Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Looking Older

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I don't know if you will be able to help but I'm 25 and I get told I look like I'm 20 never get ID'd though. Even at work people don't think I'm the age I am and I don't consider myself to be immature, how can I look older?
I'm strange shaped, short, broad and narrow feet so limited what I can wear!
Any advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    get a blue rinse :thumb:
    Ahh I have the same problem but get told I look 16/17 when I am 20. Your situation doesn't sound so bad. 25 and looking 20? I'd say that's a good thing!
    Try being 19, and having people think that you are doing your GCSE's...I even get ID-ed buying fags for my boss...aaaargh!! LOL
    It's hard to tell without knowing what you look/dress like at the moment. One of my friends is really into her fashion, and she's started going out in dresses (kinda formal, knee length ones) rather than mini-skirts and short shorts (which I miss) and it definitely makes her look more sophisticated and older, not that she looked really young before or anything. Another mate who does look young recently decided to ban herself wearing pink because she used to wear it all the time and thought that people didn't take her seriously, but I suppose you know that dressing like a powerpuff girl would make you look younger. Darker colours, less skin on show, shorter hair, a proper hair style, and decent make up seem to be the main things. God, I spend too much time hanging around girls. I'm going to go and drink some beer, watch football and fart a bit for a while now.
    capo2 wrote: »
    Try being 19, and having people think that you are doing your GCSE's...

Try being 26 and having people think you're doing your GCSEs! :lol:

I gave up trying to look older a good while ago, though. Now I can still wear all those things you can't really get away with past 20, even though I passed 20 a good few years ago. It's like extending my youth, I guess. You can try to change it, rather than embrace it, but this way is loads easier.
    lol i went into my sisters school the other day to pick up her uniform and the idiot matron thought i was going into year 7!!!!! and im 21, i told her i left school 4 years ago!

Anyways, it could be the style of clothes you wear, maybe try going shopping with a friend and going for a more sophisticated look. I know thats the promlem when people think im a kid.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who looks younger than I am!
    Think is I think I have a mature outlook etc and I'm not stupid with money or drink or anything like that, my hair is done by my mate whos won prizes - hes going to London next month after getting through the scottish heat so my hair isn't a problem really, I think cos I'm only 5" it doesn't help and have big bust but a tummy too doesn't help!
    I've just been shopping and spent about £60 on makeup I didn't need to help make me look olfer when I'm out tonight, wish me luck!! I can't do eyeliner!
    To be honest I wouldn't worry about it. I'm 25 and just over 5 foot tall, people tend to think I am younger than I am. It used to bother me but now I like it. I am pleased when I get asked for ID..looking youthful is a good thing, would you rather have wrinkles and white hair?
    I'm almost 24 and it's a strange day if I don't get asked for ID.

I don't actually have any other than my passport (which I never take out) but I usually just blag it or knock the bouncer the fuck out if he's being arsey about it.*

I've even got a bit of grey hair ffs, do they really think I'm 17?

*lie
    Oh lord, I'm 21 and get id'd everywhere :( I have to carry my passport. then when I get it they're like "YOU ARE NOT 21 :O:O" to which I reply "er, yes i am, mate" and they are like "You're so not!"

Head doing to the bone but I dont mind it so much.
    Wish I had this problem :grump:
    this is why i always feel intimidated going into bars or clubs..sometimes the bouncers are so rude..they're on a fucking power trip i swear when they watch to see what you're gonna do and as you walk past them they stick out their arm in the way..fucking..door men.

oh and when they ask your age and then ask..'are you sure?' wtf is the point in that. yes im sure retard. of course oh and last night going into a club..

me: so uhh you go this way?
    him: yes and you have to stroke his cock on the way down *pointing to another bouncer*

seriously how scummy can you get
    wow that's gross.
    anyway...you see this is what the government's stupid fucking laws do.. >_<

it's only going to get worse i can assure you
    You do get cool bouncers here and there, but most of them do go on power trips constantly. Most of them are dicks about it, especially when you're out in a group and they let everyone in except one person just because they can.

I joke about knocking them out, but I was really pissed one night like four years ago and making shapes on the dancefloor, ended up getting pushed into a bouncer standing at the side. I then got took into a room and I remember them actually pushing about really roughly and shouting not to ever come in here and do that again. I'm a skinny lad and I was really, really sore and bruised the next day. Next time I was in the club the bouncer just winked at me, fucking arsehole.
    Bouncers are all too often the type of wankers who start trouble when they're out normally. With a few exceptions, almost every bouncer I've seen dealing with an abusive person has tried to provoke that person into attacking them at least once in their job, so they can get into a fight without losing their licence. Imagine if someone spotted a police officer doing this, or a security guard in a supermarket. They'd lose their job. Yet bouncers are allowed to get away with it and keep their licence.

When I used to work in a bar, we had one night where we didn't have bouncers on the door but they were on a night out in the bar, and a huge fight broke out. Turns out they were right at the centre of it throwing punches in all directions.
    I was out with mates from college (they're 18, 19 and 19) and I'm 21... I was the only person to be asked for I.D. :|

I said 'that's strange, it's my birthday next week' and he looked at me angrily and said 'next WEEK?' so I replied, 'yes... next week, I'll be 21'. He looked soo embarrassed hahahaha.
    i normally get on quite well with bouncers, they tend to be quite sweet rond our way.

Then again they must like me because I've been ID'd once in the last two years and that was in a newsagents buying a bottle of wine :banghead: so i guess i look older than I am :cool:
    One of the girls I'm dating is 24 and looks soooo young (not what I usually go for, tbh). It's quite funny when she gets ID'd to be honest as it's been a long while since I last got asked. Makes me chuckle, anyway! ;)
    Rachael wrote: »
    this is why i always feel intimidated going into bars or clubs..

Same here. My manager thought it was my 20th birthday last month, when in actual fact it was my 24th. I've got my own home and people always ask if my parents are in, to which I reply "I can give them a call and check, but it's a heck of a walk!"

I don't even attempt to buy alcohol in supermarkets anymore, I leave that to my boyfriend. I just can't be bothered with it all.

Ihave to admit though that I haven't been asked for ID when buying alcohol in a pub / bar for a couple of years now, but I do limit how often I go to the bar because I'm paranoid!
    Haircut does A LOT!
    As a kid I used to be quite tall and skinny compared to others my age, so people would always assume that I was a fair few years older than I was. From starting going out at the age of 16 I never had problems getting in anywhere either.
    After I got my fringe cut around easter, I suddenly find myself getting ID'ed, it's ridiculous. At the age of 16 I got in to over 21s, at the age of 18 I got in to over 23s, now at the age of 21 I get ID'ed for places where you have to be 18.
    i have a fringe... i defo think it makes me look younger...but i like it and don't want to get rid of it simply because of the risk of getting ID'd. !!
    Wish I had this problem :grump:

:yes:

Seriously, if this is a real issue for you then be pleased becuase in a few years time you will be praying for the day someone think that you are younger than you actually are...
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Same here. My manager thought it was my 20th birthday last month, when in actual fact it was my 24th. I've got my own home and people always ask if my parents are in, to which I reply "I can give them a call and check, but it's a heck of a walk!"

I don't even attempt to buy alcohol in supermarkets anymore, I leave that to my boyfriend. I just can't be bothered with it all.

Ihave to admit though that I haven't been asked for ID when buying alcohol in a pub / bar for a couple of years now, but I do limit how often I go to the bar because I'm paranoid!

ah yeah you do sound like, i just avoid it cuz it makes me feel shitty
    :yes:

Seriously, if this is a real issue for you then be pleased becuase in a few years time you will be praying for the day someone think that you are younger than you actually are...

Why though really? Okay, someone of the opposite sex might find you attractive at an older age (and then freak out when they find out how old you actually are). But other than that, I can't think of a situation where looking young is especially positive for anything other than pretty superficial reasons. It leads to people being less likely to take you seriously a lot of the time imo.
    I think your hair cut/style can have a direct impact on the age you appear to others.
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    After I got my fringe cut around easter, I suddenly find myself getting ID'ed, it's ridiculous. At the age of 16 I got in to over 21s, at the age of 18 I got in to over 23s, now at the age of 21 I get ID'ed for places where you have to be 18.

That's so true! I look at least 5 years younger with a fringe. I really want one though :(

Might do it anyway and then laugh when people think my blokie is a cradlesnatcher!
    kaffrin wrote: »
    That's so true! I look at least 5 years younger with a fringe. I really want one though :(

Might do it anyway and then laugh when people think my blokie is a cradlesnatcher!

i went to a club wearing pig tails with this guy who was holding my hand and someone shouted 'paedo' at him :blush:
    Why though really? Okay, someone of the opposite sex might find you attractive at an older age (and then freak out when they find out how old you actually are). But other than that, I can't think of a situation where looking young is especially positive for anything other than pretty superficial reasons. It leads to people being less likely to take you seriously a lot of the time imo.

Being reminded of your own mortality is pretty depressing TBH ;)
    i'm 19 in 2 weeks and get told that i look about 15, but then looks wise i haven't changed since i was about 12 i just look the same.
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Try being 26 and having people think you're doing your GCSEs! :lol: /QUOTE]

Hahahaha, okay, you win! :lol: