted (especially the Cyprus issue). I wouldn't have a problem with Russia joining on principle, because part of their country is also in Europe. America isn't in Europe, so I don't see why they're even an issue. Turkey probably will become an EU member soon anyway, and I think they'd be a huge asset. I'm not an expert on economics, but I suspect they'd be a overall contributor to Europe, and would play a huge part in improving Europes relations with the middle east.

Oh and what are you on about the part of Turkey that's in Europe isn't really thier land? Istanbul isn't Turkish territory now is it? Kırklareli? Edirne? Tekirdağ? Çanakkale? They all look to be within Turkish borders to me.
  • Options
    Everyone says that Turkey shouldn't join until such issues are sorted (especially the Cyprus issue). I wouldn't have a problem with Russia joining on principle, because part of their country is also in Europe. America isn't in Europe, so I don't see why they're even an issue. Turkey probably will become an EU member soon anyway, and I think they'd be a huge asset. I'm not an expert on economics, but I suspect they'd be a overall contributor to Europe, and would play a huge part in improving Europes relations with the middle east.

Oh and what are you on about the part of Turkey that's in Europe isn't really thier land? Istanbul isn't Turkish territory now is it? Kırklareli? Edirne? Tekirdağ? Çanakkale? They all look to be within Turkish borders to me.

I was actualy refering to Cyprus there. The majority of thier country is outside of Europe. So a corner is in. The majority is outside. Same reason I wouldn't let Russia join (that and they would blatantly abuse thier power).

Turkey meets nearly none of the criteria for joining. About hte only thing on thier side that a little corner is in the EU. I have no problem at all wih Turkey, generally a well run country, apart from thier illegal occupation issues, but they are NOT a European country. I suppose some twats would argue it's racist or segregational to keep people out of Europe, but there is a reason it's the EU. Not the WU (World Union).
  • Options
    Strictly speaking Turkey does have a (small) proportion of its territory in Europe. Obviously there are various political reasons for them to join, regardless of geography. But as far as I'm concerned they should not be allowed until both their treatment of the Kurds and their human records improve dramatically. Even though they haven't carried out for some time, no country that has the death penalty in its books (during time of peace at least) should be allowed to join.