Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mascara.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just read in some magazine (think it was Vogue) that fair-skinned people shouldn't wear black mascara as it makes them look like transvestites. I always wear it, but I'm quite fair (blue eyes, light brown/blonde/reddish hair n freckles)

What say you lot on the matter?

Comments

• Options
    I say, wear what you like. Brown mascara would probably be more subtle, but some people just don't want subtle!
  • Options
    pah, I'm pale as you like and I wear black mascara AND black eyeliner. Ilora's right, wear what you want, not what the beauty magazines say you should!
  • Options
    does anyone really go up to pale people and examine their eyelashes to see if they're black or brown? It's impossible to tell.
  • Options
    who cares what vogue says..personally i wear clear cuz my eye lashes are dark enough.
  • Options
    I wear black mascara and im proud to look like a tranny
  • Options
    I'm pale and wear black mascara and it makes my lashes stand out more than brown did and it doesn't make me look like a transvestite.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that wears brown then :p

Not becaues I want to avoid looking like a tranny, I wouldn't mind, I've just always worn brown and never even thought of trying black before.
  • Options
    I have given up on mascara- it makes my eys itch and makes a mess on my pillows.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I have given up on mascara- it makes my eys itch and makes a mess on my pillows.

Rule number 1 - Remove all make-up before going to sleep... :p
  • Options
    or use coloured pillows :p
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    Rule number 1 - Remove all make-up before going to sleep... :p

meh, you're only going to put it back on again in the morning though :p
  • Options
    i just let mine wear off naturally.
    Works a treat
  • Options
    or use coloured pillows :p

Or theres always 4 sides to a pillow if your having guests ;)
  • Options
    Pshaw. My eyes look bald if I DON'T wear it. :grump:
  • Options
    I don't have many eyelashes. My mate and I had fits of giggles over that in a shopping centre this week. true story
  • Options
    Well they've got the surgery now where they sew in scalp hair to your eyelashes, but it continues to grow so you have to trim them else you look like snuffalopogous.
  • Options
    I am as pale as a ghost with naturally light hair but strangely enough I have black eye lashes and black eye brows. I dye my hair very dark brown so what does miss magazine suggest I do?

I never ever read magazines for style tips I think they are a load of old bollocks.

I don't care if I look like a tranny haha. Which I probably do :(
  • Options
    i look like i'm 12 without mascara...crazy
  • Options
    Well they've got the surgery now where they sew in scalp hair to your eyelashes, but it continues to grow so you have to trim them else you look like snuffalopogous.

:crazyeyes I really hope this isn't true! I'm getting the freakiest images ever in my head now...plaited eyelashes?!
  • Options
    Did anyone else wear electric blue mascara in the 90's?

Certainly got me noticed, not sure I'd get away with it now though!
  • Options
    I have black eyelashes anyway so it never occurred to me to wear anything other than black. Although like Asta, I did regrettably stray into the world of electric blue back when I first experimented with make-up.
  • Options
    I had green :o
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    :crazyeyes I really hope this isn't true! I'm getting the freakiest images ever in my head now...plaited eyelashes?!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15412176/?GT1=8618
    :yum:
  • Options
    Oooooh.
    I've never had brown. I'm tempted to try it now. I really want to get my eyelashes tinted, also my eyebrows, they are crap too light and a rubbish shape due to over-enthused tweezing when I was in my early teens :P

For those of you who don't possess bottom lashes (mine are so fair you can't really see them) Borgeois make a mascara called Baby Cils that fits on the end of that Volumising mascara they do which has a weeny brush so you can get all your bottom lashes and the ones in the corner, (also its a good mini mascara 2 take out and about with you if your inclined to take make up everywhere) it's ace but expensive, and I dropped mine in a toilet (dont ask) and can't afford to buy a new one:crying:
  • Options
    I wear black eyeliner and mascara, have done for years. And I'm pale with blonde hair.
  • Options
    I wear black mascara, I'm fair skinned with green eyes. I just look totally different without mascara. It's my daily must-wear item. I think everyone looks great in black mascara--day or night. :flirt:
  • Options
    I'm fair skinned with hazel eyes and blonde hair (not natural though!) I tend to wear brown mascara during the day and black mascara at night for more of an oomph.