Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Jailed taggers bleat about "stress" of prison

Two little scrotes caused £25,000 worth of damage to trains in the North West, and expecting an ASBO and some community service, were jailed to 15 months in prison each.

Apparently this is terrible, and all the scrotes' little scrotey friends are using Facebook and MySpazz to campaign to get their lenient sentences overturned.

Story.

Thoughts?

Personally I think the sentence was wrong. It was about six months too short. I'm sure the "stress" of being convicted of a crime and being locked up in one of the most modern prisons in the country must be too much to bear :rolleyes:

Maybe next time he'll draw on paper rather than public property.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Didums. It's they're fault they're in there in the first place, so I don't quite understand why they're complaining.
    15 months seems harsh to me

Still if you can't serve the time don't do the crime, so my sympathy is muted...
    If they'd nicked £24,000 from Northern Trains they'd have got a lot longer. It's the same principle, especially as on their spree they destroyed several rare trains at the volunteer-run East Lancashire Railway.

I imagine it must have been a shock going into the dock thinking you'd get a slap on the wrist, but hopefully it will teach them a lesson.
    I don't see what good putting them in prison was supposed to do myself. Being in prison isn't helping the boys now, and I doubt it'll help them in the future, shame.
    katralla wrote: »
    I don't see what good putting them in prison was supposed to do myself. Being in prison isn't helping the boys now, and I doubt it'll help them in the future, shame.

it'll probably turn them into even harder criminals... but that aside i agree with Flashman's Ghost "if you can't serve the time don't do the crime" - simple as.
    1 1/4 years in prison does seem a bit harsh but a ASBO and community service imo would be too lenient.
    who benefits from the lads returning to society in 18 months time as hardened criminals. I have nothing against punishment for crime, but most terms of imprisionment don't seem to benefit anyone, it seems a shame.
    15 months? They'll be out by Christmas...
    There has to be a balance between deterrence, punishment and justice. All sorts of things should come into account, including whether they had commited any crimes before etc.

I believe 15 months is too much, specially considering what the general sentencing for various crimes tends to be in this country, but there is perhaps an argument for a custodial sentence. Two to six months would have been more adequate.

The problem is that jails in this country- and come to think of it, in most countries- offer little or no rehabilitation and in many cases actually make it more likely the prisoner will further offend, through drug use, lack of meaningful training and education etc. But on the other hand there has to be a level of deterrence present when the seriousness of the offence merits it.
    Why should the feelings of the two criminals be considered? I don't buy into the "hardened criminal" bullshit, I think a bit of prison should nicely hammer home the point that their behaviour was disgusting. HMYOI Lancaster Farms is actually quite a nice prison.

A non-custodial sentence would not have been a sufficient punishment for their behaviour. Especially as the two men responsible clearly didn't give a flying fuck about anyone else when they were destroying a lifetime's work at the East Lancs railway.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    including whether they had commited any crimes before

You mean, in the sense of increased time inside if they had? Or do you mean, in the sense that custodial is harsh for first time?
    Well. I guess it seems quite a long time, but yeah, if they walked into a shop and stole 24 plasma Tvs or something, they'd get the same, if not longer!

I'd say they deserve it, but it is a shame. People like that could be considered talented if they'd do something with it rather than being another asboer.
    You mean, in the sense of increased time inside if they had? Or do you mean, in the sense that custodial is harsh for first time?
    I meant that I believe there should be a greater leinency (sp?) when considering a sentence, for certain crimes only of course, if the person is a first time offender than for somebody who has a long catalogue of previous similar offences on record.
    I don't think I feel the sense of punishment for punishment's sake that others do- perhaps I wasn't disciplined enough as a child? lol
    Certainly seems too harsh when people get less than that for beating people up and stealing cars. Yea, its an eyesore and I am the first one who doesn't like it - but at the end of the day it's just paint, and locking someone away for 15 months seems excessive especially when if they'd have smashed someone over the head with a beer bottle they'd probably get off with a warning.
    Kermit wrote: »
    Why should the feelings of the two criminals be considered? I don't buy into the "hardened criminal" bullshit, I think a bit of prison should nicely hammer home the point that their behaviour was disgusting. HMYOI Lancaster Farms is actually quite a nice prison.

A non-custodial sentence would not have been a sufficient punishment for their behaviour. Especially as the two men responsible clearly didn't give a flying fuck about anyone else when they were destroying a lifetime's work at the East Lancs railway.

erm how about somethingf more suitable like 2-3 years of community service, like say 1000 hours of it or something

make them do something productive and punishing
    The maximum community service is 240 hours, above that you get imprisoned.

And 240 hours of community service sure as hell isn't a fitting punishment for £25,000 worth of damage.

It is "only paint", but at the same time, when someone gets their house burgled, it's "only a telly" isn't it? I personally think tagging is on a par with burglary, for the distress and damage and cost it causes.
    What's the distress element?

Trainspotters can't read the number.

Dunno about this case, but look at what this little shit did round by me. Thankfully, he stopped at the bottom of my street. Cunt.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I meant that I believe there should be a greater leinency (sp?) when considering a sentence, for certain crimes only of course, if the person is a first time offender than for somebody who has a long catalogue of previous similar offences on record.

I suspect these two are not first time offenders. I rather doubt they're a pair of innocents for which vandalism was a once in a lifetime event, before they moved on to a life blameless domesticity.
    Trainspotters can't read the number.

That made me lol :)

Kermit - I agree, I hate tagging. But sentences should be relative and proportionate to other sentences so the criminal system can be seen to be fair. Relatively speaking, this is quite a harsh penalty for a relatively minor crime.
    If they're moaning about how much they don't like prison, great. Leave them in there to moan all they want. Why are their opinions worth listening to?
    £24,000 worth of damage isn't comparable with stealing £24,000 then ShyBoy?
    £24,000 worth of damage isn't comparable with stealing £24,000 then ShyBoy?

I think it's worse. I can respect someone who steals £24k more than some mindless vandal. At least the thief has a decent motive.

The wanton destruction of a lifetime's work, perhaps?

And with regards to Barrow, if Scott Archer gets found guilty he should have his fucking hands chopped off.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    But sentences should be relative and proportionate to other sentences so the criminal system can be seen to be fair. Relatively speaking, this is quite a harsh penalty for a relatively minor crime.

The victims of this crime have been left out of pocket to the tune of £25,000.

I'd say that was a pretty serious crime.
    Kermit wrote: »
    And with regards to Barrow, if Scott Archer gets found guilty he should have his fucking hands chopped off.

Meh, I would've ran the fucker over if I'd caught him doing it to my car.
    If I had really any faith in our jails being able to rehabilitate people I'd be more happy with sentances of this length.

Its obvious the two need punishment, but if by doing so we are just creating an even bigger problem later its self defeating.
    they should have had "ThE MeT wOz Ere" tatood on ther forehead
    One of the two men was about to start a university course this week, so I really don't think the issue was about a lack of education or a lack of social awareness. I think they were just twats. I think the issue of rehabilitation is a bit of a red herring.