Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

birthday meal ideas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone, I'll be hosting my birthday/going away party in a couple of weeks and I want to have something different food-wise. I think there will be around 20-25 people over.

Can anyone suggest any ideas? What have people served in the past, or what birthday party food do you remember to be especially good (meat included, I am no vegeterian)? All ideas are helpful!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You could do something like tacos/burritos and let everyone make their own. then you could have a whole Mexican them with margheritas etc
    Or have a bbq (if the weather is nice)...i use this recipe and its pretty quick to make, then add in some hot dogs/sausages
    You could do a "one dish party" where everyone brings something with them.

Btw, i'm trying to think of things with minimum work for you incase you hadn't noticed :p

Or if you want to actually do some work then make a roast...people always appreciate a roast!
    Amira wrote: »
    You could do something like tacos/burritos and let everyone make their own. then you could have a whole Mexican them with margheritas etc

Oh that's a good idea..especially themed with margheritas! you could have all sorts then like chilli, nachos, fajitas, chicken, rice, salad, guacamole, burritos, salsa, sour cream mmmm
    damn it i'm hungry now!!
    I've been munching on Doritos and salsa dip and then I clicked this! TACOS ASAP PLZ.
    lipsy wrote: »
    you could have all sorts then like chilli, nachos, fajitas, chicken, rice, salad, guacamole, burritos, salsa, sour cream mmmm

And refried beans! And veggies too

But yeah great idea - nice and informal too
    Yeah, Mexican is a good idea, and it's yum. Thing is, I'd like to try something different since last weekend they had that for a friend's party, and many of the people that were there will also be at mine. So, I'd come across as kinda unoriginal if I had Mexican again. Any other ideas?
    What kind of thing are you going for? Do you want it formal or informal? Sit down or casual picky?
    Finger foods, then you can do a mix of english, indian, chinese, mexican etc...
    ok then, you could do an arabian themed night...it wont be as simple but i can give you a few good recipes which can be prepared in advance.

You could buy stuff like hummos, pitta bread and arabic yoghurt (made with greek yoghurt and then i will tell you what to do with it) then make some arabic salads like tabouleh or fatoush (i can provide recipes for those), which can be made the morning of the party.

Then you can make kebabs, meat/chicken in yoghurt kebabs and the long kebabs (kobideh...which is iranian but better than the labanese counterpart...and easier to make) both of which can be made the day before, then bbq them that night. Then you can make pitta bread sandwiches (adding yoghurt and some salad) with them or eat it with rice or with bread and yoghurt.
    How about Asia? They have the best food anyway like chinese dishes, noodles, rice, indian and thai curries, naan breads and then finger foods like onion bhajis and popadoms, prawn crackers, spring rolls.. *drool*

Of ya could go italian... like pizzas, pasta in tomato based sauce, meatballs, garlic/cheese/tomato breads, salads like cesar or tuna nicoise and then desert could be anything like ice cream, tiramisu.
    i was going to suggest asian...but there's too many ingredients and stuff.

But italian sounds good, you could do a pick your own pasta thing...have precooked pasta, chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, a variety of meats and sauces then mix it all up in a frying pan.

And have pizza bases with tomato sauce and mozzerella already prepared then people can put on whatever else they want.
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll go italian, make pasta with different sauces and garlic bread, yum! I had forgotten about garlic bread...

Arabic sounds delicious Amira, but I'm afraid I'm far too inexperienced a cook to try those recipes, italian is more familiar to me. Maybe some other time you can teach me! :razz: