Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Reference?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
'Lo! I am moving into a gaff on the 21st of this month and the letting agency are saying I need a letter of reference off my parents and one from my employer.

What does a 'reference' entail exactly?

Ta.

Comments

• Options
    The employer one will be one saying you earn X amount and that you're in full-time permanent employment so they know you'll be able to pay the rent.

Usually they'd need one off your previous landlord saying that you didn't wreck the joint and got your deposit returned, but if you've lived with your parents then just a letter confirming you've lived there for however long I suppose (and that you always tidy your room and do your bit with the dishes :razz:)
  • Options
    Just a letter confirming that you do work there [work] or they do know you [parents] and something to say that you are reliable and not going to run off without paying your rent.

It doesn't have to be long, I usually just accpet a letter/email from the employer stating how long the person has worked for them with a line about them being reliable.