Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

OleGEND

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Sad to hear the announcement tonight that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has retired due to injury.

There are many things that I could say about him and his contribution to United. But I have three main memories...

1. During a game, at Old Trafford, against Newcastle with United leading by a single goal and Rob Lee clear through on Schmeichel. Ole chased him and just hacked him from behind. Without even checking he just got up and started walking down the tunnel because he knew he was off...

That's commitment to the cause.

2. FA Cup, Third Round again at home but this time to Liverpool. United were struggling but first Scholes equalised before Ole struck in the last minute. It inspired the chant "Who put the ball in the Scousers net? Ole Gunnar Solksjaer".

gunnarliverpool99.jpg

Which leads me to the moment from that same season that every United fan will remember...

3. Barcelona, May 1999. Chant changed to "Who put the ball in the German's net?"

_40111835_ole_get_203.jpg

You are my Solksjaer, my Ole Solksjaer
You make me happy when skies are grey
Alan Shearer was fucking dearer
Please don't take my Solksjaer away...

LEGEND
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    And he still only looks about 10.
  • Options
    The Baby Faced Assassin

He's actually 34.

Still younger than me :(
  • Options
    He looks younger than that. Did he ever play for anyone other than United?
  • Options
    Yes Sofie, he played for a club in Norway - Molde and cost United £1.5m. Bargain.

Retirement Details
  • Options
    legend, will be missed. my favourite memory (other than the ones you've mentionned) was scoring 4 against Forest in 10 minutes.
  • Options
    16 touches and 4 goals in 10 minutes against Forest....going to be missed. :(

Hopefully he will stay on with the youth setup, can't think of more model pro to have train the youngsters.
  • Options
    I can't believe that your favourite moment was blatant cheating, Mr Kent. Disgraceful.

Where do Man Utd fans get their reputation from :chin:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I can't believe that your favourite moment was blatant cheating, Mr Kent. Disgraceful.

Not my favourite, just one of my fondest.

And are you seriously telling me that you wouldn't love a player who showed that level of commitment to the cause. It really sums up his whole attitude towards the club.

I've seen many players go through Old Trafford but I can't think of a single one with as much appreciation for what it means...
  • Options
    I've seen many players go through Old Trafford but I can't think of a single one with as much appreciation for what it means...

Keano.

I understand what you mean by the commitment and all but there's many more honourable things to remember him by. Good player overall.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    legend, will be missed. my favourite memory (other than the ones you've mentionned) was scoring 4 against Forest in 10 minutes.

That's one of mine as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPkJ3HDo9HM

Best substitute to ever play the game, but that doesn't even tell half the story.

True legend who will go down in Manchester United folklore. I wonder when his testimonial will be, and who they'll play against...
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Keano.

I don't think even he truly understands the honour.
  • Options
    Good player. Shame his last few years were blighted by inury. Good role model for any other player though.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Best substitute to ever play the game, but that doesn't even tell half the story.

David Fairclough. :cool:
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Good player. Shame his last few years were blighted by inury.

He still managed to get 11 goals to help us win the title last season. He always said during his long spells out that his dream was to come back and help United win a major trophy. He managed to fulfill that so he can retire proud and happy.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    He still managed to get 11 goals to help us win the title last season. He always said during his long spells out that his dream was to come back and help United win a major trophy. He managed to fulfill that so he can retire proud and happy.

Good for him! I just watched the Rob Lee incident, i can see why he did that now i think it wasnt in the penalty area where i thought it would be. Not very sporting though. :no:
  • Options
    It really sums up his whole attitude towards the club.

It really sums up the whole attitude of the club. That he and Keane are regarded as two of the best says everything.

He was a very good player, but he was a bit too much of a cheat to be a legend. But that's true of a lot of Man Utd players. Paul Scholes is far more of a legend than Solksjaer, because he isn't a cheat.
  • Options
    It really sums up the whole attitude of the club. That he and Keane are regarded as two of the best says everything.

He was a very good player, but he was a bit too much of a cheat to be a legend. But that's true of a lot of Man Utd players. Paul Scholes is far more of a legend than Solksjaer, because he isn't a cheat.

Solskjaer isn't a cheat though, nor does anyone believe he is. It's only in your mind.

Try and justify how Solskjaer was a bit too much of a cheat to be a legend.
  • Options

Gary Neville
  • Options
    Possibly Flash, very possibly
  • Options
    he was a bit too much of a cheat to be a legend.

You base that on one tackle, or the fact that he was a United player?
  • Options
    You base that on one tackle, or the fact that he was a United player?

Bit of both. But I mostly base it on his general behaviour, like when he got Sol Campbell deliberately sent off for doing nothing at Highbury in 2003. I don't expect you to condemn it, you lot found it impossible to condemn Keane for destroying Haaland's career. I don't think Man Utd fans know what sportsmanship is.

It's the same way I think that Roy Keane, no matter what he does, will never be a legend.

And it isn't ABU, because I'm quite prepared to admit that Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs probably are legends, even if Neville is a bit of a jumped-up twerp.
  • Options
    Bit of both. But I mostly base it on his general behaviour, like when he got Sol Campbell deliberately sent off for doing nothing at Highbury in 2003. I don't expect you to condemn it, you lot found it impossible to condemn Keane for destroying Haaland's career. I don't think Man Utd fans know what sportsmanship is.

:lol:

How did I know the Sol Campbell elbow was coming up. Is that the only bit of reasoning you have for thinking Ole is a bit too much of a cheat to be a legend?

Please furnish with some more examples of his cheating because to pin him on that is dubious at best. You've spraffed about this elbow before but the reality is, Campbell is a silly bastard and definitely connected with his elbow to Ole's face, of that there is no doubt. I really don't see how it's Ole cheating if he gets elbowed.

More evidence please, because if Ole is too much of a cheat to be a legend, based on that joke of an example, then no player in the history of football can be regarded a legend.
  • Options
    ole ole ole......if only other players had less ego and more commitment the prem would be a better place. the dude is even staying on at OT to coach, what a legend.
  • Options
    The world's best ever substitute perhaps? I wonder if there is anyone else who has solved so many games after coming as a sub. Have to give it to him.