Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

City bonuses reach an all-time record £14bn

124»

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Sour grapes.....? ;)
    Seriously, media/PR is a saturated buisness, every other person at uni is doing media or a variation of it, you'll only earn the mega bucks if you stick at it for a few years and rise above the rest.



    From what I understand, £30k in London isn't really that much, starting wage for police with London weighting is £26k.
    And your argument doesn't stand up, if it was as easy as you imply everyone would be flunking out of college and becoming brokers. Noone tells you about the sheer number of hours you have to work, i've heard 15-16 a day isn't uncommon. When you do the maths that works out at £8.30 an hour before tax, yearly I earn a lot less but i have great hours and no stress at all.


    Beanbags, i'm not insulting the blue collar people who do as best they can at school and then go onto working in a factory or whatever. What i'm saying is that if they stick at it long enough opportunities with much better prospects will open up. You can't just turn up in London and walk into Citibank and earn £30k from the outset, methinks a lengthy probation/apprenticeship would be in order first with wages much lower.

    my job pays me £12000 a year after tax, so it's approx 16-18k, which is with london weighting

    if i didn't live with my mum, i wouldn't be able to live anywhere near work, so at the moment i spend £100 -120 a month on travelcards round london
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    beanbag wrote: »
    Of course people choose thier jobs, that's obvious. But the whole point is that if people like me and other people in important but relatively poorly paid jobs chose to do something else, we'd all be screwed. So it seems your banking on the fact that some people will do tiring and stressful jobs not for decent money but for the love of it and out of sheer goodwill. Even though the evidnece shows that this is what they do (i'm a midwife because i want to help people, do a job where i feel i make a difference, not for the money) that doesn't mean you treat those people fairly if you take advantage of that by paying them shit wages. Yes, i do my job for the love of it, not for the money (who would do it for the money?), but that doesnt mean I don't deserve to be paid more highly given the difficulty and importnace of the job.

    It is about scarcity I think.

    If you consider the 'value' you give to society, it's immense - you deliver babies into the world. Anyone employed by the government, is according to economic theory, underpaid less than their value anyway :) but that's a different discussion!

    As a corporate banker, who negotiates, or helps negotiates, deals which bring thousands, millions of pounds into the country, their 'value' to society is - perhaps callously - more than that of a midwife.

    You can't put a price on a persons life. Well, actually you can, and economists in London already have. I think it's approximately £1m - that's the value someone will contribute to society throughout their lifetime.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my job pays me £12000 a year after tax, so it's approx 16-18k, which is with london weighting

    if i didn't live with my mum, i wouldn't be able to live anywhere near work, so at the moment i spend £100 -120 a month on travelcards round london

    That's due to a lack of affordable housing though.

    Have to say though, over the past 30 years, (1970s was the 'highlight'), we've actually regressed in the difference in earnings between the poor and the rich has increased.

    I'm hoping to be one of the rich, which is why I'm building up my CV and going to University.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I'd be quite pissed off if i'd spent most of my youth in education only to be paid the same as some slacker who couldn't be arsed and decided a good career move would be stacking shelves for the same company.

    I don't think anyone is suggesting that. But the amount of money people have and earn should at least have some correlation to the amount of work they do.

    Do you think that the CEO of HSBC does 250 times more work than, say, a police officer? A fire officer? A midwife? A soldier? Because I bloody well don't. And if he does, he should have a medal for working 25 hours a day.

    Yeah, people make their bed, and they tend to lie in it. I've gone into the charity sector because that's what I want to do, I've got excellent A'Levels and a strong degree from one of the country's best universities, I could earn more elsewhere. That's fine, and I don't begrudge my City friend who earns 6 times what I do, or my civil service friend who earns 4 times what I do. Them's the choices.

    What makes my blood boil is how we live in a country where the very top earn £14bn in profits, yet the very bottom barely have enough to live on. Even those fabled benefits scroungers, making ends meet on the £64 per week incapacity benefit, barely have enough to live on. I don't think everyone should be paid the same, because that would be stupid, but I think the poorest people should have enough to eat before we start justifying the fat cat bonuses of the mega rich.

    The HSBC fat cat bonuses come from all the illegal bank charges which bankrupt the poorest in society. The RBS fat cat bonuses come from the mis-sold endowments, the mis-sold insurance. The Boots fat cat bonuses come from sacking 3000 shop floor workers. As for Phoenix, well, words fail me, they should be in prison.

    As for envy, well, I wouldn't turn down a £20k pay rise, but I have enough money to eat well, drink well, and pay my mortgage each month. I don't need more. But that doesn't make it moral, fair or right than the very top fat cats earn in an hour what I earn in a month. Or, for that matter, that I earn in an hour what some of my clients receive in a week.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    If you ended up with just a pat on the back for making somebody else all this money, then you'd be pretty bitter and would have zero motivation to do the job and work the bloody long hours these people do.

    raflmfao
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    raflmfao

    ;)
Sign In or Register to comment.