Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

High mileage car maintence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This probably isn't going to make much sense, but I'll try my best ;)

I'm close to 100k and with that will probably need some upkeep. The main thing I"m looking for, is I would like the car to run as long as possible but I don't want to overspend on it. It runs greatly, I"ve done regular maintence since I've had it, and doesn't really have any running problems. However, it lacks certian saftey and comfort features and is quite aesthetically unpleasing (to others, to me its beautiful) So it pretty much doubles in price when I have a full tank of gas. So considering that, I know when it will be time to say good bye, as much as I love her I'd probably kick it the next time something breaks, but I want to prevent it from breaking for the longest possible time at the cheapest cost (lost yet?)

I was out getting my oil changed today and they told me (considering the above) I'd be good with new serpentine belts and my timing belt and water pump.

They told me that the serpentine belts looked quite worn and starting to crack, and those are dirt cheap so thats all good to do, but they didn't say my timing belt was in bad shape, only that it should/usually gets replaced at 100. And the water pump since they said they'd have to take that out to get the belt anyways?

I've heard horror stories about timing belts breaking, but if its not even looking bad, is there any need to replace it? The materials for those is over 200 and they quoted me at just under 4 hours (yeah right :rolleyes: )for the labor which would be over 300, so I'm sure you can see why I'd like to avoid it if possible ;)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aren't you in America - ain't everything really far apart?

In the UK 100,000 Miles would probably be a lot more start & stop miles, road humps, etc - rather then long distance drives.
    I live close to a city, theres nothing but stop... and occasionally a go, but sometimes thats hoping for too much :p Havn't driven a long distance non stop in quite a while, flying is cheaper!
    After 100,000 miles, the cost of maintenance gets higher, but can be cheaper than buying a new car.

Things you'd expect to need replacing would include the timing belt and probably the brake shoes. Although the timing belt might be OK, if it goes then it can completely lunch your engine, and it's cheaper to get it replaced. Expect to pay about £150 (about $300 I think). Your water pump should be OK unless its knackered, but if they can do it cheaply when they're in the car anyway, then go for it.

Nothing wrong with high-mileage cars, my little Fiesta has 108,000 and climbing.
    If you're gonna junk the car anyway soon it's probably not worth getting a new belt. But if it does go it would most likely be a catastrophic failure.
    dont let your timing belt go (am talking from experience)

I fucking hate cars atm, after the current round of work I will have spent about 1700 quid on mine this year, and its only 4 years old.. although this last episode involved it being stolen :mad: