Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Maintenance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,,
Basically, im off to uni in 2 weeks..at the moment my Dads maintenence goes into my mums bank account.

Now, I want to ask my Dad for it to be changed to go into my account as im moving away etc, but I know without the money my mum will really struggle, when I mentioned "ooo I wonder if Dad will change the account details over" she said like "shuuush dont remind him lol" so i'm like hmm...by rights it's my money??

So now i'm stuck, I feel awful taking it off my mum, but it's meant for me?
I dunno what to dooo?=( xx

Comments

• Options
    I'm assuming your parents are divorced? If that's the case, I'm sure your Dad's enforced maintenance payments will stop once you turn 18. My mum and dad divorced and that was the case with us. And if you're going to uni I'd assume you're close to that age?

I'm not sure that the maintenance money is for you per se, but more for your mum to provide shelter and food for you. I would speak to your mum and dad and find out what the deal is with the payments stopping etc, and if your mum would consider going halfs with you, with you both getting share. That way you'd both be getting some cash, but your mum wouldn't be totally stuck. But then, instead, you could just get a job?
  • Options
    When you move out to uni will you expect support from your mum still, like a room to sleep in in the hols, and a person to talk to at the end of the phone? If so, don't try to take the maintenance money. Also, the expense of raising you will not stop the minute you move out.
  • Options
    If it's child benefit money you are on about then it does stop when you are 18 :crying: I had my last one in like June or something.
  • Options
    child benefit is paid by the government, whereas maintenance is paid by a parent to the parent with residency.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    child benefit is paid by the government, whereas maintenance is paid by a parent to the parent with residency.

Ah right, two totally different things then. Thanks for letting me know :)
  • Options
    Enforced child maintenance usually stops at the age of 18, when a child becomes an adult, but separate arrangements are sometimes made because of the new uni rules on funding.

The money is for your upkeep, and not just for you, as your upkeep includes such things as the upkeep of the family home. That said, the money should be getting spent mostly on you, rather than your mother, and if she is on a low income she should get a job (as should you).
  • Options
    You could always ask your father for an allowance, regardless of whether he continues or ceases to pay maintenance to your mother.
  • Options
    Thanks..
    All sorted now, was just abit worried about asking..hate asking for money and things argh!
    And just for the record, my mum works full time, as do I.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    If it's child benefit money you are on about then it does stop when you are 18 :crying: I had my last one in like June or something.

Sorry to go off the subject, but Squeal, why did it stop in June? Child Benefit can be paid to a maximum age of 20 if a young person is in full time further education. If you left college/sixth form in June of this year your parent can continue to claim child benefit until 04/09/07 unless you start working 24 hours per week or more. If you then lost your job or quit, the benefit could be reinstated until 04/09/07.
  • Options
    Child benefit is not paid to the parents of children in higher education, though, only to those who are on an approved education course or studying for a recognised further education qualification (e.g. A'Levels).

It usually stops when the further education stops, which for college students can be June or July.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Child benefit is not paid to the parents of children in higher education, though, only to those who are on an approved education course or studying for a recognised further education qualification (e.g. A'Levels).

It usually stops when the further education stops, which for college students can be June or July.

That isn't true. If a young person finishes their approved training course or further education course in June or July then child benefit is paid until the next fixed exclusion date following their leaving date, which this year would be 4th September. That is unless the young person starts working 24 hours a week or more or reaches the age of 20 between leaving FTE and 4th September.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    That isn't true. If a young person finishes their approved training course or further education course in June or July then child benefit is paid until the next fixed exclusion date following their leaving date, which this year would be 4th September. That is unless the young person starts working 24 hours a week or more or reaches the age of 20 between leaving FTE and 4th September.
    :thumb:
    Have to agree as i had my sons cb stopped this week because i failed to let them know my 18 yr old son was returning to full time education a quick phone call was all it took i was also told to ring on his 19th birthday and confirm he was still in full time education so payments would keep running hope that helps:yippe:
  • Options
    :thumb:
    Have to agree as i had my sons cb stopped this week because i failed to let them know my 18 yr old son was returning to full time education a quick phone call was all it took i was also told to ring on his 19th birthday and confirm he was still in full time education so payments would keep running hope that helps:yippe:

Hope you found the person you spoke with polite and friendly! In case it isn't obvious, I'm a Child Benefit Officer. Nice to get some positive feedback. :yippe:
  • Options
    Hope you found the person you spoke with polite and friendly! In case it isn't obvious, I'm a Child Benefit Officer. Nice to get some positive feedback. :yippe:
    we had problems with ours, and the women was sooooooo helpfull :D

brilliant tbh concidering its money for nothing which everyone gets :p
  • Options
    Isn't there an income cut off though?
  • Options

the person i spoke to was great gave great advice and thanked me for calling makes a change from tax credit lol:p
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Isn't there an income cut off though?

Not for Child Benefit, no. It's available to everybody, from the prime minister right down to ordinary folk.
  • Options
    well i am 95% sure he doesnt claim it but then who knows :P
  • Options
    well i am 95% sure he doesnt claim it but then who knows :P

He probably will claim it, because when you claim child benefit your child is allocated a national insurance number. If you don't claim it and they aren't allocated one they won't be sent one when they're nearly 16 and then they'll have to go to the hassle of appointments with DWP etc to be allocated one.
  • Options

Aye, you're quite right, oops. Serves me right for typing off memory rather than reading the CPAG book.

It's a good job you're not a tax credit officer, because I'd have to brain you if you were.

Still, HMRC's fuck ups pay my wages :yippe:
  • Options
    It's a good job you're not a tax credit officer, because I'd have to brain you if you were.

Still, HMRC's fuck ups pay my wages :yippe:

:nervous:
    I deal with a lot of tax credits and to be fair I've seen some pretty impressive cock ups. Some of them are down to the claimant not even knowing what they are asking about which suggests to me that the system is far too complicated for the average person.

I had some lady shouting and ranting about her "family credit" and how it hadn't been paid. I'm sat there looking at her tax credit record and it wasn't until she went "No, no the one that everyone gets every week" that I realised she meant child benefit and I had wasted 20 mins barking up the wrong tree. Also people have a habit of giving their net pay rather than gross pay for their tax credit renewals & changes of circumstance and then going mad when they end up being overpaid. I honestly think the old Family Credit / WFTC system should be brought back in where less responsibility is given to the claimant for providing the correct information. They also need to stop changing the names of the benefits as it only adds to the confusion!!
  • Options
    The tax credit system is ludicrous, it makes my head hurt something shocking and I'm a benefits caseworker with a major national helpline. Clients always confuse the situation more, but the HMRC realoy are incompetent when it comes to running the system.

It's not the decision makers' (do you call them that?) fault, its the bloody computer system that does what it wants and ignores everyone. The thing I hate most is that HMRC will not, under any circumstances, admit a mistake unless you shout at them about it for weeks.

I'd agree about changing the names. But it amuses me how many clients still talk about the DHSS and ring up whingeing because they've had their "income support cut" (i.e. they've transferred on to the tax credit system).
  • Options
    I agree with you! In my experience the tax credits system is based on a load of temporary fixes and workarounds which isn't good enough. I'm on maternity leave at the moment but I know when I go into work on a morning I have a load of memos to read though regarding tax credits and what has gone wrong that day! Nothing ever works properly and where I work on the front line with the customer sat in front of me, it's me that takes the flack for it :(

The people on the tax credit helpline are called "advisers". It's not a job I would want at all, sometimes I can only work out what a customer is on about when they start showing me mini statements, award notices and P60's. Trying to suss all that out blind over the phone must be horrendous. Advisers only have the power to update the record based on the info taken on the phone rather than make a decision about the validity of the claim itself. "Decision Maker" I think is a social security term, relating to stuff like maternity grants, incapacity benefit.

Am I right in thinking you work for CLS and GWST works as a welfare rights adviser?
  • Options
  • Options
    The people on the tax credit helpline are called "advisers". It's not a job I would want at all, sometimes I can only work out what a customer is on about when they start showing me mini statements, award notices and P60's. Trying to suss all that out blind over the phone must be horrendous. Advisers only have the power to update the record based on the info taken on the phone rather than make a decision about the validity of the claim itself. "Decision Maker" I think is a social security term, relating to stuff like maternity grants, incapacity benefit.

I'm a Child Benefit 'adviser' but just found out today that the helpline is being moved somewhere else entirely and I'll be processing tax credits claims. I can't wait! :nervous:
  • Options
    I'm a Child Benefit 'adviser' but just found out today that the helpline is being moved somewhere else entirely and I'll be processing tax credits claims. I can't wait! :nervous:

Oh you lucky girl!! I hope you get some proper training!! I'm not sure what I'll be going back to in June 08. I'm not too fussed really....a job would be nice :)
  • Options
    GWST works as a debt advisor and I do work for a CLS Direct contractor.

I think the whole system is a shambles and should have been left to the DWP to run, and I think I'd agree- the worst mistake was trusting what the clients say. I've just had someone on the phone last week playing hell about an overpayment that's "unfair", and it turns out that the overpayment was because she couldn't be arsed to tell HMRC that her bf had moved in.

Decision maker is a DWP/local authority term, what do they call the people who make the decisions at the HMRC? Even my trusty CPAG book doesn't tell me that :lol:
  • Options
    I failed security checks for the tax credits helpline once, because apparently I had my own name wrong- crazy. It is near impossible to get any kind of communication with the tax credit people other than by the advice telephong number. I wrote and wrote and wrote, with no reply, requesting a written letter/statement from the tax credit people to state that I didn't recieve the child care element of tax credits. Crazier still that I needed it in order for the LEA to process my childcare grant, because my tax credit statements and bank statments not showing the childcare element was not enough 'proof' for them. Nearly all of the benefit department people have made me crazy with their beaurocracy at some stage or another, child benefit being the only exception.
  • Options
    Decision maker is a DWP/local authority term, what do they call the people who make the decisions at the HMRC? Even my trusty CPAG book doesn't tell me that :lol:

I can honestly say I don't know! Tax Credit Compliance Officers are the people who would look into a claim if they thought something was incorrect, but I think most of the decisions are made by the tax credit system itself.

Katralla - I have had similar problems myself and I've seen it happen to customers as well. Double barrelled or unusual surnames seem to fail security checks quite often from what I have seen (I don't know if you have one of those?) If you had popped into the tax office where I work I would have printed you off a payment schedule :)
  • Options
    yeah, I do have a double barrelled surname, which is unusual, as are all of my names really. What a pain in the arse.