Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How do you cook chicken?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you cook chicken so that the texture comes out all nice and moist throughout and the so that the meat separates really easily rather then clumps together as one big lump of solid meat?

When we go to certain restaurants the flesh comes off the bone really easily and the flavour is throughout the chicken but when cooking at home such as a chicken curry the flavour never seem to penetrate into the chicken... Must be more to it then just marinating? Does cooking faster or slower help?

Comments

• Options
    Do you mean a whole chicken or breasts and stuff?
  • Options
    Do you mean a whole chicken? or chicken breasts?
    If the latter i normally boil them from frozen for about 15 minutes, seems to cook it just nice
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    Do you mean a whole chicken or breasts and stuff?

I mean like in a curry or cook-in sauce kinda thing.

Like so often you use that but the flavours never go into the meat itself they just stay in the sauce and the actual chicken is very plain tasting.
  • Options
    I usually chop it up and fry it in some olive oil or something if its for a sauce like that.
  • Options
    I read this on a website

One way to ensure juicy, moist chicken is to brine it before cooking. To brine chicken, place thawed chicken breasts in a solution of salt and water for about 1 hour in the refrigerator. The cells will absorb water through osmosis.

http://busycooks.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/a/howtocookchixbr.htm
  • Options
  • Options
    Cook it slowly for a while.. it goes more tender the longer you cook it.
  • Options
    use smaller pieces?
  • Options
    Brining sounds :sour:

My friend is Indian and her Granny makes the best curries and Im pretty sure she boils her chicken first. Never done it myself though, boiled chicken sounds a bit yuck.
  • Options
    KFC uses a pressure cooker

http://www.kfc.com/about/pressure.asp

(BTW don't try it with you own pressure cooker - they're not designed for cooking with hot oils)
  • Options
    The slower you cook it, the more flavour you get in it, and the more tender the pieces of meat are. Blanching the chicken can quite often help, but I can never be arsed.

If you want real flavour, though, use your own sauces and avoid shop-bought stuff at all costs. Get your meat fresh from a butcher, too, as the meat tends to be better quality and much fresher than the stuff in the supermarket.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Curry houses generally boil the chicken first unless it's tikka or tandoori (where it's marinated and cooked slowly in a clay oven).
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Curry houses generally boil the chicken first unless it's tikka or tandoori (where it's marinated and cooked slowly in a clay oven).

The clay oven thing can't be right

Clay Ovens cook things fast not slow

A guy I worked with bought one for his wife - they get close to 500C - a lot hotter then a standard oven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandoor

http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Display=10

Cooking time should be less then 20 minutes

Skewers more like 8 to 10 minutes

Cooking in a clay "pot" (rather then a clay oven) does take ages though - like about 2 hours
  • Options
    I read how to cook chicken here
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Cook-Chicken
  • Options
    Cut the chicken into small mouthful chunks and leave to marinate on the cook-in sauce for a few hours, preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    You'll find that chicken from the curry house is boiled before they stick it in whatever dish they serve up. That's make sit soft, but the process stinks and it looks foul ;)
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Stir fry it?
  • Options
    Grill it. In a pan, in the oven, nothing tastes anywhere near as good as the grill. And screw if its 20 below and snowing, put on some flip flops and start up that grill :D charcole only though, after having tasted charcole grilling, gas blows :p