Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Traveling with Oyster

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
If your traveling within London on a Day Ticket is there any point in using a Oyster card ?

A day ticket is about £5 / £6, but you can use it all day and as much as you want. However with an Oyster your paying £2/£3 per journey. In that case if you plan to use public transport more than 2 times in the day is it better to stick with a Day Ticket? ?

Im confused :confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're using pre-pay with an Oyster, once you have gone beyond a certain amount (I think £6.10) you don't pay anymore.
    Nice one, thanks for that
    Yeah if you use an oyster it caps it at 30p less than the price fo buying a one day travelcard. Although that doesn't apply for trains as most train journeys you can't use oyster on.
    Oyster is £1.50 per journey.
    Oyster is £1.50 per journey.

Only if you are in the centre or making a short journey, if you're going out further, like say zone 1- zone 4 then it's £2.
    Whatever the per journey price is the total for a day should be less then buying a paper ticket. What I like about oyster is that in the past if I wanted to buy a one day travel card I had to either walk to the local train station for or pay for the bus ride to get there - now with oyster that bus journey is included.
    The other advantage of Oyster is that you don't need to work out whether singles or day travelcard would be better at the start of the day so if you aren't sure how many journeys you'll be making it doesn't matter.
    Oyster has a cap on it so you never pay more than the equivalent Travelcard price, and it has the advantage of not having to queue to buy the ticket in the first place.

Not valid on most train services though, so if you're using the train network in London, you'll need the paper ticket.