Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

laptops

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
looking to get a new lappy

dont really wanna pay over £500

I use it for:

internet
music
storing pics
the ocassion game

anyone got any recommendations?
or could anyone point me in the right direction as far as RAM and Graphics cards go?

Gracias x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dell :)
    Do you have any idea at all what size hard drive you want?
    I'm getting this one. As reccommended by my-boyfriend-the-computer-geek. So it must be good.
    fuji lappys = very good
    Franki wrote: »
    I'm getting this one. As reccommended by my-boyfriend-the-computer-geek. So it must be good.

HP nice, athlon not so anymore :(.

this is my personal pick, it's as fast as the HP, same amount of memory, same hdd. £100 cheaper, It doesn't have a dedicated graphics card. but if you're not a gamer that *really* doesn't matter.

£400 for a c2d laptop with that memory/hdd space is very decent :). In my experience Acer's build quality is very high.

Saying that, the HP is nice too if you can afford it. Just depends on your needs etc.

edit: the intergrated graphics in that lappy are more than enough to play 'the occasional game'. My lappy with intergrated gfx runs GTA san andreas, and lots and lots of other games.
    No one has backed up Dell!
    CoolMe wrote: »

Probably because there are better (and other) places to buy laptops?
    be very careful!!!

:yes: My dad has a HP laptop and at one point, it was being stupidly slow and we had some other problems with it. He tried something called Computer Mechanic, which didn't work. The only thing that worked was replacing the hard drive.

Well maybe you'd like to actually suggest a model that's better than the ones people have posted?
    That's because Dell are crap ;).

noog - that Acer was totally in my top 3....the one I posted is my number 1 atm, my number 2 is this one.

xsazx and Sofie - Rich has had his computer for quite a while, his is a very big, very expensive HP thing which I would never in my wildest dreams be able to afford, and he's had no problems with it. If I have problems with mine, I'll just get him to sort them out, he's good like that ;d.
    i have a sony vao..think its good
    Well maybe you'd like to actually suggest a model that's better than the ones people have posted?

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/notebooks_good?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Maybe it's because dell are better then you:)
    Rachael wrote: »
    i have a sony vao..think its good
    What spec is youts/how much was it? I really want one of those, but I don't think I'd be able to afford one which had anywhere near the hard drive space or memory that I need :(.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Franki wrote: »
    That's because Dell are crap ;).

I like my dell and i've had it 2 years with no problems.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Not that it will help the OP at all, but the one thing I've decided is that if I ever get a laptop it will be mac.
    Littleali wrote: »

this is the one i have, so far so good..havent had it very long bit it looks rather snazzy and is a sanctuary from this shitty pc im on now.
    thanks rach :)

may go and have a gander at it in the flesh x
    Acer :thumb:

Im lookin for one for this christmas if i can convince the parents and im going for an acer one.

Dell are expensive.

HP.. err im not so sure, i worked at a IT company for two weeks on work experience and heard a few horror stories about them but that doesnt mean you will.

Its up to you but my reccomendation is Acer

EDIT:

oh and just reading up, Sony Vaio are also pretty ace. They look cool too :)
    Matteh wrote: »
    oh and just reading up, Sony Vaio are also pretty ace. They look cool too :)

They look the shizzle but are dam expensive!
    thanks rach :)

may go and have a gander at it in the flesh x

£100 extra for an identical spec laptop sony :P.

points to note:
    only supports sony memorystick, won't read other memory cards without an adaptor/cable
    White keyboard gets *filthy* if you use the laptop alot.
    Usually with sony, if a part like the DVD-RW drive breaks, the hardware is often designed so that it can't be replaced with off the shelf parts.

Fuck sony.

If you wan't to buy for the brand name, buy an apple. :-P
    If you're going to buy a laptop, ask if it's possible to play around on it for a bit to see what it's like.
    noog wrote: »
    If you wan't to buy for the brand name, buy an apple. :-P

I would agree but they are dam expensive too! :naughty:
    noog wrote: »
    only supports sony memorystick, won't read other memory cards without an adaptor/cable
    White keyboard gets *filthy* if you use the laptop alot.
    Usually with sony, if a part like the DVD-RW drive breaks, the hardware is often designed so that it can't be replaced with off the shelf parts.

eeek, i may jib that off then lol
    It's just another way they get you to buy their products :)
    I think Sony Vaio's are pretty nice, but you CAN get the same specs a lot cheaper if you buy a different make.

I do NOT recomment Advent AT ALL. Nooo way. My ex had one that was really dodgy, and then I had one and it broke after like 2 days..I took it back and now I have a Packard Bell. It's a gig ram, 80gb hdd 1.7 duo...plus all the usuals..and was just over £400. It's a nice laptop and hasn't given me ANY problems at all. =] Definitely recommended.
    ^_^ wrote: »
    I do NOT recomment Advent AT ALL. Nooo way. My ex had one that was really dodgy,

Yeah one of my clients had an advent, the screen hinges broke off so the screen coulden't stay upright on it's own, the thing kept shutting down. build quality is generally crap with those laptops
    cheers noog, think i'll look into gettting that Acer one

thanks for the advice, much appreciated x

one more thing....

i'm looking to go wireless....my laptop will be wireless but my pc aint, will a wireless usb dongle be as good as a card?x

Prolly coz Dell are made by Dellends. :p

I have a Compaq Presario C300, I really like it but it has a shit gfx card and cannot play the games I want. I picked it up from PC World for 399 (100 knocked off) about November last year, it's pretty good though.

I reckon an Acer, Fujitsu, or an HP, my ol man and mate has an Acer and their sterdy ol things, you can tell it's quality just by touching it, I think it's kinda like the Golf of laptops lol. I think Fujitsu's are overlooked, their also pretty sterdy.

This Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V3515 is pretty nice tbh, it's £344 (inc VAT) and was £499.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/129464/rb/0

* Processor: Intel Core Duo T2080 1.73GHz
    * RAM: 1024MB DDR2-533 (2GB Max)
    * Hard Drive: 120GB Serial ATA 5400rpm
    * Screen: 15.4" WXGA Widescreen TFT
    * Optical Drive: DVD±RW Super Multi Double Layer
    * Wireless LAN: 802.11b/g
    * Weight Starting at 2.7 kg
    * Warranty: 1 Year
    * Operating System: Vista Home Premium

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/store/5/cat/Laptops

ETA: Ali, a USB dongle will be fine
    Eww, Acer. Eww.

Personally i like Dell and Toshiba. My Dad's work laptop is a Toshiba, and its as tough as nails. He's tossed it about a fair bit, too, and its never had any trouble.
    i'm looking to go wireless....my laptop will be wireless but my pc aint, will a wireless usb dongle be as good as a card?x

Don't bother with wireless on the main PC, Buy a router (cable or dsl, depending on which you have). set it up close to your PC, connect the router to the PC with a cable, and have the laptop connecting wirelessly.

image007.jpg

But in answer to your question, yeah a usb dongle will be just as good as a card. But if you have it setup as above ^ then you don't need to buy either