Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Blocked bath

I have a bath that has been slow in releasing water in the last week and is getting progressively worse. Does anyone know where I can buy a sink plunger from? I tried Argos but unsuccessful. Many thanks. Also, any detergent substances that is good at erroding/clearing a blocked pipe?

If all fails, I'll phone Mario Brothers :-)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i was an apprentice plumber for a bit, and taking a ubend off is about as simple as it gets .. just pry the bath cover off and unscrew it with your hand and unblock it!

or get charged a fortune by someone else to do it :P
  • Options
    wilkinsons do plungers I think. Big tesco will do them I expect. You can buy drain unblocker stuff in most supermarkets. Read the label though, some of them are designed for standing water like a toilet bowl, others are for baths sinks or whatever.

EDIT: or just do what z says. It's probably just got loads of hair gacking it up.
  • Options
    Many thanks Mr Z and Katralla! Yes, the side of my bath looks like it can detatch itself, so I'll persue that first then check out the big shops tomorrow. We do have a big Tesco and Wilkinsons in Stafford. I didn't realise that Wilkinsons was a chain.
  • Options
    Get some Mr Muscle sink and plug hole unblocker, its the fucking business at dealing with problems like that.

Just pour the bottle down, leave it for a couple of hours and rise with warm water, Bingo! there water will be running free.
  • Options
    I've just ublocked my bath, but i never use a plunger or mr muscle or whatever because it's always my hair thats causing the problem, wrapped all around the plug hole. So i get one of those bendy wire brushes and pull it all up with that, so sick.
  • Options
    Have you checked to see if it's not just lots of hair?

Our bath gets like that a LOT and it's usually because my sisters can't be bothered to pull their hair out of the plughole (it's always REALLY long hair, so it's not mine!) and it gets clogged up and I always have to be the one that pulls it out :grump:.
  • Options
    Pour aload of Bicarbinate of soda down the plug then pour white Vineger on top (cup of each) and leave for a couple of minutes, wash it down with boiling water after
  • Options
    Mr Muscle disolves all the hair (and pubes :D )

Mr_Muscle_Sink_Plughole_Unblocker_500ml.jpg

PS: I dont work for Mr Muscle ;)
  • Options
    My temporary fix!

I tried taking the side off my bath. In contrary to what I originally thought, the panel is pretty secured. I even tried lifting the carpet, but no, looks like it is all sealed with plastering. 'Ok' I thought - Let's get a straw and try blowing it directly into the offending plug hole. For hygeine reasons, I taped 3 straws together to make it into a long straw, then I began blowing it into the hole. Lo and behold, it seemed to have cleared itself. To finish off for now, I poured in some Ajax (cleaning type stuff) followed by a kettle of boiling water. Tomorrow, I'll look for some proper drain unblocker.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    My temporary fix!

I tried taking the side off my bath. In contrary to what I originally thought, the panel is pretty secured. I even tried lifting the carpet, but no, looks like it is all sealed with plastering. 'Ok' I thought - Let's get a straw and try blowing it directly into the offending plug hole. For hygeine reasons, I taped 3 straws together to make it into a long straw, then I began blowing it into the hole. Lo and behold, it seemed to have cleared itself. To finish off for now, I poured in some Ajax (cleaning type stuff) followed by a kettle of boiling water. Tomorrow, I'll look for some proper drain unblocker.
    If there is any electrics under the bath then the panel has to be secured so that could be your problem if you have a shower pump or something under there.

Mr muscle is good.

Whatever you do don't get dynarod in to clear drains.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Asta :-)

I went for 'Buster Bathroom Drain Clear' in the end. 300ml bottles for £2.99 from Tesco. Bought two, so I got one spare. Luckily, I haven't heard of Dynarod before but I'll remember not to use it if I see it in future.