Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

100% clean / free from drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm giving up drugs........ (again).......
i hope i can manage it. although i'm not a big user by any means nor dependent on any drug... tend to mainly do coke and weed but occasionally will do whatever is on offer. i was just wondering really if any one wants to share any words of wisdom / advice on quitting? have any of you given up - how hard have you found it?
cheers.

Comments

• Options
    comedown talk??
  • Options
    Good on ya.

All I have to say is that you really want to do it inside if you want to stand any chance of suceeding. The weekends are the worst because once you get a few drinks into you then you get that wee thing in the back of your head saying "fuck gimme some x,y,z" so you could try staying in for a while and then seeing how it goes.

Suppose I just got sick of the "scene", prefer getting blocked and falling all over the show. The longer you get the less attractive taking hard drugs become, now if someone offers me them I don't even contemplate taking them.
  • Options
    being around people taking them is the hardest part for sure, tbh like turlough said you'll have to either REALLY REALLY want to stop taking them, or avoid being near the people who are gonna be indulging

drinks also the main problem, i could happily sit all week and say im not taking fuck all at the weekend and genuinely feel like it, but a few drinks later and its a different story

it doesnt get any more true:
    drink in wits out
  • Options
    comedown talk??

:no: i am serious ... going well so far tbh. although i do feel a bit low, restless and irritable but i guess thats to be expected as well as that i keep having to say "no" to myself.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    so you could try staying in for a while and then seeing how it goes.
    :yes: thats what i thought about the drink. turned down an invite earlier to go out tonight. i mean, so many people would be dropping pills or doing the odd line that the temptation would be too great i reckon.
    but hey! i know i can do this FOR GOOD THIS TIME!

some of my mates arn't so supportive but guess thats to be expected to. :(
  • Options
    Good on you.
    Giving up coke was one of the best things I ever did.... shame I got back on it again.

Good luck though. :thumb:
  • Options
    i gave up alcohol once ...there was no more dancing ...no more singing.
    but well done mate.
  • Options
    MR I havent seen you around here in AGES!

Yep! Well done, good on you and good luck too, of course.

Cant say i have experience with Drugs, but i didnt have a problem with Smoking, though i hadnt been smoking for long when i decided to quit and made my then girlfriend quit... though she recently started again and is already got that phlegmy cough.

Good luck!
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    i'm giving up drugs........ (again).......
    i hope i can manage it. although i'm not a big user by any means nor dependent on any drug... tend to mainly do coke and weed but occasionally will do whatever is on offer. i was just wondering really if any one wants to share any words of wisdom / advice on quitting? have any of you given up - how hard have you found it?
    cheers.

You should watch the movie Trainspotting again.. and again.. and again.
  • Options
    Traviangod wrote: »
    You should watch the movie Trainspotting again.. and again.. and again.

Requiem For a Dream would be better.

What a head fuck of a film.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Requiem For a Dream would be better.

What a head fuck of a film.
    Yes, yes it is.

Why anyone would want to carry on a skag-habit after watching this...
  • Options
    Yes, yes it is.

Why anyone would want to carry on a skag-habit after watching this...

If you're physically addicted you won't really give a shit, in fact you'd probably have sold the DVD and DVD recorder before even getting to watch it.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    If you're physically addicted you won't really give a shit, in fact you'd probably have sold the DVD and DVD recorder before even getting to watch it.

I agree! Hell I sold my DVD player and my Computer just to buy me some steroids when I was so addicted to it.

I should watch that movie requiem for a dream. is it any good? otter thinks quitting drugs is that easy. it ain't. and you'll have plenty of last times.
  • Options
    Traviangod wrote: »
    I should watch that movie requiem for a dream. is it any good? otter thinks quitting drugs is that easy. it ain't. and you'll have plenty of last times.

I definately wouldn't recommend watching it if you were on a comedown or still take drugs.

It all depends on the person, their drug and the level of their dependency. If you have a strong mind and will power it definately helps but it won't necessarily mean you'll quit easily.
  • Options
    Cant say Ive ever been addicted to drugs but it has been an every weekend thing for me for the past 7 months.
    When I went out at the weekend I didnt even think twice about it. I would pick up 4-5 pills on a Fri night or a gram of cocaine or sometimes maybe both. It was as normal as going to the bar and ordering a pint of lager.
    Last Saturday after a weekend cocaine binge I noticed my nose was getting a bit messed. The nasal cavitivies were a lot wider and the middle part of my nose was a lot thinner. It really scared me and it has scared me enough to give up drugs completely.
    Problem is for me, a lot of my friends take drugs and I have become very much involved in the drug scene. Iam going out tonight to a club so tonight will be the big test. As soon as I have a few beers, I know Iam going to want to pop a pill or have a line but Iam going to remember how bad I felt when I noticed my nose last Saturday.
    Stay strong mate, you know its for the best.