Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Blocked Ear

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
WTF is wrong with me?

I cant here out my right ear at all, its just bloked, I have tried cleaning them and all sorts, Ive used special ear drops all to no avail.

Thing is other day at work (I work on the phone all day) my ear started hurting real bad, i got really sharp pains shooting thru my ear.

My ears are still playing up now, last night i used alchol to numb the pain, tonight though I thought I would stick it out.

Any ideas about how to unblock ears ?? I cant get to the Dr's til tomorrow after work.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Calvin wrote: »
    WTF is wrong with me?

I cant here out my right ear at all, its just bloked, I have tried cleaning them and all sorts, Ive used special ear drops all to no avail.

Thing is other day at work (I work on the phone all day) my ear started hurting real bad, i got really sharp pains shooting thru my ear.

My ears are still playing up now, last night i used alchol to numb the pain, tonight though I thought I would stick it out.

Any ideas about how to unblock ears ?? I cant get to the Dr's til tomorrow after work.

Are you on the phone pretty much all day everyday mate?
    Olive oil is meant to help I think?
    DC85 wrote: »
    Are you on the phone pretty much all day everyday mate?

Yeah, it was fine when i was working in the pub all weekend, however on Monday back in the call centre, my ear started playing up and pains kept shooting thru my ear and they hurt like hell.

Thing is though I cant really take a sickie as I have already had a warning about taking sickies.

Really not looking forward to work tomorrow, listening to customers moan is the last thing my ear needs :(
    Yeah, it was fine when i was working in the pub all weekend, however on Monday back in the call centre, my ear started playing up and pains kept shooting thru my ear and they hurt like hell.

Thing is though I cant really take a sickie as I have already had a warning about taking sickies.

Really not looking forward to work tomorrow, listening to customers moan is the last thing my ear needs :(

Is there no way u can go the doctors first thing?
    I don't thing more phone action is gonna help mate, and you don't wanna risk your hearing for anyone obv.
    DC85 wrote: »
    Is there no way u can go the doctors first thing?

Nah, i start work @ 8am. First Dr's appointment I could get was at 5pm.
    could be an ear infection cal.
    Nah, i start work @ 8am. First Dr's appointment I could get was at 5pm.

Can you not go in , tell them your ears are killing but you didnt wanna stay off and ask if you could do something else (ok might be slightly tricky in a call centre lol). Then you can't get in trouble for not being in and I doubt they take the risk of damaging your ears, by making you use the phones ?
    Sofie wrote: »
    Olive oil is meant to help I think?

Yeah, though my mate once used Crisp 'n' Dry :lol:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I do find my right ear blocks sometimes, paticularly after a lot of hours on the phone. It does tend to clear up after a while but it tends to come back. Swapping ears does help sometimes and tends to stop it happening. Otherwise see if you can do some non-phone duties tommorow until you can see the doc?
    Been there, done that. My ears have got blocked about once a year for the past 3 years. Right pain in the ass!

Anyway, put some olive oil in your ear (some docs have told me to warm the oil up first, but it doesnt really matter). Then lie on your side if you can (so when you're in bed or watching TV or something). Its not immediate though (you usually have to use it a few times) and the doc will probably book you in to get your ear syringed (which sucks, so try the oil first). When I had my ear syringed, I had to put oil in my ear for a few days beforehand to soften the wax. But the last doc said if I can feel my ear getting blocked up, do the oil trick and this will prevent it from getting completely blocked.

Good luck anyway!

Surely if you're this bad, then they could make an exception? Or are they really that tight?

I've got the same problem as well. Didn't realise anything was really wrong until I put the phone to my left ear and couldn't hear that much.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Yeah, though my mate once used Crisp 'n' Dry :lol:

The doctor told me to put oil in my ears for 2 weeks. He did say people think it needs to be almond oil etc, however any old household oil will do. I even said crisp n' dry, and he just smiled and said if thats all you have :D

Thanks peeps

:thumb: